Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better -The original mesh windscreen or a custom glass windscreen to buffer the back wind?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone have any input or advice between buying a GM Deflector for my 2006 Solstice ($300.00) or buying an after market glass deflector for my car(around half the price)?

·
Super Moderator
7,334 Posts
Which is better -The original mesh windscreen or a custom glass windscreen to buffer the back wind?
Neither in my opinion is particularly effective at blocking the wind, and they do not work at all unless the windows are up.

The original mesh windscreen requires holes and mounting hardware in the tulip panel, and there are very few (if any) of them availale.

The glass (or more often plastic) windscreens are more decorative and can be customized with graphics and lights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Neither in my opinion is particularly effective at blocking the wind, and they do not work at all unless the windows are up.

The original mesh windscreen requires holes and mounting hardware in the tulip panel, and there are very few (if any) of them availale.

The glass (or more often plastic) windscreens are more decorative and can be customized with graphics and lights.
HI John,
I always have my windows up. Do you know if the windscreen presents a problem when putting up the top?

·
Super Moderator
7,334 Posts
HI John,
I always have my windows up. Do you know if the windscreen presents a problem when putting up the top?
The factory screen does not, and neither do the versions of the aftermarket ones that mount to the inside of the cockpit. The early models from the aftermarket mounted inside the trunk and could cause issues with the trunk seal and the back window.

The aftermarket models also exhibit some ineterference with rearward vision due to glare, and some people remove them when the top is up for that reason.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The factory screen does not, and neither do the versions of the aftermarket ones that mount to the inside of the cockpit. The early models from the aftermarket mounted inside the trunk and could cause issues with the trunk seal and the back window.

The aftermarket models also exhibit some ineterference with rearward vision due to glare, and some people remove them when the top is up for that reason.
Thank-You John. That was very helpful. Have a great day!!

·
Super Moderator
16,344 Posts
Many of us have purchased and used for a decade Windrestrictor screens and find them very well made and quite functional. I have several.

I was skeptical initially and ran tests in the mountains in September. The windscreen on my car at highway speeds with the windows rolled up has a very distinct cutoff point about two inches below the top of my head. Below that point, the air was warm. Above that point the air was very cool on a 40f day. For my wife it was even more effective as she is shorter and the relatively still air kept her hair from going nuts.

I have recommended them since I found them and still do. Its a fun and functional accessory in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
John and Rob have given you solid advice. Some owner swear by them - OEM and such as Windrestrictor - others don't feel they are effective.

I'm inclined to agree with Rob in that I have a Windrestrictor "version 2" and have experienced the difference. Windows down = worse than not having one. Windows up = my ears are not buffeted on long drives and I can ride comfortably. Windows up on a chilly morning and my speed drops below about 45 and things got chilly REALLY quick in the cockpit.

Just know that with Windrestrictor you can buy a blank one, a "standard" engraved one, a custom engraved one, a version with lights, and a version that has custom lighting. It's all about how much you wish to spend.

My bride wished to "spend" for all of the above. lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts