Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,951 Posts
I am all for an event in upstate New York. The Finger Lakes and Watkins Glen would be a great location, but if you do your exploration on FB you'll be doing it without me.

I do urge you to explore quickly. Even with last year's experience I do not want to do another fast-track plan.

·
Super Moderator
5,951 Posts
...... It thrived when GM was involved. I think it would again with a similar sponsor.
This comment made me think, so I went back through the prior Annual Meet statistics and compared the number of cars attending each one to the number of cars on the road at the end of May for that year. From 2006 thru 2010 the number of cars on the road is the number produced through the end of May according to the production data that we have. In every year from 2007 thru 2017 3% of the cars on the road the year before were deducted to allow for normal attrition.

Kansas City (2006) saw 0.49% of the available cars attending the meet, and Nashville (2007) had 0.30%.
Lexington (2017) and Poconos (2014) were 0.25%, and Canton (2010) was 0.24%
Asheville (2012) was 0.20% and Ozarks (2016) was 0.19%
Austin (2011) was 0.17% and Flagstaff (2013) was 0.16%.
Portland (2015) and Denver (2009) were 0.15%, and Las Vegas (2008) was 0.14%.

The only real pattern is that eastern meets tend to be better attended than western meets, but the presence or absence of a sponsor doesn't seem to matter.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
There is also the option of piggybacking onto another annual Pontiac or GM Event. The location and hotel rooms are already chosen. Though I know it would take additional coordination, planning, and of course money independent of the Pontiac event itself. I've listed a couple as examples, but I'm sure that there are other annual Pontiac or GM events around the country.

2018 POCI International Convention
Wisconsin Dells, WI ~ June 24-28, 2018
2501 River Road, Wisc. Dells, WI 53965
2018 POCI Convention - PONTIAC OAKLAND CLUB INTERNATIONAL (POCI)

2018 Ames Performance Pontiac Nationals - Family Camping
August 3, 2018, Summit Racing Equipment Motorsports Park, 1300 State Route 18, Norwalk, OH 44857
Pontiac Nationals Results 17

Carlisle General Motors Nationals, 22-24 Jun 2018, Carlisle Fairgrounds, Harrisburg, USA
https://10times.com/carlisle-gm-nationals

2018 NW GM Nationals, Pacific Raceways, 31001 144th Ave SE, Kent WA 98042, September 15th, 2018
http://www.pnwcc.com/northwest-gm-nationals/

GM Nationals, 6/22/2018, Carlisle Fairgrounds, 1000 Bryn Mawr Road, Carlisle, PA 17013
GM Nationals

·
Super Moderator
5,951 Posts
Stand corrected. But without you we are at the end of the line it appears.
Assuming that is the case, although the recent interest in upstate New York may push that back yet another year, is it the end of the line or the beginning of what you and RtE are advocating?
Having a National at a specific site is normal. Floating all over the nation is not. Unless it is part of a series. ....... It is regular, you know when, where and what you need to be there. .........

Find a place semi centrally located, stabilize it. Use some of the profits/charity money to front the next event. Work together to promote and approach outside sponsors for the event. Change the date to the Fall Solstice. (better weather)

Starting over with a new event every year, new organizers and volunteers, it is doomed for failure. You will never get a major sponsor to cover some of the cost doing it this way in my opinion.
Lexington is only a couple of hours away from the population center of the US, it is an area that is very favorable for driving events, and we have a hotel area that is well suited for our needs. I haven't been anywhere else that has as much going for it, but I clearly haven't been everywhere. Maybe there is another location that has what we need and someone to do the organization, but I haven't seen evidence of it yet.

The weather here in June may not always be optimal, but many people like the idea of coinciding with the Solstice, and December is even worse for sports car driving. Somehow, having the event during the Fall Equinox doesn't have quite the attraction.
There is also the option of piggybacking onto another annual Pontiac Event. The location and hotel rooms are already chosen. Though I know it would take additional coordination, planning, and of course money independent of the Pontiac event itself. I've listed a couple as examples, but I'm sure that there are other annual Pontiac events around the country.

2018 POCI International Convention
Wisconsin Dells, WI ~ June 24-28, 2018
2501 River Road, Wisc. Dells, WI 53965
2018 POCI Convention - PONTIAC OAKLAND CLUB INTERNATIONAL (POCI)

2018 Ames Performance Pontiac Nationals - Family Camping
August 3, 2018, Summit Racing Equipment Motorsports Park, 1300 State Route 18, Norwalk, OH 44857
Two problems with this. One, most of us don't want to get lost in a larger meet and two, I drive a Saturn.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Two problems with this. One, most of us don't want to get lost in a larger meet and two, I drive a Saturn.
Added a couple GM Nationals shows, and then there;s also the Street Machine Nationals where anyone can drive anything. Then's for the real driving enthusiast there's also the Hot Rod Power Tour. But it's true there is the possibility that Kappa's could get lost in a larger event, though I would hope there would be a designated Kappa parking area if it ever happened. OTOH, seeing a 100 Kappa parked together at a larger car show would be quite a spectacle and a way to bring more recognition to the Kappa platform by auto enthusiasts. The very type of people I'd like to see take more interest in Kappa's. Also, these larger car shows would expose Kappa's to a younger crowd, a demographic that is needed for it's long term survival.

I know it's a long shot, but as long as we're brainstorming here there may come a time where we have to become creative in order for the Kappa Nationals to contiue.

Something else I'd like to see is a designated videographer. Once the Sols are parked, during the winter I spend a lot of time searching out and watching Solstice videos, like the ones Julius posts from time to time. So it would be nice to watch a Kappa Nationals during the cold months for those of us who park them.

·
Super Moderator
5,951 Posts
Certainly those are valid points. Now all we need is someone who thinks it is the best way to go to actually do the planning and organization to make it happen.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had just purchased my car when the 2017 event happened and I really wished I could go. 😕 If it made it's way back to Lexington I'd be really interested.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Julius is a great guy, he has been a great supporter of our Palm Springs run. He attends most of the San Diego Roadsters events, (which have been few and far between lately), but his love, is his TR4. I know he travels all over to show is car. The Sky they drive is his wife's. I have mentioned the Colorado National, but did not get the impression he had any interest in going that far. I hope to talk with him at the next event, will find out if he is coming. Will let you know.

John is it in your hands, it certainly appears that way.

·
Super Moderator
5,951 Posts
As far as I know, the group working on New York is still moving forward, although I haven't seen anything official recently.

In any case there will be an NASSAM 19, because if New York falls through we still have time to set up for Lexington.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As far as I know, the group working on New York is still moving forward, although I haven't seen anything official recently.

In any case there will be an NASSAM 19, because if New York falls through we still have time to set up for Lexington.
I'm on the planning committee for both 2019 and 2020. Both are a go. 2019 is finalizing the motel and has runs planned already along with getting a website and promo video, and getting committments from vendors. 2020 - the motel has been secured, runs planned, vendors recruited and a charity selected. :grin:

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
2019 will be posted officially when the hotel is signed.

The Date and location will be made public when that happens

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
no sir.....did Durango & Silverton in 2016 with the Texans and 2009 NASSAM
I have no vision in one eye (no depth perception) and those roads with steep drop offs and no guardrails I cannot handle

2019 will be represented though by 2 members CLBrinkley and Sal Blumenkron

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Time is running out?

Maybe, it depends upon your age and mental and physical state. It also depends upon the bank balance and our cars. All that said, if there's a National schedule for 2019 East of the Mississippi River, I'd sure like to attend. I missed out on too many Wagon Fests with the B-Body wagon guys. You cannot go back although sometimes going forward is not all we'd like. It's risk, adventure and hope that keep the ride interesting.

Stay in motion.

Richard Snipes

21 - 36 of 36 Posts