Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of posts talk about the MSRP rising during the year. And by this I (and I think you) mean Pontiac increasing the MSRP.

The $19,995 is a real magical number. More so than perhaps any MSRP in recent years. Right from the get go Mr. Lutz said it would be under, and it is. It is a much a part of the Solstice as the engine or the top. In recent years GM/Pontiac ( most manufacturers) have made more of a habit of raising MSRPs during the model year. I think Pontiac has already had two on most car lines. But in the past, when there is a great number is sticks. Most recently 2004, there was a specially equiped version of the Grand AM SE sedan that was $18,995 at introduction. Even though the Grand Am prices went up 5 times that year, this car stayed at the $18,995 price. Before that it was value versions of the Montana. And even though other cars have gone up this year, both G6 and the Montana SV6 (our new models) haven't.

Again a long post to say, I think the $19,995 stays the whole model run.

Check back later for weather predictions and tonights winning lottery numbers. :)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
hehehe, I have to agree with you Small Dealer. As I mentioned elsewhere too, the Solstice is the average Joe Kappa, where the Sky is your middle Joe Kappa. I really don't think they're going to raise it's price because if so you'd end up with a car more expensive then the upscale Sky. Also, I don't think the Invoice/Dealer prices would have the margin in them that's there already if they weren't making sufficient profit on this car already.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
:agree: The sub $20K price will stay for a long time on the base Solstice. If they decide they need to increase margin, they can always increase the prices of some of the options a little, or try to limit the number of zero option cars they will make. However, that sub $20K price is a huge marketing point for the car. It will probably rise above $20K a couple model years down the road, but not anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
They will hold the present MSRP for the first year, then watch out, especially if demand is as high as expected. Chrysler made a big mistake in under pricing the PT when demand was high.

·
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brentil said:
Also, I don't think the Invoice/Dealer prices would have the margin in them that's there already if they weren't making sufficient profit on this car already.
That is another part of how Pontiac go to the $19,995. The Solstice has the lowest margin of cars we sell. 2%-3% lower then most. Which is also another factor in a dealer's selling price decision.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Hopefully Rick Wagoner can save GM money elsewhere and keep the Solstice priced where it is for a good while. When you compare the pieces involved to othere product like Vibe and new Torrant the Sol is still a little high, but we are also buying a little exclusivity.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sky > Solstice ???

brentil said:
hehehe, I have to agree with you Small Dealer. As I mentioned elsewhere too, the Solstice is the average Joe Kappa, where the Sky is your middle Joe Kappa. I really don't think they're going to raise it's price because if so you'd end up with a car more expensive then the upscale Sky. Also, I don't think the Invoice/Dealer prices would have the margin in them that's there already if they weren't making sufficient profit on this car already.
I've been keeping up with the Solstice, and check in on the Sky every once-in-awhile. I'm not sure where you are getting that the Sky is more upscale than the Solstice. Like I said, I don't keep up with the sky very much, but from what I've seen, the sky is the exact same car with just more gingerbread. I don't think random patches of chrome scattered all over the car make it any more upscale. The only real mechanical upgrade I see is the Sky plans on having an Automatic Transmission option right outta production, which is something the Solstice should have in February anyways.

Please enlighten me if I am mistaken.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Liam1694u said:
I'm not sure where you are getting that the Sky is more upscale than the Solstice.
GM is trying to take Saturn brand "upscale" sccording to many articles this past winter. You are correct they are the same car just different skin but they'll load Sky up with more options standard so it's base price will be higher than Solstice which can come stripped down more.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The Sky may have some nicer interior pieces too, or the appearance of nicer pieces. Since it is a completely new dash, they could spend the extra bucks for some real aluminum pieces, higher quality looking plastics, etc, which would make the car feel a little more upscale. It will also have more features standard that are extra cost on the Solstice, and I would also assume it will have a few extra options not available on the Sol. Its not going to be Cadillac upscale, but its not going to be a stripper like the base Solstice either.

solsticeman said:
One thing is for certain - the Sky is better than ANY SATURN out there yet...
Absolutely! :agree:

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Dodge held the price of the SRT-4 under $20,000 for the first year then raised it slightly in 2004 with some good mods to go with the price increase. :)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
flaj said:
Dodge held the price of the SRT-4 under $20,000 for the first year then raised it slightly in 2004 with some good mods to go with the price increase. :)
If GM does something like that then I feel a raised price might be warranted. Like slight redesigns or improved componenets/engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts