Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a couple of aborted concepts several months ago, it still appears that no one has stepped up to run 2019. Having run one of the these, trust me you want as much lead time as possible. Is NASSAM 2018 - Colorado going to be the last one? Please...someone take the reigns!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
I have been hoping that someone would get inspired, but we are putting the plan together for a repeat in Lexington in case no one does.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
I think you guys need to do it in KY. I was hoping to see it move around but I guess the west coasters are too busy. Thanks for being willing to undertake it again so soon!

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I was hoping to see it move around but I guess the west coasters are too busy.
A lot of organizers have found that, in general, there is a lot better response to national events in the eastern half of the country.
If it is in Lexington, I'll probably be there.

·
Super Moderator
15,943 Posts
Rotating around the country is a great way to have the Nationals. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of groups that are willing to host a national that have not already hosted one.

Ours in Colorado this year is the second we have hosted. It does get easier with practice, but its a lot of work.

If you start holding the event on one coast only then it is no longer a National because half the country will not be able to show up. Alternating east and west is a good model. Keeps them close to everyone on a regular schedule and does not exclude any one region.

It will be interesting to see what happens in 2020. We might do a regional. Western Colorado would give access to the Ouray region, Moab and Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Lots of great drives there. We will see how people feel after this year.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
I think you can count SoCal out. We have a pretty active club, San Diego Roadsters, but very little interest in going east or hosting a National. We talked about a regional, which would be easier to promote to local business, but really no interest. No volunteers so to speak.

John if, you and Glen decided to do it again, I will make it back there.

·
Super Moderator
15,943 Posts
I would not like to see the event not happen next year.

Much of California is focused firmly on their own navel. I lived there twice and moved to Colorado as a result. We have plenty to do here but have actual weather and we don't have to worry about the ground dropping into the sea.

My experience has been if you don't have a core group of people who organize and keep the club active and interesting then they go away. Many of the highly active clubs from five years ago are now moribund.

My belief is that as the cars and their owners age, we lack the energy and excitement necessary to motivate clubs to host an event. Too bad but its natural.

We may regain some level of excitement and commitment as the cars continue to age and owners become more collector car focused.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
I have to admit I fit into the aging part. But have always traveled across the country to participate in things of interest. Have been to all 11 FJ Nationals, 8 or 9 Crown Victoria Nationals, motocross do not even want to count the Nationals and Supercross trips.

We have a pretty active club, they make a run nearly every month, but we are spoiled with the weather, although I am looking out the window at a couple of inches of snow as we speak. Came home in near blizzard conditions last night on 243. Most likely got a foot of snow above the 4000 foot area. Fortunately it will be gone soon. So maybe as the climate changes some of us will get the itch to move inland. I have been watching the Ouary/Delores area weather. Very similar to what we have been having in the mountains.

I am hoping the Colorado event sparks interest again. Overall it seems down, and the fact that the next one you are basically on your own, seems to me to hurt the volunteer effort. I mentioned the National in Colorado, and was asked by several of our members why would you want to go to that? Too far, too many miles to drive were always the comment. I guess because we spend so much time in our cars (daily driving) most really don't want to spend their vacation in them. I spent 40 minutes going 3 miles yesterday, and then sat at the exit for another 20 minutes waiting for the intersection to clear. Absolutely crap city planning. They want the taxes but don't build the infra structure to support the people. Off the soap box.

I hope it can carry on, but I have concerns after 2019. Again thanks JohnWR for taking this on.

·
Super Moderator
15,943 Posts
Good points.

I did not have a sense of highly motivated people in CALI when I lived there. Maybe life is too easy. LOL

We basically don't drive our cars here from October through April. Our first garage day is schedule for mid-late April and we generally start the season at Moab at the spring fling car show. Our last major event is usually the September Gunnison Car show extravaganza.

And with rare exception, we all have daily drivers that are NOT a kappa. So the Kappa's are babied and taken care of very well. Driving them is still a relatively rare and fun experience to be savored.

Unfortunately people who are not into the whole Kappa community don't see, old and new, at the annual gathering. We have some roads that make the Palomar road look like the kids trail. Mostly because they start at 6000 feet and go up and up. And up.

Looking forward to dragging your tired old butt around the mountains for a week. :driving::driving::driving:

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
..........I hope it can carry on, but I have concerns after 2019. Again thanks JohnWR for taking this on.
As long as I am around there will be an NASSAM, even if I am the only one here after everyone else gets tired of coming to Lexington.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
rob the elder;209589Alternating east and west is a good model. Keeps them close to everyone on a regular schedule and does not exclude any one region.[/QUOTE said:
Speaking for myself, I have to disagree because east or west coast if too far for me to drive living in Michigan. If memory serves right, when the Nationals were held in Ohio it was very well attended. Unfortunately, there isn't enough interest from anyone around here to suggest holding it in the middle of the country.

·
Super Moderator
5,849 Posts
Speaking for myself, I have to disagree because east or west coast if too far for me to drive living in Michigan. If memory serves right, when the Nationals were held in Ohio it was very well attended. Unfortunately, there isn't enough interest from anyone around here to suggest holding it in the middle of the country.
"East and West" does not refer to the coasts, but to the general geographic area. Canton was considered East, as were Asheville and Lexington, and none of those are particularly coastal.

Canton was the best-attended Annual Meet, partly due to geography and partly due to timing, as 2010 was arguably the peak of Kappa popularity.

