Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting and vary scary article. This is not a "what if". Although they started the article with "Someday it’ll happen, probably when you least expect it.", remember, it all ready happened to AutoWeek this summer, and will happen to you the first time you exceed 1g braking, which is very easy to do!
http://autoweek.com/printwindow.cms?articleId=101136&pageType=article
I could go into a "loss of freedom since 9/11" rant but I think I'll just go for a drive in my junky old car, instead. :mad :rolleyes :cool

·
Registered
23 Posts
After reading the same article, I thought the same thing. If having that ability to track you and your driving actually resulted in something positive, like lower insurance rates, then it might not be all bad. But I think we know that won't happen. It's great that such a system might recover your car if it is stolen (hopefully before it is burned), and it's great if they could get help to you quicker in case of an accident. But it's the additional information someone is tracking that bothers me. I too thought that it might be worthwhile to just hang on to the old MR2.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The future this technology certainly makes for a scary future. I am not sure I would appreciate OnStar ringing my car after a panic stop or spirited driving. But that is small potatoes to the potential of tracking people’s driving habits with GPS, using black boxes for speed enforcement, insurance companies monitoring driving habits and time traveled, etc.

With laws so far into the future, it doesn’t look like anything will be done anytime soon to curtail this. Even when a time comes for laws to be enacted, there is no guarantee they will be favorable to the public anyway.

·
Registered
275 Posts
In the 1974 model year there was a seat-belt interlock law. GM made it very easy to disconnect. What happens if the EDR should become disconnected ?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think it's inside the computer, therefore, the car wouldn't run. I think..

Anyone read 1984? Yikes

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I know there's a silver box under the center console in my VUE. It has some yellow-housed wires with yellow connectors plugged into it. That usually indicates it's airbag-related. At least that's what yellow meant when I used to install alarms (besides the ignition wire). Of course that was 10 years ago now.

I'll have to look into it and see if that's in fact the data recorder.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The '74 seatbelt interlock was mandated by the government against the automaker's objections. And, surprise!, it was easy to get around. But the original idea for an EDR came from the manufacturer's lawyers. I'm guessing they took the extra steps to make it as difficult as possible to bypass. I also predict, eventually, an after market developing with a piggy back chip to over ride it like the performance chips that came into being in the eighties. Of course it would void your warrenty as that's all a manufacture can control after point of sale. Unless they can lobby successfully to make such a chip illegal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Solstice Edr To Be Used In Court

I have a speeding defense where I am using my
EDR download to defend against a radar ticket in Petaluma CA. My EDR shows a top speed of 39 at the time of the stop, the officer claims 51mph in a 35mph zone. I was so sure that I was not speeding (it was soo obvious that this cop just guesses about 15 MPH over every time) that I called onstar to have a tech from my dealership come out and get the data, I would not restart the car until they got there. The cop would not stop checking out my date so I knew right away that he was just making the radar reading up, he just wanted to get a close up view of the car and the chick.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Hollywoodsol said:
I have a speeding defense where I am using my
EDR download to defend against a radar ticket in Petaluma CA. My EDR shows a top speed of 39 at the time of the stop, the officer claims 51mph in a 35mph zone. I was so sure that I was not speeding (it was soo obvious that this cop just guesses about 15 MPH over every time) that I called onstar to have a tech from my dealership come out and get the data, I would not restart the car until they got there. The cop would not stop checking out my date so I knew right away that he was just making the radar reading up, he just wanted to get a close up view of the car and the chick.
Technically, you still will get a ticket ... just a smaller fine.;) 39 in a 35 is over the limit by 10%. ;) I know ... 4 mph is little, but I bet they will just lower the fine to reflect 4 MPH over the speed LIMIT. ;) JMHO

BTW, was the chick Angelina Jolie ;) :lol:

·
Registered
308 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
Technically, you still will get a ticket ... just a smaller fine.;) 39 in a 35 is over the limit by 10%. ;) I know ... 4 mph is little, but I bet they will just lower the fine to reflect 4 MPH over the speed LIMIT. ;) JMHO
But no points most likely and the satisfaction of proving the point. However, if you thought the radar reading was false why didn't you ask to see it?

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
GoPlexi said:
But no points most likely and the satisfaction of proving the point. However, if you thought the radar reading was false why didn't you ask to see it?
:agree: you should ALWAYS ask to see the radar reading ... unless they use another method. Down here AL,GA,FL they can use airplanes, cameras, or even just follow behind you (get an average speed off of their speedometer :( ).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Solstice Black Box

I have been told to just be very compliant and sign the ticket, saving my argument for the judge. It is best to just be forgettable at the time of the stop and show up in court well prepared, it is not a good idea to plead your case to the cop who needs to fill a quota. In CA, the officer does not have to show you the radar as they team up with another unit to gun you and chase you down, I just thought that it was fishy that another vehicle passed me as the cop emerged from the alley.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Speeding Ticket Behaviour

Here is what a lawyer posted on the net:

Do not argue or plead your case. The roadside is never the place to conduct a hearing. To do so is a guaranteed losing situation, and all you'll do is get your story added to the cop's list of "Ten Best Excuses." Cops enforce, courts decide.

Remember that officers are usually not required to show you the readout on the radar gun (for their safety and yours.)

Be inconspicuous. If you make a fuss, the officer is more likely to remember you when you go to trial. That's bad, you want to be as forgettable as possible.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Vetronix onboard telemetry

I was amazed at the data! It showed braking, speed, g force, steering position, seat belt, passenger weight, fluids ect ect ect. This is all uploadable up to Onstar at anytime, anywhere. You can be tracked to 30 feet position with all data instantly!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
We're sorry, but the page you requested is no longer available...

Could somebody please summarize what was in the article? Is this an issue even if you don't have OnStar?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Chet-O said:
"Page no longer available". Could not access! Big brother does not want us to share the info.
I really want to read this article now. If anyone copy and pasted it as a doc file then please post.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts