Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help with my wind deflector 😤 thos is long but I need help! I thought this would be an easy swap! Ugh! Can anyone show me photos of yours so I can see what’s going on?

The car had one when I bought it. Had a little crack on one end that slowly got bigger. It also had a tiny bit of play between the deflector and the car. And it appears to lean “in” towards the front of the car.
I ordered a new one from a guy on eBay. The listing said “easily install it with your existing hardware”.

Well in taking off my old one I see the previous owner had sticky felt padding pieces stick through sling bottom edge. (This left a tiny space along the top edge which allowed slight movement with winds resulting in the crack (I can only assume).

Then on my old one, I notice the small metal washers are in front of the deflector. So it’s screw, deflector, metal washer.

I install the new one and it just doesn’t feel right having a small metal screw and washer against the deflector and then the deflector fiat again the car frame. And there is definite “play”, it is not tight and flush and I’m afraid the same thing will happen. So I go and look at the eBay listing photos (I SHOULD HAVE COMPARED BEFORE PURCHASE). But I assumed what he said was true🤷🏼‍♀️

It appears that he has large white washers right agIbst the screw and then the deflector AND then it looks like a black foam piece between deflector and car frame....
I emailed him & He replied that I can but a hardware set from him... it’s black screws and washers (don’t look like what he has in his photos) and he isn’t responding to me about the black foam piece between deflector and car.

OH! And my screws do not come all the way out...

· Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,001 Posts
Maybe you can get a refund... and then take a look a Windrestrictor. Their version 2 mounts right behind the seats, has a lifetime warranty and is easy to install.

· Premium Member
19,788 Posts
Unfortunately what you have is what might otherwise be known as a type 1 WR. These mount to replacement screws in the trunk using slots in the bottom of the lexan piece. These are designed to be easily lifted up and out when the top is up then slid back into position when the top is down. They can be made to function but they tend to be wobbly under alll conditions due to their mounting design and they can cause long term issues with the trunk seals.

WindRestrictor and others make a type 2 WR that mounts inside the cockpit to the leading edge of the tulip panel. These can be had with LED lights and custom graphics engraved in them for fun. They mount using industrial hook and loop mounting tape that is more secure. Check out various threads on windrestrictor or wind blockers on this forum or go to Windrestrictor

· Premium Member
5,179 Posts
I have a V1 device.

When the top is up, the device is off.

I am on my second device as my first one warped because I left the
device on the car with the top up, and the hot NJ sun warped the device.

Reactions: rob the elder

· Registered
61 Posts
I need help with my wind deflector 😤 thos is long but I need help! I thought this would be an easy swap! Ugh! Can anyone show me photos of yours so I can see what’s going on?

The car had one when I bought it. Had a little crack on one end that slowly got bigger. It also had a tiny bit of play between the deflector and the car. And it appears to lean “in” towards the front of the car.
I ordered a new one from a guy on eBay. The listing said “easily install it with your existing hardware”.

Well in taking off my old one I see the previous owner had sticky felt padding pieces stick through sling bottom edge. (This left a tiny space along the top edge which allowed slight movement with winds resulting in the crack (I can only assume).

Then on my old one, I notice the small metal washers are in front of the deflector. So it’s screw, deflector, metal washer.

I install the new one and it just doesn’t feel right having a small metal screw and washer against the deflector and then the deflector fiat again the car frame. And there is definite “play”, it is not tight and flush and I’m afraid the same thing will happen. So I go and look at the eBay listing photos (I SHOULD HAVE COMPARED BEFORE PURCHASE). But I assumed what he said was true🤷🏼‍♀️

It appears that he has large white washers right agIbst the screw and then the deflector AND then it looks like a black foam piece between deflector and car frame....
I emailed him & He replied that I can but a hardware set from him... it’s black screws and washers (don’t look like what he has in his photos) and he isn’t responding to me about the black foam piece between deflector and car.

OH! And my screws do not come all the way out... View attachment 114629
I installed this one today from Windrestrictor. Goes behind the seat backs. The hardest part was just getting it centered.

· Registered
1,830 Posts
I installed this one today from Windrestrictor. Goes behind the seat backs. The hardest part was just getting it centered. View attachment 114806
Great! And also excellent colour choice for your Sols 😁
How does it look from the inside (behind the seats)?

I'm considering buying a Windrestrictor but am afraid the dual lock won't look "OEM" enough from the inside.

Thanks

· Registered
7,012 Posts
If I remember correctly the velcro is behind the seats? If it isn't there then I will tell you it's not really visible from the inside. I do recall seeing it but usually my eyes are pointed in a different direction when I'm in the Solstice. ;)

· Registered
61 Posts
Great! And also excellent colour choice for your Sols 😁
How does it look from the inside (behind the seats)?

I'm considering buying a Windrestrictor but am afraid the dual lock won't look "OEM" enough from the inside.

Thanks
Brown Motor vehicle Car Car seat cover Automotive design
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Automotive design

With the seat backs in place the fasteners are not visible and when folded forward it looks fine to me.

· Registered
7,012 Posts
Thanks Uncle. I thought they were behind the seat backs only. Mine have faded a bit from the sun as we always flip the seatbacks forward if parking top down on a sunny day. Keeps from charring skin when you get back in!

· Registered
87 Posts
I have the same one, and can attest that it WILL cause problems if you leave it in place with the top closed. Otherwise it functions great but really you should just get the better (v2) or... make it something of a hassle and take it on and off.
It can damage the rear windshield by pulling it off the canvas, and also the trunk can have trouble opening because of it, and the seals may get damaged.
Windrestictor v2: cheap-ish and easy to find
New canvas, trunk parts: good luck

Hope that helps.

· Registered
1,830 Posts
View attachment 119517 View attachment 119518
With the seat backs in place the fasteners are not visible and when folded forward it looks fine to me.
Hmm it really looks discreet. A way to hide the mounting Strips would be to paint a black border on the lower edge in a way such as to emulate the black paint applied to OEM windshields and rear hatch glasses.

· Registered
13 Posts
Unfortunately what you have is what might otherwise be known as a type 1 WR. These mount to replacement screws in the trunk using slots in the bottom of the lexan piece. These are designed to be easily lifted up and out when the top is up then slid back into position when the top is down. They can be made to function but they tend to be wobbly under alll conditions due to their mounting design and they can cause long term issues with the trunk seals.

WindRestrictor and others make a type 2 WR that mounts inside the cockpit to the leading edge of the tulip panel. These can be had with LED lights and custom graphics engraved in them for fun. They mount using industrial hook and loop mounting tape that is more secure. Check out various threads on windrestrictor or wind blockers on this forum or go to Windrestrictor
thanks for the tip Rob the elder!

· Registered
2009 , Solstice base 5 speed Red
195 Posts
i am considering a V2 for the Mrs Christmas present. I understand it velcros to the inner edge of the tulip panel . My concern is if you have one of the engravings , does it interfere with the rear view mirror?

· Administrator
12,148 Posts
i am considering a V2 for the Mrs Christmas present. I understand it velcros to the inner edge of the tulip panel . My concern is if you have one of the engravings , does it interfere with the rear view mirror?
As far as I have seen, all wind restrictors adversely affect rearward vision. The engraved ones affect it more.

· Registered
1,830 Posts
I have the plain one. It affects visibility but just a little. It's easy to live with and it made a considerable difference for us in terms of wind buffeting inside the car when driving with the top down.

· Premium Member
19,788 Posts
The WR is highly reflective. If the sun angle is in the "wrong" place, it will tend to reflect back into the mirror.

I have highly engraved WRs in both cars. Depending on your visual acuity and the size of the engraving it can affect vision through the WR. I have had no issue with the graphics or the lights. I am constantly checking the area around the car using all three mirrors and sweeping with my vision so I generally maintain situational awareness of vehicles in my vicinity. Its defensive driving. Learned when I was driving a tractor trailer while people were occasionally trying to make me DRT. If you are totally dependent upon the center rear view mirror, then the graphics will be more problematic for you.
I generally keep my head on a swivel (25 years on motorcycles on the street) and the graphics don't bother me. I enjoy them.

· Premium Member
334 Posts
I too have the w.r.
model 2 with lights and engraving. They do cause a lot of reflection and such. I'm used to mine and I don't see it as any problem. I agree with Rte about situational awareness,, that is the key to successfully driving these cars

1 - 20 of 21 Posts