Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,
I have recently installed a wind deflector to my Solstice and it looks great. however, there is a problem. With that wind deflector the trunk door is stuck sometimes and cannot be released without hand interference. In addition, the rubber strip of the trunk is being torn out a little bit and being not symmetrical on the left side (See photos attached)!
My questions are:
1. Should I remove that wind deflector before it causes a problem or just to keep it until the rubber strip fits itself to the wind deflector?
2. If the rubber strip is torn out, will water penetrate into the trunk?
3. Is there a way to buy an extra genuine Solstice trunk rubber strip in case the one I have is completely damaged? If so, what is this part number and where do I find it?
4. Is there a way that this wind deflector causes a hood damages if it is fitting tightly?
I appreciate your advice..
See pictures..
Anan

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
Hi Anan,

Many people have switched to a different style of wind deflector to avoid the issue you are having. The different style attaches to the waterfall panel right behind the seats, avoiding interference with the trunk seal.

1. I think that you should either remove it or adjust the position of the trunk lid to accommodate the thickness of the deflector. This could result in a water leak if the deflector is not in place, and can be difficult to do correctly, but it is the only way to avoid damage to the seal.
  2. Yes. Although most of it will be captured by the gutter that is built into the top.
  3. The seals may be available, but I have not seen one for sale. It is called a "Weatherstrip, Rear Compartment Lid" and the part number is 25825371
  4. Yes, depending on how tight the gap was originally, it could be causing damage. From your description I believe that yours is a problem.

·
Super Moderator
16,446 Posts
You have a type 1 windrestrictor. The other version John described above is the type 2. Most have preferred the type 2 because it does not impact the seal and it remains in place with the top up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Anan,

Many people have switched to a different style of wind deflector to avoid the issue you are having. The different style attaches to the waterfall panel right behind the seats, avoiding interference with the trunk seal.

1. I think that you should either remove it or adjust the position of the trunk lid to accommodate the thickness of the deflector. This could result in a water leak if the deflector is not in place, and can be difficult to do correctly, but it is the only way to avoid damage to the seal.
  2. Yes. Although most of it will be captured by the gutter that is built into the top.
  3. The seals may be available, but I have not seen one for sale. It is called a "Weatherstrip, Rear Compartment Lid" and the part number is 25825371
  4. Yes, depending on how tight the gap was originally, it could be causing damage. From your description I believe that yours is a problem.
Thank you so much John. I think I am gonna remove that part. Do you know where I can find a thinner wind deflector?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have a type 1 windrestrictor. The other version John described above is the type 2. Most have preferred the type 2 because it does not impact the seal and it remains in place with the top up.
Hi Rob, Where do I find that type 2 deflector?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello again people,
I read a lot about two types of Solstice deflectors (V1 & V2) but still do not know which one I have: Is V1 the one sits behind the seats while V2 the one sits in the trunk? Is V1 the thicker (1/4 inch) while the V2 the thinner one (1/8 inch)?
Must both types of deflectors be removed every time the car is parked for a continuous period of time?
Can somebody send me two pictures or videos that illustrate the difference between the two types of wind deflectors?
I read all the discussion on these two old conversation from 2008 and 2013 (see links bellow) but still did not understand the difference between the two.

Windrestrictor Ver 1
Windrestrictor V1 or V2 or Kappashield?

Is V1 the deflector that appears in link 1 bellow, and V2 the one appears in link 2?

I appreciate your input...

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
Hello again people,
I read a lot about two types of Solstice deflectors (V1 & V2) but still do not know which one I have: Is V1 the one sits behind the seats while V2 the one sits in the trunk? Is V1 the thicker (1/4 inch) while the V2 the thinner one (1/8 inch)?
Must both types of deflectors be removed every time the car is parked for a continuous period of time?
Can somebody send me two pictures or videos that illustrate the difference between the two types of wind deflectors?
I read all the discussion on these two old conversation from 2008 and 2013 (see links bellow) but still did not understand the difference between the two.

Windrestrictor Ver 1

Is V1 the deflector that appears in link 1 bellow, and V2 the one appears in link 2?

This page describes the options pretty well: Pontiac Solstice 2006+ Windrestrictor

f talking about the WindRestrictor brand of wind deflector:
The V1 is 1/8" thick and is usually screwed into the trunk. This is shown in the second video.
The V2 is 1/4" thick and is mounted to the waterfall panel inside the car.

Other brands may be different, and may use different terminology.

In addition to potentially damaging the trunk seal, the V1 style can rub against the rear window if it is left in place.

If I was leaving the car in the sun for a long time i would think about taking either of them out to keep them from being damaged by UV and heat, but that may not be necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Hello again people,

Windrestrictor Ver 1

You have a type 1. Don't know if anyone has tried it, but with some modification, you might be able to mount it in the type 2 position.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This page describes the options pretty well: Pontiac Solstice 2006+ Windrestrictor

f talking about the WindRestrictor brand of wind deflector:
The V1 is 1/8" thick and is usually screwed into the trunk. This is shown in the second video.
The V2 is 1/4" thick and is mounted to the waterfall panel inside the car.

Other brands may be different, and may use different terminology.

In addition to potentially damaging the trunk seal, the V1 style can rub against the rear window if it is left in place.

If I was leaving the car in the sun for a long time i would think about taking either of them out to keep them from being damaged by UV and heat, but that may not be necessary.
Thank you my friend. I think I will remove that v1 and order a v2 instead. I think I will order from Home page

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a heads up if you decide to go with the newer version. It’s offered in clear and smoke, and you can have it custom engraved. I opted for the smoked version, but have found that it does contribute some glare when using the rear view mirror.
Outward visibility in these cars is lacking to say the least. Backing up at night with the combination of the smoked deflector and terrible back up lighting is risky business. Even in daylight, you have to concentrate on looking “through” the deflector.
As much as I like the smoked look, it’s not the practical choice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts