Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the back, rear plastic bottom of the Solstice. The Car looks so nice with it's finish, But the rear bottom looks wierd.

It kinda looks like it doesn't belong.

I see alot of cars with the blackish gray plastic all over them, And was thinking that I might have the bottom rear of my Sol. painted the same body color. But, I'm really not sure.

Anyone else thinking about covering their drab plastic rear bottom? Mitch :cool:

·
Registered
203 Posts
It's funny you mentioned that...

When I was at the Detroit party, The sol's were lined up outside about 25+ cars.
I was talking to another forum member, and I stated "there are 2 things I hate about the Car"

As I said that, ( not to loudly btw) There were 2 men in suits passing behind me. They were GM execs and they politely asked what they were..

I told them I personally did not like the Chrome Door handles ( they look out of place to me, esp on a Dark car) and the rear panel which you speak of.

He gave me some reasoning why the chrome door handles were there and no reason for the rear bumper.

I simply stated there was no way you were going to please everyone in a mass produced car. But they did seem to appreciate the feedback..

And you are correct, If your not happy get it painted....
This is one reason I chose the Triple Black.

FJ

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was thinking about doing that also and cutting out another hole to run a Y exhaust for looks. Can I assume we can order the paint from GM?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Yeah ... that different color panel has bugged me too. I also mentioned painting it to match the car a couple months ago. But I think I'll have to wait and see the car first. It seems to be growing on me a bit, so it may not bother me as much in person. The fact that it's almost black also means that the little artsy holes in it go unnoticed ... kind of pointless to make something that's hard to clean like that if it's not even going to stand out. One of the original show cars had it painted to match and I liked the look better (first pic). The second is how it looks now

Attachments

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I have not figured out the purpose of this piece yet. My guess is that it can be removed (any confirmation from the delivered cars on this?), so that when you get the performance dual exhaust that you simply replace that panel. Would make it easy in the plastic die to have an insert for the full part, and remove the insert to make the "dual" exhaust version. Being done in only black (molded color) that makes it more cost effective as well. That's only my guess on all of that though.

I have not yet decided it I want to paint it body color (I've ordered Deep), or if I want to pait it to match the windscreen trim. I'm going to have to play around a bit once I get my car... or order two replacement parts and paint them each and see what I like on the car.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SlySol said:
Yeah ... that different color panel has bugged me too. I also mentioned painting it to match the car a couple months ago. But I think I'll have to wait and see the car first. It seems to be growing on me a bit, so it may not bother me as much in person. The fact that it's almost black also means that the little artsy holes in it go unnoticed ... kind of pointless to make something that's hard to clean like that if it's not even going to stand out. One of the original show cars had it painted to match and I liked the look better (first pic). The second is how it looks now
Thanks Sly!

Your pics answer my question.

I will have it painted aggressive red, to match. Thanks for the cool pics. Mitch :cool:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
anticd70 said:
I was thinking about doing that also and cutting out another hole to run a Y exhaust for looks. Can I assume we can order the paint from GM?
You would have to get the paint from an auto paint store.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it would be cool to make your own (fabricate), and maybe a dual exhaust setup, with SOLSTICE etched into it. Or maybe an LED setup..?? Maybe overdoing it here, but anything thats unique... Later........ :lol:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
CHROME IT!

That's my solution for everything. if you can't add more watts or make it louder then chrome it!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
MITCH said:
Thanks Sly!

Your pics answer my question.

I will have it painted aggressive red, to match. Thanks for the cool pics. Mitch :cool:
Don't forget to tape off the honeycomb! If you paint the entire thing it's going to look cheap like an untaped Maaco paintjob. Leaving the honeycomb dark will give it extra character and make for a more 'factory' look, see:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
dori-san said:
Man, is that car F'in gorgeous or what! Hey, how'd you get an aggressive with the two-tone interior? Photoshop?

BTW - I just put the Avatar and signature line together :lol:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
dori-san said:
Don't forget to tape off the honeycomb! If you paint the entire thing it's going to look cheap like an untaped Maaco paintjob. Leaving the honeycomb dark will give it extra character and make for a more 'factory' look, see:

Chrome the honeycomb! That would look awesome!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
SlipSlider said:
Chrome the honeycomb! That would look awesome!
Actually, that might be kind of cool looking. I don't like lots of bling-bling, but there are few chrome highlights on the rest of the car like around the headlights and the door handles, but none on the rear. So some chrome on just the honeycomb insert might add some nice symmetry and make the cool pattern stand out. It might be too flashy, but I'd be interested in seeing it that way to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
What is with people on this forum and chrome? I can't stand the stuff.

Personally I wish the door handles were paintmatched.

I hope you're not talking about the whole thing, even deep in the honeycomb. I could see maybe painting it [the surface] silver or something so that it looks like the front grille. But they should have done that and paint matched the surround anyway. Oh well, they had to stay cost efficient.

And actually, to be perfectly honest. Looking back at my 'chop... I don't really like it as much. The whole flat black panel has really grown on me and I'll be leaving mine that way.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
I will make mine match the front grill.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
dori-san said:
I could see maybe painting it [the surface] silver or something so that it looks like the front grille.
Yep ... that's exactly what I was thinking. It would make the pattern actually show up. As it stands now, it's barely visible because it's black and so are the holes. Like you said, chrome may be a bit much, so that whole piece painted body color (like in the concept car pic that I posted earlier) might look better. I'd like to see it different ways before I make up my mind. Anyway, I don't like the fact that they changed that piece to black for production ... but it's a minor issue that can be taken care of easily enough.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
dori-san said:
What is with people on this forum and chrome? I can't stand the stuff.
I'm not sure it's everyone. I'm sure it's just me.

Chrome is what the gods use as mirrors.

I just made that up, so it might as well be true

1 - 20 of 21 Posts