What do you consider a driveable distance? I don't know where you are, but Lexington is 5-1/2 hours from Detroit, and within "a day's drive" of something like 60% of the population of North America.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Speaking for myself, I have to disagree because east or west coast if too far for me to drive living in Michigan.
I'd still like to see a rotation of east, west, central. That splits the work up and really makes it accessible to everyone at least every three years. But then what do I know. I just bought my car last year and have never been to a national.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Two years ago the GTOAA Nationals was held in Bellevue, a suburb of Seattle. If memory serves it was only the second time it had ever been held west of the Mississippi.

The local GTO club worked their collective butts off to find a venue, organize the main event, setup side events (including a post-show Alaskan cruise, and (most importantly) to get as many local Pontiac owners there as possible.

They even came to Jet City Fieros meetings twice to invite us. It was a steep show for a Fiero owner- $100 for the first car. We started with almost no interest, and ended up putting 13 cars in the show. This would not have happened if they hadn't been so inclusive and worked so hard at it.

My understanding is that it was the best attended GTOAA Nationals show in many years- over 500 cars. The concours section was mind-blowing. One attendee who drove from the east coast stopped at a Pontiac museum and picked up an old Pontiac inflatable balloon that was displayed There was also a ton of vintage signage.

Putting on a show like this is a huge amount of work. Much of which, if things go well, is never noticed. No matter how great and full of possibility a venue/location is for a national event, it will suck if the locals aren't enthusiastically signed up to put it on.

Seattle/Portland and NorCal would be fun locations with lots to do- great roads, tracks available for autocross, go-karts, amazing scenery, etc. But absent a well-organized, energetic group to scheme, organize, evangelize, and breathe life into the event the potential and need to have it at a specific location or region isn't relevant.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
What do you consider a driveable distance?
Four hours is about my driving limit, which I know isn't very much to a lot of people. However I have no horse in this race, what's important is that the Kappa National continue to go on from year to year.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
I say this not endorsing a certain site, and after a lot of thought, do not think the town of Ouary would be a good site for a NASSAM. Too much chance of rain and snow.

Having a National at a specific site is normal. Floating all over the nation is not. Unless it is part of a series.

I again point to the most successful Toyota National Event. Toyota FJ Summit in Ouray, Colorado. Trucks come from all over the world to be part of this. Last year 457 vehicles were allowed into the event, it sold out in 37 seconds, a few seconds longer than the prior year. Why? Held at one of the most beautiful off road areas in the world. City totally endorses the activity and it brings millions of dollars into a small town. They like us and want us there. The whole town supports the event. It is their busiest week of the year. They close the main highway thru town for pictures of all the trucks on Sunday morning.

It is regular, you know when, where and what you need to be there. People have been doing the same event for 11 years, they have it all figured out. Sign up for it is at 10.00am on 1 April every year. Sign up is over before 10.01 every year.

Find a place semi centrally located, stabilize it. Use some of the profits/charity money to front the next event. Work together to promote and approach outside sponsors for the event. Change the date to the Fall Solstice. (better weather)

Starting over with a new event every year, new organizers and volunteers, it is doomed for failure. You will never get a major sponsor to cover some of the cost doing it this way in my opinion.

Thanks to all the people that have stepped forward and done these. The cost, the time, the effort and the chance you have taken is far beyond what most of this group could ever realize.

Arkansas/Missouri area gives you the Ozarks. Move it to late September, I think it would grow and grow quickly, Find a little town that needs something, you will be surprised how much they will do to promote it year around.

Just because it has been done one way for years, does not mean it is the best. It thrived when GM was involved. I think it would again with a similar sponsor.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,195 Posts
Just because it has been done one way for years, does not mean it is the best. It thrived when GM was involved. I think it would again with a similar sponsor.
Here's the past statistics for NASSAM:

Code:
Year	City	           Cars	People	Vendors/	Charity
					Sponsors
2006	Kansas City	    100	189	7	2135
2007	Nashville	    162	265	4	6572
2008	Las Vegas	    108	170	10	2300
2009	Denver	            125	250	19	12400
2010	Canton	            203	350	8	5000
2011	Austin	            136	200+	5	5500
2012	Asheville	    156	251	7	1200+
2013    Flagstaff           125 197     3	6000
2014    Poconos             185 320     5	~2000
2015    Portland            108 208	6	9500+
2016    Ozarks              128	232	15	21,130
2017	Lexington, KY	    165 269     6       9,000
2018    Denver, CO          to be added
2019    Lexington, KY?      to be added
2010 was the last year that any Pontiac money was involved. It was the largest due to it's location. Michigan and Ohio were two of the largest states when it came to Kappa sales. The others were California, Texas and Florida.

I agree with everything skersfan said in the prior message.

:thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
15,943 Posts
The truth is that most owners don't care. They just drive their cars and have fun with them. They are not into organizations or groups. It is the exception to have an active club that continues to hold events and get 20 to 30 people to show up at them.

I think we may be at the point where we could start discussing holding a national at a fixed location though. Somewhere mid country, where the humidity is not debilitating. :)

One byproduct of having so many different groups hold events is we do have a lot of experienced people who conceivably be coerced into supporting a national in a central location on a recurring basis.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
several people mentioned here have been invited to a 2019 exploratory Group on FB

John Reidel is one of them.

not trying to pre-empt or step on anyone's toes...trying to make something happen in upstate NY

1 - 20 of 36 Posts