Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm brand new to the forum. I just picked up a 2006 Sol last week. l just purchased a behind-the-hoop WR. It fits very tight. I am having problems closing the rear lid. I'm having to force the lid shut. I've learned that when ever you have to force fit something on a car you are setting yourself up for trouble down the road. Has any one else had this issue? Will it loosen up? Will it damage the trunk gasket? Has anyone had leaks? Has anyone tried adjusting the trunk hinge to make more room.

I've also heard that you shouldn't leave a rear mounted screen in full time. I never did find a reason why... I also want something more permanent.

I opted for the behind the roll method over the front/interior mount because I'm a big guy and need every fraction of an inch of room. I had an interior mounted WR on a Z3 I used to have and the set rubbing against the screen made a lot of squeeking noises. Thanks everybody!

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
I have the type 2 WR that mounts to the rear of the cockpit. Both my seats ride against the plastic and do not produce any squeeking or noise. The advantage of the type 1 WR is that it does not mount visibly to the car, all the mounting hardware is out of sight. We have several members of our club who have them and like them. They do have an interferance fit with the forward edge of the trunk lid and the seals. I have not seen anyone having any specific issues with this but it has been a subject of continuing discussion over the years.

The biggest factor in my decision to go with the type 2 was can leave it installed when the top goes up. I dont have to store it in the trunk and have a storage bag etc. I just mount my type 2 and leave it there until I need to swap to another graphic. :thumbs:

We have a lot of members who have been very happy with the "factory" mounting of both types. I decided to hard mount mine to eliminate any vibration at high speeds. I use 6 screws that are hidden by the seats but that firmly mount the WR to the cockpit wall. All my WRs are drilled to the identical pattern so its an easy job to swap them out. This method is acceptable to me and provides a very firm and rigid mount. But its not for everyone.

Your other car was no doubt complaining because it was foreign.:thumbs::lol::thumbs:

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
I have the type 1.

Do not leave it in the car during a hot summer with the top up.
The result is a mis-shapened device -- warped. :(

So, for me, when the top is up, the device is out of the car.

Otherwise, the type 1 and the trunk lid work find together for me.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
I have the type 1.

Also having owned both, the Type 2 is better if the top is to be up while the WR stays mounted. The Type 1 is great for the top down, but top-up does as sirwm says...the back glass presses against the WR and eventually warps and cracks it...best top down only. As for fitment, get in touch with WR as they WILL solve the problem if humanly possible.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
I have the type 1.

Prepare for and etched rear window.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You might want to consider investing in a Type 2. I was set on the Type 1, non-etched, just because I thought it looked more "factory". I'm extremely detail oriented, and very picky wanting as clean of a look as possible. I happen to live right around the corner from King Penn/WR's shop, so I went down there to check them out in person. Well, I decided on the Type 2, of course etched with a while led strip, and couldn't be happier. Im not a big guy, but I'm tall (6'5"), and the Type 2 does not compromise interior space whatsoever. And like the others are saying, it's nice that top up or down, I can just leave it in place. Oh, and the "velcro" they use isn't a traditional velcro, rather it's an extremely strong material that almost clips into itself, so I have absolutely no rattling or concerns about it coming loose at high speeds. The seats basically mold around it, meaning that when you fold the seat forward you see a light imprint on the back of the seat where it overlaps. No biggie at all. Anyways, that's just my .02.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
If you stay with the Type 1, don't use the humps on the deck lid to close it. You will dent them!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts