Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an inexpensive way to give the above car a little more rumble/sports car-like sound?
I am not interested in changing the entire stock exhaust system, but am wondering whether there is an add on/(removal) item that would make the car sound a little more throaty.
Only mod to engine is a CAI
Thanks for all suggestions

·
Administrator
9,206 Posts
A Flow Master or MagnaFlow muffler will give you a throaty sound. No need to replace the entire exhaust system.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Find a complete, take off, gxp exhaust and bolt it right up. Usually can find cheap or even free. Cost would be for a dual valance, but car will look better and sound very good!

·
Super Moderator
6,309 Posts
Find a complete, take off, gxp exhaust and bolt it right up. Usually can find cheap or even free. Cost would be for a dual valance, but car will look better and sound very good!
I agree completely. Many of us with 2.4s have gone this route, and I think it is the best sounding option although there are many who prefer the Magnaflow that MomsSol mentioned.

To expand on this, the stock exhausts are one piece from the bottom of the cat to the end of the tail pipe, so replacing "the whole thing" is actually the easiest option since there is no cutting. One comes out and the other goes in.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,342 Posts
Mike mentioned replacing the rear valence, and that is the route i followed, but many have simply cut the extra opening in the stock valence. The outline for it is already there, and if done carefully it looks 95% the same.
On the Solstice (because this is the Solsticeforum), the rear valence does not have the outline of the exhaust cutout on the driver's side. :toetap:

I sometimes get confused posting on the forums and mess up my posts. Double check, yep, Solsticeforum!

:wink:

·
Super Moderator
6,309 Posts
On the Solstice (because this is the Solsticeforum), the rear valence does not have the outline of the exhaust cutout on the driver's side. :toetap:

I sometimes get confused posting on the forums and mess up my posts. Double check, yep, Solsticeforum!

:wink:

Just one more indication of the superiority of the Sky over the Solstice, I guess. I'll edit my post.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,342 Posts
So I am going to assume that when using the stock valence you first make a template from the passenger's side to use when cutting the driver's side.
I guess that would work, the problem as I see it is that you end up cutting through the simulated grillwork that is back there, and I just don't like that look. There is a solution to this problem and he's located in Mishawaka, Indiana.

<GRIN>

·
Super Moderator
6,309 Posts
I guess that would work, the problem as I see it is that you end up cutting through the simulated grillwork that is back there, and I just don't like that look. There is a solution to this problem and he's located in Mishawaka, Indiana.

<GRIN>

So I'll take it all back, and you have to buy the new valence. I really thought that someone had done a Solstice, but obviously I'm mistaken.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I have a stock GXP exhaust in Northern California if you're interested...

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,342 Posts
So I'll take it all back, and you have to buy the new valence. I really thought that someone had done a Solstice, but obviously I'm mistaken.
The solution is to get a GXP rear valence, usually from someone who has done a Norm's replacement valence, they used to be fairly available via the forums and/or FB.

When I had a minor issue with my stock rear valance, a phone call to Dave @ PAW had a stock rear valence on it's way promptly.

YMMV

:thumbs:

·
Registered
437 Posts
i reckon I may have to look into this too... but I have another question...why is everything up north or out west.....errr but Im used to it with my aircooled vw&porche stuff. Ive had a lifetime of racing, I dont need loud, but a little more than the oe single wood be good, and probably flow a tad more.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
I’ve seen Solstice rear valances cut for duals and it looks terrible. It ends up cutting through the pattern in the valance. Now, on a Sky it can be cut out and can look nice. Unfortunately Solstice and Sky valances are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Flow Master Muffler

A Flow Master or MagnaFlow muffler will give you a throaty sound. No need to replace the entire exhaust system.
I went the Flow Master route and regretted it on my 06 Sly. It was too loud for me in the cockpit and in 5th gear if you lugged the engine at all it reverberated inside the car badly. I drove the car like that for several years and finally had the Flow Master removed and the original muffler reinstalled. To each his own but the Flow Master was not for me.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I think more cam shaft would help too.....I too dont want a lot of noise, but I do want flow and to hear a nice sound when I step on it,I enjoy quiet when cruising around & down the highway.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
I think more cam shaft would help too.....I too dont want a lot of noise, but I do want flow and to hear a nice sound when I step on it,I enjoy quiet when cruising around & down the highway.
Cam changes aren't a great way to alter exhaust sound as it isn't easily predictable and can wind up with the wrong profiles for your driving style.

These guys make the best exhaust components I've seen - https://shop-solo-performance.com/en/24l-pontiac-solstice-years-2006-2009/1409-2006-2009-na-axle-back-exhaust-kit-pontiac-solstice-24l.html

That rear system, if it suits the budget, should solve the issue. $334, owner installable and reported to improve the sound - you could post for actual users here to see who knows first hand.

·
Registered
49 Posts
High Flo cat from Solo with the stock exhaust has helped out NA to sound a bit better.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
I have a stock GXP exhaust in Denver I'd sell cheap.

My dad just tried to find the best prices for a factory GXP rear valence. Through all his research the Hendricks GM dealership in North Carolina was by far the cheapest. This is the same Hendricks Motorsports of NASCAR.

He ended up ordering through them partly because of the best price and partly because he wanted something from Hendricks, lol.

·
Super Moderator
6,309 Posts
Of all of the 2.4 exhaust options I have heard, and i think I have heard all of them, the only one that sounds good to my ear is the stock one from a GXP/RL.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Let me start off by saying your not going to get a throaty exhaust sound on the cheap unless you remove the muffler and that ends up sounding annoying . I've had a MagnaFlo cat back system on my car since day two .It's been through a few set ups ,stock , solo header , header and Werks Performance cat ,and now with a Hann turbo kit and I've always enjoyed the sound for me a true sports car sound not like a rice burner . I've never experienced any type of drone with all my set ups and would recommend this system it's well made ,all stainless ,and easy to install .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts