Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 19 year old son does not believe the Solstive will hold it's value. He thinks I(mom) should buy something else like a Vette or Boxer etc and spend a few more dollars. What do you guys think? I told him with the high demand and limited production, the Solstice should hold it's value for a few years. I think its because he may not get to drive my new baby and is a little jealous. :lol:
Aggressive

G

·
redhot said:
I think its because he may not get to drive my new baby and is a little jealous. :lol:
Aggressive

So, your son thinks a Boxter or a Vette would hold its value better? You should see what he says if you tell him that wherever the Solstice goes it gets more attentiopn than a Corvette or a Boxter.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I believe that the first year Solstice will increase in value over a long period of time. One has to remember the Solstice is a new and unique car. Keep the car in the family. When your son reaches his 40's. He will have a well sought after car. I purchased a new 63 corvette called the Sting Ray. A new and unique car for $ 4000.00. I did sell it. Today it is worth aprox.$38000.00 It was the split rear window coupe.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
My brother inlaw paid 45 000 for a 2001 corvette its selling for 28 000 in the classified ads today my new soltice will be a lot less lost than his vette.I think are soltices look a lot better. His car looks dated.

·
Registered
753 Posts
since you double posted i will double reply.it's important because a parents first responsibility is to try to keep their kids from harming themselves and/or others.

I think a 19 year old young man wants to upsell you to much more powerful car because he has visions of driving it himself at 150mph. I kid you not. I guarantee that his recommendation has nothing to do with his concern for the 'resale' five years hence. 19 year old males have difficulty

1. thinking about anyone but themselves

2. thinking more than 2 weeks into the future.

In the event that your son is the exception to this rule, I might add that a new boxster will depreciate more in 5 years than a Solstice would cost new. A 5 year old *any car* will have maybe 40-50% of it's original value so the "future value" argument doesn't hold water.

Personally, i think having a Solstice around is pushing the envelope with a 19 year old male in the house. I think you should buy a 1990 volvo 240 station wagon-preferably 4 cylinder- and keep your solstice in an undisclosed location until he's at least 25 years old.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
A Corvette costs more than twice as much as a Solstice ($45K to $20K). So lets say in 5 years, the Corvette still retains half of it's value ($22,500) and the Solstice retains only 35% of it's value ($7000) you will have lost far more in depreciation to the Corvette (22,500) than to the Solstice ($13,000). In fact, the Sol could be worth $0 after five years, and if the Vette still retains half of it's value you still will come out ahead.

That of course, is not counting on the higher operating cost of the Corvette too. Just check out the prices on it's EMT tires, or get an insurance quote on it! :eek:

I love Corvette's, but there is no way they are more economical than a Solstice. If they were cheap to own/drive, everybody would have one. :)

PS, 19 year olds have no business in a Corvette IMO. Way too young for such a powerful machine.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am sure 20 years from now there will still be several treasured Sols guarded by fanatic owners who love their american made car! Reminds me of how excited I was when I bought my 69 Mach I Mustang several years ago.............. :cool:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
redhot said:
My 19 year old son does not believe the Solstive will hold it's value. He thinks I(mom) should buy something else like a Vette or Boxer etc and spend a few more dollars. What do you guys think? I told him with the high demand and limited production, the Solstice should hold it's value for a few years. I think its because he may not get to drive my new baby and is a little jealous. :lol:
Aggressive
I wouldn't buy a car only because it will hold it's value, I buy a car because I like it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
redhot said:
Aggressive
If you have to spend twice as much to get a slightly better depreciation, what's the point. Go to the BMW website and check out leases. You are paying for the depreciation on the car. The cost of leasing a Z4 is about $29k for three years. You Solsitce only costs about that to begin with. The math is simple. Solstice is a great deal, if it drops in value to half in three years, you've only lost $15k instead of $29k.

·
Registered
23 Posts
NO car will hold it's value unless you tow it off the lot and leave it untouched. Plus, when the faster version comes out next year maybe, the 4-cylinder versions will go down even more. Maybe after 30 years when all other other Solstices (Solsti?) have rusted and gone away, the car may increase in value but that's about it. Sad, I know. Sorry!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks MCBMAN! I appreciate the link and info. I'm new to the site and missed out on soooooooooo much. I'll try to read more before I ask questions.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guys are great.Who cares if it goes down in value,it will be fun while it lasts. No my son will not be touching my Solstice. As he has his own 95 Mustang either will my husband as he drives a 99 Vette. We do not share cars in my family it is alot safer that way and no one gets in trouble. P.S. I bought this car because I love it. I remember seeing about 2 years ago as a concept car.Then advertised by my dealer I was in there the day next putting down my deposit,that was in April.

I was told it is built, I have a vin# now the wait continues. :yesnod:

P.S. I did get to drive my hubby's car the other day because we had been out . Some guys honked and waived, I just told my hubby to get use to it because when I start to drive my new RED Solstice that will be happening all the time :cool:

·
Registered
169 Posts
cdb said:
since you double posted i will double reply.it's important because a parents first responsibility is to try to keep their kids from harming themselves and/or others.

I think a 19 year old young man wants to upsell you to much more powerful car because he has visions of driving it himself at 150mph. I kid you not. I guarantee that his recommendation has nothing to do with his concern for the 'resale' five years hence. 19 year old males have difficulty

1. thinking about anyone but themselves

2. thinking more than 2 weeks into the future.

In the event that your son is the exception to this rule, I might add that a new boxster will depreciate more in 5 years than a Solstice would cost new. A 5 year old *any car* will have maybe 40-50% of it's original value so the "future value" argument doesn't hold water.

Personally, i think having a Solstice around is pushing the envelope with a 19 year old male in the house. I think you should buy a 1990 volvo 240 station wagon-preferably 4 cylinder- and keep your solstice in an undisclosed location until he's at least 25 years old.
:agree:
The same holds true for girls. My daughter would prefer a 240 Silvia drift car. But after totalling the Volvo, she won't get near the solstice. :willy:

·
Registered
109 Posts
First off, cars maintain their value if they're in high demand. Some cars that are so expensive, they apprecieate in value - like a Farrari. However, some cars are classics 2 or 3 generations after they're built, but nobody knew it was going to happen - like the first and second gen Corvettes.

Secondly, how can your son speculate this when even the Boxter doesn't keep it's value. I see them all the time going for 20K because they're slow and not very Porsche like (other then the headlights). Although, I do remember liking them when they had first hit the streets, I doubt the same thing will happen with the Sol or Sky. The C5 Corvette hasn't maintained it's value either. They sold for 45K and now you can buy them for under 30K. I had the choice between my 2002 TA WS.6 or a 2001 C5. I chose the TA because they're more rare, and it will maintain it's value better since it's the last of the breed. (Besides the fact that it looks better in my opinion.)

Thirdly, what does it matter if it holds it's value? I loved my 97 Formula and it wasn't within $20,000 of it's original price. I think it would have sold for 9K at the time if I hadn't given it to my friend. But I loved the car. That's what made it valuable to me. If you like the car, do you honestly feel that you'd sell it against your feelings? And if you don't like the car, you'll know soon enough that you could sell it before you put 1K miles on it.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts