Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This will be my fist convertible and i was woundering if not having a garage to protect her, will it be risky to leave the car outside all year long?

I'm more concerned about punks or jealous people slashing my roof...

Car damage aren't an issue in my town with non-convertible cars...are roof slashing a common thing with convertible or am I being paranoide?

Thanks

Claude

·
Registered
511 Posts
Kid-Colt said:
Hi,

This will be my fist convertible and i was woundering if not having a garage to protect her, will it be risky to leave the car outside all year long?

I'm more concerned about punks or jealous people slashing my roof...

Car damage aren't an issue in my town with non-convertible cars...are roof slashing a common thing with convertible or am I being paranoide?

Thanks

Claude
Just stay out of France with your Solstice
Kidding You my want to find a place to store it.
Or get an Instant Garage Just do some reinforcement to it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Kid-Colt said:
are roof slashing a common thing with convertible or am I being paranoide?Claude
That would totally depend on where you live.

I would get yourself a good car cover just to make the temptation just a little less appealing.

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
JetBlackE31 said:

I would get yourself a good car cover just to make the temptation just a little less appealing.
:agree: Get one with an under-the-car cable lock (my two cents).

--Chemist

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I used to park my old car in the driveway, but I told my mother that I wasn't doing that with my new car. I said she could park her car in the driveway if that's what it takes, but my car would never spend a night outside! We managed to squeeze them both into the garage. It's very tight, but at least my baby's protected.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JetBlackE31 said:

I was thinking of doing that... maybe I'll buy a Hyundai cover just to trow them of scent!! :lol:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JetBlackE31 said:

Is new-york ghetto a bad area? ... ;)

Just kidding, I live in the suburbs near Montreal ....nothing usually happens here, probably the only one with a Solstice.... ever!!... if not, I just hope i will be the only one with an undamaged roof! :leaving:

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Whenever and wherever you leave it parked outside and out of sight, leave NOTHING in the car and leave it unlocked. If they really want to get inside, they will, so give them no reason to want to get inside. To avoid the car being hauled away by a towtruck, keep it blocked in with another car between it and the street. Then you can sleep peacefully at night.

I NEVER locked my convertibles in my life, and I've had plenty of them. My locked Plymouth Voyager minivan got the passenger window smashed so they could steal my huge bag phone years ago.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
gizmo2004 said:
Whenever and wherever you leave it parked outside and out of sight, leave NOTHING in the car and leave it unlocked. If they really want to get inside, they will, so give them no reason to want to get inside. To avoid the car being hauled away by a towtruck, keep it blocked in with another car between it and the street. Then you can sleep peacefully at night.

I NEVER locked my convertibles in my life, and I've had plenty of them. My locked Plymouth Voyager minivan got the passenger window smashed so they could steal my huge bag phone years ago.

:agree: I agree with Giz, UNLESS you get a cover, then make it as hard as possible to get into. I personally cover my cars with covers that lock underneath. Already have one for the Solstice.

Remember that the more difficult it is to break the law the less likely of a crime.

That being said, from the sounds of where you live it sounds like you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
518 Posts
gizmo2004 said:

Same here. I had alot of ragtops, and never ever lock them, If Im carrying anything of value it goes in the trunk, and I override the inside release. If they want in, I say: "use the door".

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
What about the glove box though? How well do you think that can withstand someone trying to get into it? If I put my digital camera and iPod in there and lock it you think they'll be safe?

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
dori-san said:
What about the glove box though? How well do you think that can withstand someone trying to get into it? If I put my digital camera and iPod in there and lock it you think they'll be safe?
That would be at your own risk, dori-san. I wouldn't.

"leave NOTHING in the car and leave it unlocked"

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dealernut,

How much did you pay for your Solstice cover?... Is it the dealer one wich the word Solstice on it?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
dori-san said:
Only if you don't tell anybody that's where you put them. :lol:

Last time I recall a vert top getting slashed was back in the '60s, school-related. Key thing is leave nothing of value in sight. It's amazing that the most stolen cars are family sedans and minivans, not sportscars.

·
Registered
120 Posts
To Lock or Not to Lock

FWIW, have had convertibles for about ten years and have never once locked the doors for the reason stated here...if someone is desperate enough to steal something, they might be desperate enough to slash the top. It seems goofy, but I also leave a few dollars in the glove box so that a potential thief won't get mad when there's nothing of value and do some physical damage. I also leave a pouch of quarters in plain sight, for no particular reason other than it's convenient. Interesting, nothing has ever been lifted from my cars. Again, FWIW.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
robbers said:
FWIW, have had convertibles for about ten years and have never once locked the doors for the reason stated here...if someone is desperate enough to steal something, they might be desperate enough to slash the top. It seems goofy, but I also leave a few dollars in the glove box so that a potential thief won't get mad when there's nothing of value and do some physical damage. I also leave a pouch of quarters in plain sight, for no particular reason other than it's convenient. Interesting, nothing has ever been lifted from my cars. Again, FWIW.
Well, there you have it, straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak! I'm referring to your nicname, rob! That's TOO MUCH for this thread! :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
robbers said:
Well with a nickname like that, i'm thinking you never got robbed because of professional courtesy! ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
10 years ago someone slashed the top on my wifes rag top.
That was in her driveway in a nice neighborhood.
2 years ago someone broke the window of our SUV and stole her purse.
That was on a dirt road next to a river I was fly fishing.

You never know when it will happen.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts