Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my front windshield in a local body shop, and after I got home I realized that I can't remember whether the gap/groove around the glass (see the image) was always there or they forgot to install a rubber band/sealant. The groove is about 1/4" deep and 1/8" wide.

Was it always this way?

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,150 Posts
That's a rain gutter. It helps to keep the water wipe from the glass by the wipers from exiting the front of your car down the side. If you have your window open even so much as a millimeter and that gutter wasn't there you would get quite a bit of water sprayed all over you.

·
Administrator
8,974 Posts
I have been working with automotive windscreens (windshields to us Americans) for 30 years, and was in the industry when it went from gasketed to exposed edge. I have never heard of that being intended as a rain gutter. Do you have any documentation for that assertion?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Yeah fill the space up with silicone and then go and drive in the rain with your window open and see what happens.

Really??? It's not that hard to see that is how it would function. as water gets pushed to the edge of the glass from the wiper the water goes into that groove and the wind hitting the front of the car pushes th water up and over the roof. It's not rocket science.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked my wife's car (Acura ILX) and asked my friend who happens to own a new Miata - there are no such "rain gutters". If it really is a rain gutter, then this innovation that didn't catch on?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
any car that has either has a seal like what is seen on the Solstice or has a windshield that has a large raised strip on the right and left edges of the glass has "rain gutters"

You will see more water move to the edge of the glass on the drivers side when the wipers are turned on. That recess provides a place for some/all of the water go into and when driving the wind pushes the water up the channel and over the top of the roof. If there is a large raised trim piece there this does almost the same thing by keeping the water from being pushed over the side of the car. it gets pushed to the side of the glass where the water is not able to go any further and the wind then blows it up and over the roof of the car.

In the photo below you can see the raised trim on the side of the glass. On this car that trim extends from the hood all the way to the trunk lid. It is a single piece. This keeps water from rolling off the roof and in a possibly open window or onto a person getting in or out of the vehicle. It is not there for decoration it is there for function.

Most vehicles that have a fixed roof will have 2 indents or 2 pieces of molding one on either side of the roof of the car. These indents align with the edges of the windshield.

Here is a 2017 Ford Taurus

and here is a Honda civic

subaru outback

hyundai veloster

Most people do not pay attention to these kinds of things or what they are for. I am sure there are vehicles that are made without them. I know there are vehicles that do have them and they don't work worth a crap because of how they are designed.

Go and look at your other vehicles you will see what I am talking about.

Reactions: RedOne07

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
They are not intended to handle the amount of water seen when the sky really opens up. drizzle to light rain is about the volume of water.

My Lincoln MKS has large gutters and It handles HUGE amounts of water. In the hardest of downpours where you have to stop the car because you can't see out the windshield it can't handle those kinds of volumes. but everything up to that.

I just bought a Lincoln MKZ and that thing has crap gutters and won't handle anything more then a light drizzle.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
and here is an Acura ILX

you can very easily see the 2 pieces of plastic on either side of the glass that sit higher then the glass surface. and those 2 pieces align with the raised edges of the roof.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I think the gap could be a little wider myself. I get water coming inside when it rains here but not a ton. Maybe I need to drive faster and force the rain up over the top 🤣🤣🤣

I’ve had several cars with both features. Flush to semi flush mounted windshield like ours and recessed below the A pillar. All have had a gap that was flushed and the recessed have trim piece of some sort. I know this because I’m somewhat obsessed with cleaning and it’s a place that most people don’t wash or clean with a towel or maintain the rubber seal that’s usually there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts