Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a CD in the mail today for a AutoShow in Motion for Houston Setember 8 through 11. Anyone know if there'll be a Solstice there? I don't dare hope they'll have one to drive but I'd be overjoyed if they had one I could just sit in. I'd like to get behind the wheel and see if I actually fit. And maybe make Varoom, Varoom, noises since the Miata camp's all going Zoom, Zoom, Zoom at the same location the following weekend.

·
Registered
114 Posts
they had one for display only in NY. but GM should get some of these pre-production cars into these test drives events, its the only chance alot of interested buyers may get to drive it.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
AutoShow in Motion: Anaheim 2005-08-14... No Solstice

Down in Anaheim, they had lots of Vettes, a CTS-V... No Solstice.

There was a red Sky behind ropes to ogle, but it had an all black interior... with just plain black inside, it looked... well... plain.

The exterior and the red are glowing and highly reflective. The styling is growing on me slowly, very slowly, but the Solstice still looks wonderful and hands down better.

Oh, the Vette's brakes will astound you. :eek: That thing can generate some awesome stopping power when you ease in the pedal.... The reaction I got from the ride-along driving instructor was, "You don't have to come to a stop!" as we entered turn 2 (the chicane). I had all 4 singing on the ragged edge of lockup (didn't dip into the ABS), but that thing sure pulled hard in the braking. :yesnod: The pedal was firm and easy to modulate with the slightest adjustments in pressure to keep the negative G's at the limits of the traction. Very well balanced too, from a front to back perspective. Many cars have too much rear bias, and will way too easily lock the rear tires well before you get to the limits of the weight transfer onto the front tires.... Overall, I'm very impressed. Don't know if I'd want to spend my $55,000 on one, but they work very well.

Then, when I was a bit braver with the G's the car could pull in a turn, having been through 3 turns, he got concerned in turn 4 asking me to slow down a bit, So, I pulled the beast back down to 15 MPH on the straight before the final turn 5 back into the paddock.

The course is very short, but autocrossers should be happy. As a Road Racer, I really wanted to get at least 2 laps (having never driven a Vette before) so that I could then exercise closer to 7/10ths of the limits of the vehicle....

Some of this was a bit off topic, but I would expect to see Solstices in the AutoShow in Motion in the future.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like I'll be having fun. Last fall they closed the C6 course just after we got there. Told my son they must've seen us coming. This time we'll get there early and if need be, wear disguises.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts