Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's on old chestnut that says it's better two wait one or two (or even three) model years to buy a new model of car after it's first introduced so that any bugs or problems unique to it can be identified through extended consumer usage and (hopefully) rectified as production progresses. So, ignoring any wait there may be for a turbo or supercharged higher h.p. Solstice, I'm just curious; will some of us wait to see how the car performs in everyday use, or will you be camping out on your Pontiac dealer's doorstep waiting to buy the first one that rolls off the truck?

Cheers,

Neil

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
As long as my finances are in order a year from now (and they should be) I'll be there. If you're going to take a chance on GM, you might as well go all the way and get the buzz out of having something unique for awhile. Might get an extended warrantee though, I don't know.

·
Registered
753 Posts
i would buy one today if i could. i'm waiting for the cars to be actually offered before i make a deposit because i want to order my options and colors.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Not me! I've been a Beta tester on too many models already. I will wait for you folks to test the waters (so to speak) first. I want the SC anyway, but with the prospect of $3.00 per gallon for gas next year I may keep my bike.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Possibly. I haven't had a roadster since the 70's, and recently had a strong urge to get back in one again. Not sure why the desire is just coming back now, but it's strong enough to make me consider a 1st year model if I can find a color I'd be happy with over the long haul.

I pre-ordered a first year 350Z and only had one mechanical issue in two years of ownership (covered by warranty). If the Solstice was a high end vehicle with a lot of extra technology that could fail, I would be more leery of a 1st year model.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I too will be looking to purchase right away if my finaces are in order.Depends if my children aren't desparate at University hvae two there. :lol I think that there are two schools of thought. 1. Being a new model the workers on the line will exercise more awareness to their jobs. 2.Being new there will probably be some gremlins, hopefully GM is going the whole nine yards and testing everything before releasing this gem. Maybe thats why it's taking so long.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I'll be jumping in the deep end with a pre-order as soon as they open it up.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
:agree

Unless there's something in the official ifo that stops me from wanting a Solstice I'll be pre-ordering one myself as well. And there would be very few things to stop me from pre-ordering year one. Like they announce year two or even year 1.5 get some sort of TurboCharger or SuperCharger option. However if I know I can buy a dealer isntallable upgrade package though I'll be perfectly happy.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I will be ordering next spring as soon as they have some official order information released. I am no too worried about having a first year car. Sure there could be problems, but I have purchased some 4th year cars that are problematic too. If there are any major issues early on, GM is bound to do the recalls and/or fix them under warranty. Its a little bit of a hassle to take it to the dealer, but the car is not going to be a daily driver for me so it won't be a crisis if they need to do a repair.

Also, new cars are getting better at introduction for not being horribly problematic. There are exceptions of course (Ford Focus) but it seems most of GM's recent releases have not been plagued by a million recalls and overall have been fairly trouble free vehicles. Besides, if the first year cars are really big lemons, I'll just upgrade to a higher output version a couple years down the road (which I might do anyway). :cool

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I'll be buying late December 2005, as that's when I pay off my Ranger, which will be given to my son for his 16th birthday. I'd buy sooner, but 3 car payments is too much. I'm hoping that it will be out long enough for the 'over sticker' deals to be done with, and that buying one in the dead of winter will also help with the price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts