Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that it seems that Solstices will be in our grubby mitts in the not too distant future, has anyone considered buying the GM extended warranty (say 5 years/75,000 miles) because they are going to keep this car a long time? I don't know the price, but it seems that whenever I keep a car longer than 3 years, something does go wrong with it between the 36th month and 48th month (usually the 37th month :) ).

·
Registered
515 Posts
Rogobuck said:
Now that it seems that Solstices will be in our grubby mitts in the not too distant future, has anyone considered buying the GM extended warranty (say 5 years/75,000 miles) because they are going to keep this car a long time? I don't know the price, but it seems that whenever I keep a car longer than 3 years, something does go wrong with it between the 36th month and 48th month (usually the 37th month :) ).
Depends on cost.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Nope, not for me. It could be worth the money on any one particular vehicle, but over the long run extended warranty's just don't pay for themselves.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Chris said:
Depends on cost.
And as I found out when I bought my Tacoma it is negotiable. Also make sure who is the warranty being bought from, GM or a sub-contractor, if it is a sub make sure they have a good reputation and ask if GM will back up the gurantees.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...oh yeah?

Fformula88 said:
Nope, not for me. It could be worth the money on any one particular vehicle, but over the long run extended warranty's just don't pay for themselves.
I paid $500 for my last extended warranty (100K or 6 years). I had over $2000 in repairs covered by it. I will definitely try to get one on the Sol, which I plan to keep a long time.
:cool:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
RichSol said:
I paid $500 for my last extended warranty (100K or 6 years). I had over $2000 in repairs covered by it. I will definitely try to get one on the Sol, which I plan to keep a long time.
As I said, it can pay for itself on any one vehicle. But most vehicles do not need as much money in major repairs as it costs to get the warranties.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Being in auto sales I can say it is definitely a "maybe"..haha. You have to way the cost versus the years you own cars. Not the "I plan on owning it" years but the actual years you typically own cars. Now, the warranty may be cost prohibitive at this point since it is a brand new vehicle with no history to base the price off of. Also, if you buy one and do decide to trade or sell it before you take it to full term...most companies will prorate the amount left and refund it to you. The general rule of thumb, once you do decide to get a warranty, is to get one the same term as your loan...assuming you are financing more than three years. For those of us that will be doing 5,6 or (god forbid) 7 year loans...DEFINITELY get one that lasts as long in years and miles so that all you have to pay for is your payment. AND...dont forget GAP insurance if you take out the long loans as well. Whether from the dealer, finance source or your local insurance company...its still a good idea.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nope. I never get extended warrantees. Just more profit margin for your dealer.

If the car can't get to 100,000 miles without major repairs, I probably don't want the car.

Others may want the security but I will just maintain my vehicle, save the money and deal with any misfortune if and when it arrives.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...maybe

Fformula88 said:
As I said, it can pay for itself on any one vehicle. But most vehicles do not need as much money in major repairs as it costs to get the warranties.
I agree with you generally. But this is a "first of it's kind" type of car. If any car begged for an extended, I think an unproven model like this one does. Look how many recalls they have had already.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
RichSol said:
I agree with you generally. But this is a "first of it's kind" type of car. If any car begged for an extended, I think an unproven model like this one does. Look how many recalls they have had already.
To each there own I guess. An extended warranty is essentially a "peace of mind" purchase. A cushion so you are assured that if something major does go wrong, your not in it for big money. That is fine if someone really wants it. If you can get one for $500 and 100K miles as you did, it may be very worth it too. I just have never seen prices that low. I recently helped negotiate a Saturn for my mother, and they wanted $1500 for 50K miles or 6 years. My Jeep's extended warranty for 72 mo or 100K miles would have been about $2500 (although that was bumper to bumper). Both with $100 deductables.

·
Registered
753 Posts
find out how much time you have to purchase. i believe that you can pick up the warranty any time before your factory warranty expires. it is not a decision you need to make at the time of purchase to the best of my knowledge.

·
Registered
278 Posts
deepdawg said:
The general rule of thumb, once you do decide to get a warranty, is to get one the same term as your loan...assuming you are financing more than three years. For those of us that will be doing 5,6 or (god forbid) 7 year loans...DEFINITELY get one that lasts as long in years and miles so that all you have to pay for is your payment. AND...dont forget GAP insurance if you take out the long loans as well.
this is exactly what i plan to do. i got the 6yr/100k bumper to bumper extended on my celica and even though it brought my payments up like $15 a month for the term of the warranty i still feel good about it. if i break anything, or it if breaks on its own the dealer fixes it. plus it came with a full roadside assistance, towing, and free rental car if any thing goes wrong. finally a worry free car!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I was adamant about not getting it until the finance officer got it to a $1 difference from waht my monthly would be if I didn't get it. Yeah, I know he was trudging the numbers, but I didn't care. If I had walked away from teh extended, he surely would have kept the rate the same.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I'm a risk taker, so I say no warranty!!! :)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Of all the cars I have purchased new, I have only purchased one extended warranty. I kept that car 5 years and drove it 70,000 miles and never once used the extended warranty. I will never buy another!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have been in sales putting 50,000+ a year on my cars. I have purchased extended warranties on all of them. At first I had five year unlimited miles, made off like a bandit. The last cars have been three years 100,000 miles. In the last three cars, one I made out nicely, the other three I saveda bout $200 over the cost of the warranty. The last one cost $1200. On my wife's cars were the mileage is low I have not purchased one and have come out a head. I have thought long about the Solstice and plan to check into it. The last two I have purchsed it is cheaper if purchsed when new, and I had to purchase it in the first 12 months, but since I was putting 36,000 miles on in about nine months I would have had to purchase at that time. Since it was cheaper at the start I just purchased it then and put it into the zero financing at the time. Also I have had better luck with GM plans then third parties. I have had seven in the last 18 years.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I was one of those never get an extended warranty type of guys until my last purchase. I bought a 01 Nissan Frontier SC crew cab (supercharged).

Wife said "get the warranty", I said "yes Mam." cost was $1000. In June, the truck just lost all power, and started gusseling gas (how can you tell when it only gets 16 at the best of times).

Put the meter on it and had a knock sensor fault. By the time I got to the dealer two days later (it was the weekend) I also had to O2 sensor faults.

Dealer gave me the bad news that afternoon. Bearing going in the supercharger (1700) cause the knocksensor (360) to short. That caused two of the 4 O2 sensors to fry. (192 ea). That on top of a rental car (35 a day for 5 days) cost me 82 dollars (diagnostic fee for my warranty). I will get it again.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts