Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided on wheels finally. I'm going with the Axe CS Lite in hypergrey. I think it will be a nice accent to my car. But I need to make sure they'll work. Here are the measurements and the new tire specs:

5x110
+40 offset
18x8.5

Tires:
255/40R18

I know that I will have to get a center bore adapter as the one with this wheel is 72.6mm.

Please let me know if these will work. I'm having them drilled to a 5x110 from the maker....so they are unreturnable!!

·
Super Moderator
7,009 Posts
This is a Sky with 40mm offset wheels and 50-series tires,
Your sidewall would be 6mm further out.

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 5.54.16 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 5.58.28 AM.png

Anther Sky with stock wheels and 1" (25.4mm) spacers.
Capture.JPG Capture1.JPG

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you get like a +50 offset? The tire will stick out 20mm compared to the stock ones.
I can't. They come in +38 or +40. They said they would drill the correct holes for me if I ordered directly from the factory. Problem is their factory is in Europe. So it'll take 4-6 weeks to even get them. And I have to pay for shipping of $50/wheel too. We are still working on that detail. I'm trying just to get them to ship it over with a normal shipment, but they haven't responded yet.

I really haven't been able to find anything that I really like. I don't want black wheels...and I don't want polished aluminum. Some chrome is okay. It's like getting a tattoo...and that's why I don't have a tattoo...haha

John,
The silver one from the rear looks like it's out further then the top pic from the front.

·
Super Moderator
7,009 Posts
John,
The silver one from the rear looks like it's out further then the top pic from the front.
It should, because it is. The top picture shows a wheel whose outer rim is 15mm out from stock. The tire is a 50 profile instead of 45, so it will fill the wheel well a bit more, but won't necessarily be wider. The bottom pictures show a stock wheel and tire 25.4mm out from stock.

With a 40mm offset and 1/2" wider wheel, your outer rim will be 21mm (15 + 6) out from stock. Somewhere between those two sets of pictures.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree with John that these rims will stick out roughly 20mm from stock (15mm for rim offset + 5mm for half tire width change).
What I find odd is that the company will custom drill the holes, but not customize the offset. Moving from a +38 or +40mm offset to a +50mm is material removal from the back of the mating surface of the rim. Meaning they just grind / turn away 10mm from the hub face of the rim. This would have to be done before the drilling to ensure the countersink surface (where the lug nut taper sits in the rim) is in the correct spot.

What you are looking at is the equivalent of running a 20mm spacer (0.79"), which is pretty thick.

Could you move back to a 245/45/18 tire to save 5mm on the outer tire position and run the +40mm rims?

·
Super Moderator
7,009 Posts
What I find odd is that the company will custom drill the holes, but not customize the offset. Moving from a +38 or +40mm offset to a +50mm is material removal from the back of the mating surface of the rim. Meaning they just grind / turn away 10mm from the hub face of the rim. This would have to be done before the drilling to ensure the countersink surface (where the lug nut taper sits in the rim) is in the correct spot.
There probably isn't enough material in the wheel hub/spoke interface to allow 10mm to be removed. It seems odd that they would offer two offsets that are so close together, but 38mm is likely to represent minimum cleanup of the rough casting with 40mm being the maximum.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could you move back to a 245/45/18 tire to save 5mm on the outer tire position and run the +40mm rims?
I could use the 245/45/r18 tire. I haven't purchased anything yet.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So after doing a ton of research (was looking at a more commercially available wheel), I've found several other forums saying that it's okay to use 5x112 on a 5x110 bolt pattern with no issue as long as they are torqued to spec. The only issue it will cause might be a minor blemish on the wheel itself. This is coming from an Audi and a Mercedes forum that I searched. Not sure I want to try it. But some tire shops and some wheel forums have all said that wobble nuts are fine going from a 5x110 to a 5x112...just to make sure they are torqued properly. They said you would never even know that you have them with that minor of a difference. It's only 0.4mm difference which is about a human hair. What's everyone thoughts on this. Just asking because I found another wheel i like and can get it in a 5x112 which comes in a +42 offset.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have no idea where the .4 mm funny math comes from, but this isn't the first time I've seen it.

Yes, I know it's (112mm-110mm)/5 lugs. I don't know why anyone thinks those numbers are relevant.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have no idea where the .4 mm funny math comes from, but this isn't the first time I've seen it.

Yes, I know it's (112mm-110mm)/5 lugs. I don't know why anyone thinks those numbers are relevant.
It was all over that way...even some of just the wheel forums. I know how it's measured...from lug 1 to lug 3 or lug 4...so yeah, not sure how they're getting this either. I think they are taking the 112-110 and dividing by 5 which gives the 0.4mm. So I think they're using it as a circumference. I guess I go back to the original question, are wobble nuts safe for 5x112 being only 1mm off on each lug? All the wheel forums and higher end luxury forums are saying yes. I can stick to an 18" wheel and get an 8" to 9" width and a +40 to +45 offset...maybe even a +50 or +55....

·
Registered
326 Posts
They are generally just as safe as any other after market wheel or lug nut. That is - make sure you're getting good quality parts, installing them properly, and using them within their design limits.

You'll definitely want to install and torque by hand every time to make sure they are lining up (or would that be not lining up?) correctly, and probably re-torque fairly frequently until you can confirm they aren't loosening. There are more moving parts in the system, which means more tolerance stack up and potential for parts to stretch/compress at different rates, particularly fresh out of the box.

You will absolutely have to have a well fitting hub centering ring, and you'll have to make sure that the new wheel and nuts fit your studs, both in terms of thread pitch, length, and seat. Pretty much everyone uses a 60 deg. cone seat these days, but if someone is going to muck that up it'll be the Germans.

For what it's worth, I know someone that once ran a 5x112 wheel on a 5x114 wheel for years before even realizing it. No wobble nuts or anything. Kinda scary, but they never had an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
I check my torque frequently for my wheels after putting on TSW Silverstone wheels .The center bore was 72.1 & offset 40mm with back spacing 6.070. No problems so far . Doing this educated me on different wheel set ups which i knew very little about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts