Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me (and del_utz) being picky, or have any others noticed what you consider excessive wind noise coming from the rear of both the driver's and passenger windows where the window and weather stripping meets? It's usually only noticable at higher speeds (55 mph+) and you can control the amount of noise by pressing on the weather strip. Del_utz has a service department that has contacted GM regional and they are supposedly shipping replacement strips from the plant. (They also offered that an alternative fix is to insert a flexible rubber tube inside the weather stripping so it would have less "give"). On the other hand, my service people say it's normal to hear the wind, albeit loud, and there is nothing they will do about it. They say no TSB has been issued and that's that. They do, however, agree that the rubber tubing has been used for this fix in other vehicles, but until they receive a TSB regarding this issue on the Solstice, there is nothing they will do about it ("Who would we charge it back to?"). I have to crank up the radio with the top up to overtake the wind noise but, so far, no water leak issue. Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I hear it more on the passenger side with top up, did seem like a seal not tight. I'll listen again to see if driver side is doing it too.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Same here..
Very annoying...
Very loud..
Left rear with the top up...

Hope there is a fix coming.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I would say based on many years of convertible experience that if the car doesn't leak water then the wind noise is just what it is and there is no fix. I've never been in a convertible that is really quiet at higher speeds (55+). So a water test would tell you if the seals are sealing properly.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
first 1k said:
Same here..
Very annoying...
Very loud..
Left rear with the top up...

Hope there is a fix coming.
Noticed same. Wonder if velcro adjustment of top from inside trunk would affect it. In all the insopection process I'll bet they never drove the cars at speed. After 10 miles of country driving added to the 25 miles on the car the DIC registered 9 mpg which leads to believe majority of inspections done with car at rest, engine on.

·
Registered
496 Posts
wind noise

We hear it to. Was looking at it last night. I think it is in the area where the top moves down the slide track to get in position. You can put your finger between the top and weather stripping. At the back where the top clips into the deck lid, there are velcro strips but even if you put your hand inside at that area, you still can't get into the car. Maybe velcro at the sides would help. I was also wondering if it may be coming from the two metal flip up doors that stay in the upright position when the top is up and in place but that should only open up to the trunk cavity.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Same situation

We had a 79 vette that we bought the one piece smoked acrylic top for and the front seal leaked - the rubber strip was hollow so I put a piece of 3/8" fuel line all the way thru it - then it sealed tight. :cool: ENJOY! Hope ours will be here shortly! :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
clunking and annoying window seal wind noise... :(
this is like marrying a great looking person only to find out after the fact that they belch and fart.

·
Registered
819 Posts
solli4me said:
clunking and annoying window seal wind noise... :(
this is like marrying a great looking person only to find out after the fact that they belch and fart.
Yeah, and why would she do that?? ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
so now we have a noisy top that wrinkles and a clanking rear end. I sure hope GM is listening and provide us a fix for our limited production vehicle. Maybe they will gives ear plugs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had/Have the same problem, but only on the drivers side. I took it into the dealership to see what was going on, thinking that maybe the top just need a little adjusting. Well I just got a call from the dealership and they (salesmanager, body shop, big wigs) are going to have a little meeting on monday to compare notes. As it sits right now they are looking at replacing the top all together. I guess my top isn't sitting exactly flush on the drivers side and they can't seem to get it to match up. Oh, well that is what the warranty is for, and I expected to run into a few problems with the first year/F1k, so no big deal.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Campbell said:
Had/Have the same problem, but only on the drivers side. I took it into the dealership to see what was going on, thinking that maybe the top just need a little adjusting. Well I just got a call from the dealership and they (salesmanager, body shop, big wigs) are going to have a little meeting on monday to compare notes. As it sits right now they are looking at replacing the top all together. I guess my top isn't sitting exactly flush on the drivers side and they can't seem to get it to match up. Oh, well that is what the warranty is for, and I expected to run into a few problems with the first year/F1k, so no big deal.
Just have them remove the top completely, it's not like you need it. :D

It'll save you ~60lbs too.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sol Deep said:
Is it just me (and del_utz) being picky, or have any others noticed what you consider excessive wind noise coming from the rear of both the driver's and passenger windows where the window and weather stripping meets? It's usually only noticable at higher speeds (55 mph+) and you can control the amount of noise by pressing on the weather strip. Del_utz has a service department that has contacted GM regional and they are supposedly shipping replacement strips from the plant. (They also offered that an alternative fix is to insert a flexible rubber tube inside the weather stripping so it would have less "give"). On the other hand, my service people say it's normal to hear the wind, albeit loud, and there is nothing they will do about it. They say no TSB has been issued and that's that. They do, however, agree that the rubber tubing has been used for this fix in other vehicles, but until they receive a TSB regarding this issue on the Solstice, there is nothing they will do about it ("Who would we charge it back to?"). I have to crank up the radio with the top up to overtake the wind noise but, so far, no water leak issue. Thanks for your input.
Sol Deep, I was going to P.M. you this evening and saw your post so I thought I would share with the others. I received a call this morning that both of the weather strips had arrived and I am going to drop off the car on Monday A.M., they asked to have it all day, after replacing the strips they want to give her a good test run to make sure it takes care of the problem. I am really impressed with the service dept., I have had minor issues but they are going out of there way to take care of things, as they should, but I have had other dealers who have been less responsive about problems. Will update on Monday evening.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
del_utz said:
they want to give her a good test run to make sure it takes care of the problem.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Its a ragtop....get used to it

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
ESERIES3 said:
I agree, I've never owned or been in one that didn't have air leaks. Heck, if you listen closely in any vehicle you will hear wind noise.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
The Solstice with the top up is quieter then my Ford Escape SUV :lol: That thing has so much interior noise it's nuts.

·
Registered
479 Posts
ESERIES3 said:
Do you have one yet? If not maybe you are not aware of the problem, some were corrected on the line, some got thru. Why should I accept a inferior product when others have been corrected. I have owned ragtops before, the problem I am having can be repaired. I don't have to get used to anything. Get used to that! :crazy:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
del_utz said:
Do you have one yet? If not maybe you are not aware of the problem, some were corrected on the line, some got thru. Why should I accept a inferior product when others have been corrected. I have owned ragtops before, the problem I am having can be repaired. I don't have to get used to anything. Get used to that! :crazy:
I would have no argument with that. If it can reasonably be improved, then it should be. But people should be aware that convertibles (more so than enclosed cars) will always have some level of wind noise.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Neither my wife nor I can hear the wind noise. But, I'm deaf in my left ear and she's deaf in her right ear and I'll be the primary driver. :lol: What a great time to have the correct deaf ears.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts