Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Window Tilt Adjustment (Leak Fix)

Hey guys,

My driver’s side window is leaking from the front, upper corner (a gap). I took the door panel off and tried various adjustments. It’s my understanding the tilt is controlled through the adjustment at the bottom of the door but when trying to turn counter clockwise, it was instantly loose. What am I doing wrong here?

·
Super Moderator
16,090 Posts
there is a bolt in the regulator that moves the bottom of the window horizontally

You cal loosen the two bolts that hold the window frame in the window regulator and move the window up and down to adjust vertical height.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand the two bolts at the top that move the window up and down and when you loosen you can slide the window side to side, I’m talking about the tilt adjustment. I think it needs to tilt in because I can’t get rid of the gap with the other adjustments but the nut to tilt in (counter clockwise) or out (clockwise) that’s accessible from underneath the door, was loose after only a quarter turn.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m a bit confused what #2 is referring to in this image:

Is it the threaded bolt and nut in the middle of the door that seems to pass through some internal black frame?

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Gomer answer would be: "Dont Drive That Thing When it's Raining" <<<Smile>>>

But Please, I am new here. I have the 400 page owners book.

Where did you get that Service Manual?

Good Luck with your adjustments!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok I made every adjustment could... up, down, left, right, tilt in, tilt out but can’t seem to close the gap on the driver’s window (forward top corner) which is where the leak is coming from. Happens every time while driving in the rain and in the car wash. To be honest, the tilt seemed to make zero difference. I even added a couple washers in #2 to push the bottom of the tilt mechanism farther out... nada. Zero difference so I guess I’ll take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it.

Found the images from the manual online. You can see the source if you open the individual image.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perhaps the problem is not the window ?!?
What else would you suggest it could be? I replaced the windshield weatherstrip with a brand new one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is there a window stop? On my 96 vette, had alignment issue because window stop was broken and window was going up higher than intended tilting towards back at the end creating misalignment on the front corner

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The solstice windows just sit in 2 clamps. You can loosen the clamps and move the glass left/right, move the clamps up/down, or tilt in/out. There's honestly a lot you can do which is cool and frustrating at the same time... especially when you can't get proper alignment. I've given up and I'm going to take it to a GM dealer on Monday and make them keep adjusting it till they get it fixed.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So took it to a local dealership who told me I needed to replace the weatherstripping around the windshield. I explained that had already been done, I replaced it with a brand new one. Then they tried to say that if that was already done, it must be a top alignment issue. The gap seems to be with the window and the weatherstrip so I don't understand how the top comes into play. Supposedly they know a guy that has experience working on the Solstice with this specific issue that used to work at this dealership and they're going to see if they can put me in touch with him but I'm left scratching my head on this one.

Edit: Called back to clarify again because I just didn't understand the previous explanation and they're saying there's got to be something bent related to the top that is causing a misalignment and pushing on the weatherstrip in a way that's causing an indentation in the weatherstrip thereby not making a good seal with the door. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
When did this start to happen? Was the window alignment always an issue?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To be honest I'm not sure. It's been leaking for a while but not sure when it started because for 10 years it sat is a garage in NYC and was only driving a couple times a year when it was warm and sunny. Since I've moved to FL and it's being driven more often in the rain, it's been more noticeable.

I tried adjusting the window myself using the various adjustments but I just can't seem to close the gap. A shop where I had some work done adjusted the bolts on the inner jam to pull the door in a bit tighter but there's still a gap *sigh*

I found some rust inside the door, assumedly due to the leak.

·
Registered
465 Posts
mine hasent leeked, but the drivers side upper front corner top seal has a nice "kink" to it right where the window bend shape starts to go angled down,I dont know how it dosent leek but I'm sure it will of the weather strip kinks up or shrinks up any.I thought it might be made that way then I looked at the other side and no kink/dent/indention. if it's a hallow seal i could add some similar density foam in side carefully when/if it does start. my best advice it try to locate exactly where the leek is coming from. squeak&leek tech's are usually the new guy...and a new guy wont know squat about our cars...good luck and be sure to let us know what you found and the fix. I hope you have a garage to keep it in this sun is a killer...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mine hasent leeked, but the drivers side upper front corner top seal has a nice "kink" to it right where the window bend shape starts to go angled down,I dont know how it dosent leek but I'm sure it will of the weather strip kinks up or shrinks up any.I thought it might be made that way then I looked at the other side and no kink/dent/indention. if it's a hallow seal i could add some similar density foam in side carefully when/if it does start. my best advice it try to locate exactly where the leek is coming from. squeak&leek tech's are usually the new guy...and a new guy wont know squat about our cars...good luck and be sure to let us know what you found and the fix. I hope you have a garage to keep it in this sun is a killer...
You read my mind... I had been thinking about injecting some kind of "filler" to puff it up to make the seal better BUT I think it's hollow for the purpose of transporting water off the roof, no? I could be completely wrong on this but wouldn't want to block it if it was.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So after picking the car up, I do see what they said, if I unlatch the roof, it's not causing the indentation on the weatherstripping so it's definitely the top (corner) pushing on it causing an indentation.

As for injecting something to expand the weatherstripping, I've also confirmed it's hollow to channel water away from the roof so that's not going to be an option. The service advisor I'm working with at the local dealership is going above and beyond to track down the guy he used to work with that specialized in fixing these issues on the solstice so I can't complain.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Ive never seen seals that did double duty as a water hose to route water away, thats a new one for me, if it only does it when latched the seal may need to be pulled rearward so it dont do it. or the other part go forward witch ever will keep it from doing it. Ive never had top down on my car,I dont really want a convertible but my pocket could not afford a coupe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts