Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well just googled Los Angeles to Denver (roughly the middle of the state) for gins. It’s only a little over a 1000 miles / 14 hour drive :)
Colorado sounds nice right now. Perfect time of year too..

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,688 Posts
Driving through the mountains at this time of the year can still be sketchy. I live in the mountains and the last snowfall I usually see is right around mothers day. So we are coming up on it. It is usually a 4+ foot dump of snow, LOL.. it melts fast but I sure wouldn't want to dive through something like that in a Solstice.

I have ventured out in 16" with tire chains, I am not talking about the cable type, actual chains. under 12" I drove around with the OE tires and only got "stuck" once. I really wasn't stuck. I was coming around a switchback (ESP and TCS turned off) and some dinkleberry couldn't make it up the rest of the hill and they didn't pull their car off the side of the road. The swing I needed to make with the resulting fishtail would have put me right into the back of the car. So I had to let off the accelerator to allow the car to straighten out, doing this caused me to lose to much momentum and I got within 15 feet of the top of the hill. I was so close to getting home about 150 yards to my driveway.

Driving with the top down on the back roads in the mountains is where it's at. It's exciting driving.

·
Super Moderator
16,748 Posts
As KG says, mothers day is when the "last" snow generally falls. We turn on the sprinklers that weekend and can plant flowers that wont be killed by snow.

But, having lived in Colorado since 1985, I have seen snow in July. Its rare but it does happen.

The bigger issue for me is we are entering our monsoon season. This is when the weather pattern changes and warm wet air from the south starts mixing with the air coming down from the north west. This can drive lots of thunder storms. They tend to be of short duration, half an hour or so of actual rain/hail, and they tend ot be localized. I used to drive around them when I was commuting on my motorcycle. But we are the lightning and hail capitol so being prepared is a good idea. I try to have the cars under cover by about 4pm when the storms can start to build up.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Though I relocated here to LA from New York ( I just couldn’t do the winters anymore) almost 20 years ago I still miss weather. Because LA literally has none. It’s either fire season, or it’s not and increasingly it is just almost always fire season.

Hell I get excited when it’s humid.
Yeah, I know grass is always greener etc.
but like many things in life you don’t realize you’ll miss it till it’s actually gone.

I was in Nashville some years ago for a business thing and we went out for barbecue in some big indoor/outdoor restaurant and there was a massive and sudden thunderstorm.serious big show stuff.

Water started pouring through the roof and I was so giddy with excitement I ran outside only to watch lighting hit a few blocks away.
Stupid? yes. Awesome? absolutely!!

This isn’t a car to drive for real winter but I wouldn’t mind carefully winding my way through a rainstorm once or twice if the terrain is beautiful.

Colorado is definitely on my bucket list to drive in this car. Perhaps one of the most scenic states in the union :)

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
PS> To get back on topic, the “thunk” has disappeared for no reason other than I have been trying to get a recording of it.
Will post if it returns. Grrr.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Me and lightning don't do well together. It seems to be attracted to me for some reason. I was driving my Lincoln and was hit with an indirect strike. maybe 10 - 15 feet away from the car. I warped one of the wheels and the cars electronics were all messed up. I had cornea burns and couldn't see for over a week. It took months before my brain kinda sorted it's self out.

About 3 weeks after that strike I was in the car with the wife and maybe 100 yards away lightning hit the ground. Dirt went flying and I started to yell at my wife to get the hell out of dodge. a couple of months later lightning strikes my neighbors house 300 feet away. and about a year later the neighbor behind me had lightning hit a tree, less than 200 feet away.

It starts booming I run and hide in the lowest floor of the house.

I do have to say that thunder snow is really cool. Especially when the snow flakes are so large you can see with your naked eye all of the crystals and branches in it. The snow has a glitter kind of thing going on and has a blue purple tint to it. It looks awesome when the flash of the lightning happens.

·
Registered
113 Posts
PS> To get back on topic, the “thunk” has disappeared for no reason other than I have been trying to get a recording of it.
Will post if it returns. Grrr.
Now this is really eerie, I drove my car to work today and noticed that my thunk was also gone. I feel there may be a larger conspiracy here.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Not to get all Dr Seuss about it but i am feeling goofy..

I think my thunk is not coming from the trunk.
I hope the thunk is not caused by GM junk.
I'm told its cause may be years of gunk?
I don't know about that as that strikes me as bunk.
So I sat down and thunk on a long standing think.
Its more of a thunk than a clink or a dink.
"Thunk happens" so fast I may miss in a blink.
This confounding thunk may drive me to drink!

You can tell i have a 6 year old that likes Dr Seuss?
Have a great week all!

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Seasonal "Thunking" is a well little know feature caused by getting close to resolving the problem. It then disappears until you almost forget about it. Then it returns for a short time, AKA the "Miss me?" syndrome.

By the way this thread has wonderful valuable reference information from KG about tools and approaches to working with the materials. I had Dave at DDM turn me on to the clip removal "pliers" some years ago and another tool, the hose clamp pliers, for removing those expanding tension clamps so often found on GM cars with the release "ears" in an inaccessible orientation. An investment in frustration reduction. Saved me when working on Kate's Sonata power steering hoses! With a tip of the hat to KG, here's the link. Pays for itself the first time you use it .

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D3N7YW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This forum is for those who do. My thanks for all who add to the knowledge base.

Richard Snipes

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts

So I sat down and thunk on long standing think.

Have a great week all!
well said!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Remember back when car doors had that handle on the inside that you would have to manually crank in order to raise and lower the window (LOL). Ever take one of those handles off? There is a little clip that holds the handle on. I have dubbed this clip the "Jesus" clip.. I call it this because of the high probability of the clip becoming a projectile when taking it off, this causes the person removing the clip to then make the statement "Jesus Christ I lost that f'in clip".

There is a tool to remove those clips, it does not stop the clip from becoming a projectile.

·
Registered
113 Posts

So I sat down and thunk on a long standing think.

Have a great week all!
I'll be sure to read this one to my 5 year old. He will most likely want illustrations to go with this though.

Seasonal "Thunking" is a well little know feature caused by getting close to resolving the problem. It then disappears until you almost forget about it. Then it returns for a short time, AKA the "Miss me?" syndrome.
Mine must of known I was missing it. The thunk came back at lunch, only going up of course though.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts