Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Will your Solstice be driven in winter weather?

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Winter Driving

Has anyone driven the Solstice in the snow yet?

It snowed yesterday and more coming tonight.

My Solstice is hiding in the garage.

Smitty

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
My Sol has only hit the snow once this year that really counts. We had a heavy wet snow one evening just as I was ready to leave to go home. In the less that two miles from my office to my house I experienced the fun of learning to drive a new car in the snow. The Sol handles fine in the snow even on turns except when I gave the car gas or backed off the gas. I was in second gear when the problem occurred. In both cases the rear end wanted to come out on the car. The next time I am in real snow I'll try third gear in lieu of second. I think the problem was the torque from being in second gear as compared to a higher gear. My Miata handled well in second, I'll just have to find the right combinaton for my Sosltice. The first time I get into snow for any good period of time, I'll post my findings.

·
Registered
284 Posts
IF my car comes this winter I will be driving it every day. but by the way things are going I probably won't be driving it until the spring time so it's really a moot point. (this is where the :up yours: smiley would go if there was one [this is directed to GM of course])

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I will be driving it this winter - not as a daily driver, but when ever I feel like it :yesnod: it will not hide the winter away in storage.

BTW - DeconED just posted a positive review of the Solstice's handling in the snow :thumbs:

·
Registered
905 Posts
If I get mine this winter, missed out on driving it in the Summer and Fall

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,379 Posts
I had mine out the other day after snowblowing the driveway. I live on a hill, and sometimes it's tough to get up the drive with the RWD vehicles. The Sol, with LSD, went up with no problem, as long as you were gentle with the loud peddle. :lol:

The stock tires have decent traction in snow, but not like having dedicated winter tires. If you drive carefully, you shouldn't have any problems.

Corrosion on the underside from all the salt on the roads is another problem altogether. So the Solstice is still going to stay in the garage, most of the time.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder if there will be a problem with ice slush building / freezing up between the inner / outter fender and the tires? Anyone notice a build-up? There is not much clearance between the fenders and the tires.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Chip said:
I mean real winter weather, not southwestern US weather. I ask this as the snow is flying in central VA.
Y'all have real winters, we have real summers.................. ;) , but I would have to. I probably would drive it around Alvin if it were to snow again this Christmas...........the snow was real by the way........... :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts