Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger side window goes down fine, but stopped going up 2 inches from the top. Always does the same thing. What is the problem if the motor is working ? and how do I get the window up manually ?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Every single car I've seen seems to have more drag on the passenger side (slower operation) than the driver. I don't know why.

If the door is open, does your window still stop short? If not, then the drag is probably caused by the window seals. You can try treating the seals by wiping with with silicone dielectric grease (or gummi pflege). If that doesn't work, you can try adjusting the tilt of the window glass.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you but same issue with door open. Is there a way to get the window up manually ?

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
Does it stop suddenly, or seem more like it is just running out of energy? How consistent it the stopping point?

Has something happened recently? Was this just an out-of-the-blue occurence?

If it runs out of energy you may be able to pull the window up while operating the switch, but if it stops suddenly the mechanism is likely to be getting jammed in some way and you won't be able to do much without taking the door apart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Always stops at same point. For a while at that point it was harder to get up all the way

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
Every single car I've seen seems to have more drag on the passenger side (slower operation) than the driver. I don't know why.
In the case of the Kappa, many cars of its age, and most older cars, the passenger window is powered through the driver side switches, so there are twice as many switch contacts and more than twice as much wire creating voltage drops, and slowing that motor.

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
You're going to have to take the door apart to get to the mechanism. The problem could be in the guide track or in the cable actuator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took door panel off. I do not see anything wrong. Track seems fine. What is the cable actuator ?

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
There is a sideways figure-eight mechanism that connects the drive motor to the tracks. Inside that is either a cable or a tape that actually moves the window. I haven't had one of ours apart, so I can't be of any specific help in what you can do next, but my next step would be to move the window as much as it will move and watch to see what happens.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My passenger side is also getting weak. But it's been a gradual process making me believe the motor is slowly giving up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've heard a bar of soap as thick as the window track is wide can be used to lubricate the window track. It probably won't help Stoneman, sounds like he needs a new window regulator assembly because these are cable driven and the cable when it gets slack in it will get a kink in the cable and will never work right again

·
Registered
1 Posts
My passenger side window goes down fine, but stopped going up 2 inches from the top. Always does the same thing. What is the problem if the motor is working ? and how do I get the window up manually ?

Thanks

Thanks
The Regulator is Broke! It’s always the passenger side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts