Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I brought this topic up once before, But this time I thought I would make it a poll.

1. Paint it to match the body color.

2. Leave it alone. Just black.

3. Colorcode it to match the front silver honey comb grill.

4. Paint the outer part body color, and the inside silver honey comb to match the from grill.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Since I'm getting to old to bend down and look at it. I'm taking the attitude that if I can't see on a walk around or from the diver's seat,I probably am not going to do anything about it.

Unless our firends at Kappsphere come up with something total sexy, then all bets are off.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Not sure what you mean. Almost all cars have plastic bumper covers these days. Would you want it made of metal or something?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Will You Do Something About The Plastic Rear Bumper?
Think it'd be a great place to hang my front license plate. :)

Put me down as "Probably"

Two other options
1. Replace it with an aftermarket billet grill (hopefully that matches the aftermarket front billet grill). Personally, I'm partial to thin horizontal bars but I'm sure there will be a large variety to choose from.
2. Remove from the car and open all the honeycomb holes, either by individually cutting them out or just sanding off 1/8" from the back with a belt sander.
I'm leaning towards the first but I might do the second in the mean time, while the aftermarket gets up to speed.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I thought Mitch was talking about the honeycomb piece under the rear bumper.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Gravana Carbon Fiber

MITCH said:
I brought this topic up once before, But this time I thought I would make it a poll.

1. Paint it to match the body color.

2. Leave it alone. Just black.

3. Colorcode it to match the front silver honey comb grill.

4. Paint the outer part body color, and the inside silver honey comb to match the from grill.
Gravana plans to produce carbon fiber replacements for the lower piece, with three options:

A- OEM Exhaust Exit Location
B- Dual Split Exhaust Exit Location
C- Dual Center Exhaust Exit Location

Jim

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Jim, I'm not trying to be rude or anything. I'm just curious. What's the purpose for the dual exhaust? Is there a HP increase? Otherwise, I would call BS on it and call the owner a poser.... I must say I like the idea of the center exhaust...I thought it looked really hot on the concept car. Sorry, Bob, I'm not going to tow anything with this car!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I think a polished aluminum front gril, with polish aluminum rear honeycomb (and with polish aluminum wheels) would look amazing.

I would want either dual exhaust or dual center.

·
Registered
182 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
Jim, I'm not trying to be rude or anything. I'm just curious. What's the purpose for the dual exhaust? Is there a HP increase? Otherwise, I would call BS on it and call the owner a poser.... I must say I like the idea of the center exhaust...I thought it looked really hot on the concept car. Sorry, Bob, I'm not going to tow anything with this car!
Todd,

Nothing rude about opinions and/or constructive criticism. In fact, without it, we would be stuck building one style of each part. I always welcome it!

The focus groups chose the dual split exhaust tips as their #1 favorite, followed by dual center and single rear side. As for a power increase, our experience in the past with duals tips on a N/A 4-cyl. Ecotec has been limited to non-measurable gains in HP, but a deeper sounding note and a style option. Please keep in mind, this is not a complete dual system from the manifold, but simply dual resonators and/or dual tips.

The Borla prototype we have on the car now is a single tip and it sounds great. It is deep and crisp.

Jim

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
Jim, I'm not trying to be rude or anything. I'm just curious. What's the purpose for the dual exhaust? Is there a HP increase?
It's really funny, the Solstice people are trying to get duals and the MX-5 people want to swap from duals to a single to save weight. Too bad they can't just swap... :lol:

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
I think it is for cosmetic reasons and I prefer duals, or centered exhaust. IMHO, the Sol and other sports cars look "unballanced" with a single sided exhaust.

·
Registered
31 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
I think it is for cosmetic reasons and I prefer duals, or centered exhaust. IMHO, the Sol and other sports cars look "unballanced" with a single sided exhaust.
I agree. IMHO, I also like the symmetrical look of dual exhaust, even if it isn't a true dual system from the manifold.

I didn't mind the honeycomb - looked much better, IMHO, than some continuous plastic wrap around. And isn't it an acoustical resonator? Didn't I read that it is there to accentuate the rumble from the exhaust?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts