Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
The only way you can get a “screen” version is to try to locate an OEM GM one. We call it the flyswatter. It will require drilling two holes into the tulip panel to use it. Am attaching pic of mine in use. If you don’t go this route you go aftermarket and get plexiglass that attaches to wall behind seats with Velcro.

Attachments

Reactions: skersfan

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
To expand upon Northern's feedback, there are "plexiglass" and there are "polycarbonate" (trade name Lexan) clear versions. Plexiglass is an acrylic material that is rather brittle. Polycarbonate is very durable (bullet proof "glass" can be made of it.)

You'll immediately know which is more expensive just from the above statement. That being said, I don't recall anyone saying they had "problems" with the cheaper of the two.

I recommend Windrestrictor because A - they are a sponsor of this forum and, B - I have purchased one (as have several other members) and am very happy with it. There are some buyers that have had issues with reflections, so please use the search function on the forum to get feedback from those who have taken each of the various forms, including the "flyswatter".

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Windrestrictor is an excellent company with quality products. If I did not go the OEM route I would of gone with them. I have their door sills. 👍 👍

·
Registered
234 Posts
Mine came with a windrestricter when I bought it. It's made by Windrestricter and is an older model that bolts into the back of the tulip.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
Just my opinion I have a windscreen(plexiglass?)on my car and see no benefit as far as reducing turbulence in the car if your looking for some bling then go for it . Mine is plain and I'll be removing it this spring just less clutter on my car .

·
Registered
338 Posts
I also didn't notice a huge difference with the windrestrictor (windows up.) It's just not tall enough - and actually makes turbulence worse with the windows down.

And of course neither style do anything to cut down on road noise, so the traffic you're passing on the freeway still deafens you.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
I've had a few convertibles in my life and can honestly say I've never driven with the top down and windows up what's the point ? I'm 5'9" so you got me there CW and again I'm not a fan of illuminated billboards on the back of my car but it's your car and your choice and diversity is the great thing about the car hobby .

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I certainly appreciate that, Sting. I just wanted the OP to know that many have noticed a difference using them. I've also noticed that speed plays a big role in it. The first cool spring morning I took the Sol into the office top down, I had the heater on low and was quite comfortable. As I slowed down for a reduced speed limit (35) I immediately felt cold air entering the cabin.

I'm not big on the billboard thing either - cars or trucks. As I tell my bride "I don't want to be driving a damn clown car with all that crap on it!" lol

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Finding a fly swatter is hard, but finding the OEM holders is much harder. I don't think there is an option for them. If your car did not come with the fly swatter, doubtful you will find the holders. I don't see many that have the option running around. My original Sky came with it and one of the totals I bought had the option. Windrestrictor is a great option, and as stated a fantastic supporter of this site and our National event.

·
Super Moderator
7,151 Posts
You can't drive a 'vert with the top down?
WHAT? SERIOUSLY?
I can't explain what happened to the missing words, but that was meant to read:

I can't bring myself to drive a convertible with the top down and the windows up.

So sorry for the confusion. Oddly enough there have been people on this very forum with that exact opinion.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Once I drove with the top down and windows up. We were driving through S. Dakota and there was a 50 mph cross wind. I rolled the drivers window up and my wife said " I can't believe what I am seeing".

·
Super Moderator
16,271 Posts
I have two “clown trucks” and two clown cars. Love them all. Can’t take any of them out without getting stopped to talk with admiring fans or to have pictures taken. Customization is a very personal thing but it can be a lot of fun.
I have Windrestrictorson both roadsters and find them both functional and visually appealing. We drive with the top down and the windows down up to about 50 mph, then put the windows up for higher speeds. I have classic tinnitus and the wind noise at speed with the windows down is a real issue. With the WR and windows up, it’s tolerable. I have a friend who refuses to drive his car with the top up unless it’s in a torrential rain. I am more accommodating of my and my passengers creature comforts and am adaptable what ever works is ok with me

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
AND - as my process technician at the plant and I have shared with others, top down driving is great, but if you're driving stop and go in direct sun on a 95 degree day, it's friggin' HOT at those stops!

·
Super Moderator
7,151 Posts
AND - as my process technician at the plant and I have shared with others, top down driving is great, but if you're driving stop and go in direct sun on a 95 degree day, it's friggin' HOT at those stops!
Which is why we have air conditioning! Now, to ventilate and cool the leather seats...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts