Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plugged my cell phone into the USB port on my radio.
The amount of charge noted on the phone did not seem to change over the course of my drive.

Is the USB port on our radio able to charge a cell phone ?

·
Super Moderator
16,092 Posts
They do provide power. My ipods remain plugged in for months and receive a charge when the ignition is on. Some current phones require a higher charge rate that may not be met by the port

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have you tried a different cable? I had this same issue, and it was the cable that kept the phone connected, but wasn't charging.

(Same USB radio, but on a Sky)

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried a different cable? I had this same issue, and it was the cable that kept the phone connected, but wasn't charging....
I will do some more testing.

The pink cable you see in the photo is my main charging cable when the phone is in the house, so the cable is good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I will do some more testing.

The pink cable you see in the photo is my main charging cable when the phone is in the house, so the cable is good.
There are times when I'll plug my phone in, and I'll get a pop-up saying "this device is not supported". Phone will still connect to the radio, but will not charge. Taking the cable out, flipping it, and putting it back in, or rebooting the phone usually fixes this.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
As Rob stated, the port may not supply a high enough voltage to charge or charge very quickly. I don't know the exact current it supplies or what your phone requires. I have a Samsung S8 that charges rather quickly on it's charger, but when plugged into a USB on my computer at work, it will take all day.

At the very least, your phone may not lose it's charge when plugged into the radio.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
So the short answer is no, no it won't.

The engineer in me pushed me to go out to my car in the garage and hook up a USB meter with my phone. As you can see it pumps out all of 50mA. Just enough to power a thumb drive, but not much else. (Ignore the figures in the right hand column - those are summed numbers from previous uses of the meter.)

(Full disclosure: This is measured on my Sky USB radio that I retrofitted to my Solstice, and with the USB re-routed out the back (retaining original Solstice faceplate))

·
Super Moderator
6,474 Posts
As Rob stated, the port may not supply a high enough voltage to charge or charge very quickly. I don't know the exact current it supplies or what your phone requires. I have a Samsung S8 that charges rather quickly on it's charger, but when plugged into a USB on my computer at work, it will take all day.
At the very least, your phone may not lose it's charge when plugged into the radio.
I have an aftermarket kenwood with the usb out the back. It will charge my iPhone but it takes a LOOONG time.
The "older" USB power supplies would supply 1 Amp, but most newer devices require 2 Amps to charge "correctly". My phone gives me a "low power charger" warning with older chargers.
So the short answer is no, no it won't.
The engineer in me pushed me to go out to my car in the garage and hook up a USB meter with my phone. As you can see it pumps out all of 50mA. Just enough to power a thumb drive, but not much else. ........
(Full disclosure: This is measured on my Sky USB radio that I retrofitted to my Solstice, and with the USB re-routed out the back (retaining original Solstice faceplate))
You know, it ruins half of the fun of the forum when you supply facts that short-circuit all of the speculation and supposition.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The "older" USB power supplies would supply 1 Amp, but most newer devices require 2 Amps to charge "correctly". My phone gives me a "low power charger" warning with older chargers.

You know, it ruins half of the fun of the forum when you supply facts that short-circuit all of the speculation and supposition.
97.6% of all percentages are made up on the spot. I know thats true because I saw it on Facebook.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quick FYI-
Here are two pics of the iPhone app BatteryLife (1st pic not charging, 2nd pic while connected to the USB radio).

Hope this helps. OP, any luck?

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so, this data supports Soup's statements...

·
Registered
29 Posts
so, this data supports Soup's statements...
He arrived at 50mA from his test, and I received 290mA out of my charge.

I trust TS and he's helped me countless times throughout the years here on the board, but my 2010 USB radio definitely charges my phone. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
6,474 Posts
He arrived at 50mA from his test, and I received 290mA out of my charge.

I trust TS and he's helped me countless times throughout the years here on the board, but my 2010 USB radio definitely charges my phone. 🤷🏻‍♂️
i think that your phone is remarkably tolerant of low charging voltage.

You measured 290 mA at an unspecified voltage, while TS measured 50 mA at 5 V, which I presume is the capacity of the port he checked.
I am assuming that the 4.09 V is the battery voltage and not the port voltage, but it is not specified.

As I read the USB charging standard (found at usb.org) the port is required to supply at least 4.75 V at any current less than 500 mA.
Based on that standard, the port is not considered capable of charging, and most devices will not charge while connected to it.

Can you provide a shot when your phone is plugged into a "real" charger, preferably at the same state of charge (ie: 90%), for comparison?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can you provide a shot when your phone is plugged into a "real" charger, preferably at the same state of charge (ie: 90%), for comparison?
Yup! Great idea.
This is right now with an Apple wall charger and lightning cable. Took screenshots of 94, 95 and 97%.

I don't know electronics, but I do know that when driving around, whether using Google Maps or listening to a podcast, my phone is always charging.

·
Super Moderator
6,474 Posts
Yup! Great idea.
This is right now with an Apple wall charger and lightning cable. Took screenshots of 94, 95 and 97%.
I don't know electronics, but I do know that when driving around, whether using Google Maps or listening to a podcast, my phone is always charging.
Interesting. Your radio charges your phone, and TS's radio does not charge his phone. I see three possibities:
  1. The radios are different: Yours has the capability to charge while TS's does not.
  2. The phones are different: Yours will accept a charge from a low-power outlet while TS's will not.
  3. When TS relocated his USB port he did something to inhibit its ability to charge a phone.
I suspect 2 as the most likely situation. My phone came with a 2 A charger, and it has, on occasion, refused to charge from even a 1 A USB supply. Your app shows that the radio has a maximum capacity of 500 mA, so it is possible that TS's phone found that inadequate and didn't even try.

Which is pretty much what RtE said in Post #3, so I guess the answer to the original question is a definite "Maybe".

·
Registered
466 Posts
I just put a charger in the "lighter" socket when I need power.I have a 2 way& 3 way for it also if I need to power more then one device...like the gps intill I get around to putting in the radiddieo dvd thingy that has it..some day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts