Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help
Anybody in the snow bound areas. How do you plan to keep your Sol clean if you take it out this winter. I know I won't be able to leave it in the garage all winter. I want to take it out already. I can't imagine taking it to one of those car wash places where they hook on to your car and drag you down the line. I don't have any place at home to hand wash in the cold. Should I find a place that can do a hand wash? Or would one of the Touchless work for now? Once spring comes by hand only, but for now. . . :(

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
Congrats on your car! I washed mine using the frozen hose method :lol: No soap, soft towel for drying. Essentially, just to remove road salt & spray. I'm not ready for the brushless carwash yet. You could look around town for a self-wash bay.

·
Registered
481 Posts
is your garage heated or can you place a heater in there? wash it using less water like a five gallon bucket and let it dry in heated garage.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,200 Posts
I don't have a heated garage, but what I've done is hook a hose to the stand tub faucet which is just inside from my garage, and turn on the hot water. Hose off all the salt and grime, then pull the car into the garage and towel dry. Drain the hose and hang it back up. Done!

·
Registered
152 Posts
but how do you get the dried on salt off the bottom of the car??????

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
IS300toSOLSTICE said:
but how do you get the dried on salt off the bottom of the car??????
find a "touchless" wash. They do a bottom up spray as you drive in. I've been to a couple. One runs as long as you block the eyes. The other has a 30 second time limit.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Touchless is good, I've used one in my area a couple of times. Mostly I go to a Do-it-yourself wash so I can wash the car the way I want to. Not too much pressure around the window seals. So far the car has stayed fairly clean and there has been no damage to the paint.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I did the buckets of warm water in the driveway last week - huge pain in the rear, but much less than the agony of looking at your Solstice covered in salt-spray.

Next time I'm going to try the quarter car wash (self-serve) :yesnod:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Any INDY Solstice owners know of a good "touchless" wash they've USED and would RECOMMEND for their SOLSTICE?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
IS300toSOLSTICE said:
Any INDY Solstice owners know of a good "touchless" wash they've USED and would RECOMMEND for their SOLSTICE?
I don't know where in Indy you are, but on the west side, there is a touchless right off the interstate in Brownsburg that just got new equipment here in the last year, and it appears that it would be Solstice-friendly. No wheel tracks (just a yellow line), etc.

Of course I don't have my Solstice, so I couldn't give you first-hand experience.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Self-service car wash once a week is about all I can do during the winter. The air temperature needs to be above freezing, though. Since the main objective is to get the salt and dirt off, I don't even dry it off till I get home. After the 15 minute drive, about the only thing to worry about is the glass.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Fortimir said:
I don't know where in Indy you are, but on the west side, there is a touchless right off the interstate in Brownsburg that just got new equipment here in the last year, and it appears that it would be Solstice-friendly. No wheel tracks (just a yellow line), etc.

Of course I don't have my Solstice, so I couldn't give you first-hand experience.
I'm in Fishers. I can always go to Mike's Express to use their self-service bays, but i'm not sure how I would get the salt/grime off the bottom of the car.

SOOOOO, she hasn't been out of the garage for 3 weeks. I'm dying to take her for a spin.

Fortimir - if you're interested in seeing one in person, PM me and maybe we could hook up on a decent day. I posted this once before but didn't hear from you...interested?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
IS300toSOLSTICE said:
Fortimir - if you're interested in seeing one in person, PM me and maybe we could hook up on a decent day. I posted this once before but didn't hear from you...interested?
Definitely. I don't live far.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Laser/Touchless Wash and a few leaks

mgaroadster said:
Help
Anybody in the snow bound areas. How do you plan to keep your Sol clean if you take it out this winter. I know I won't be able to leave it in the garage all winter. I want to take it out already. I can't imagine taking it to one of those car wash places where they hook on to your car and drag you down the line. I don't have any place at home to hand wash in the cold. Should I find a place that can do a hand wash? Or would one of the Touchless work for now? Once spring comes by hand only, but for now. . . :(
I had to try the car wash today as I couldn't bear the thought of the salt under my car any more. So went to a touchless laser wash and there were a few leaks around the top of the windows where the seal fits together, and a small leak around both buttresses in the back. This also only happened during the rinse cycle when the water is spraying really hard from both the sides and the top. No water at all in the trunk.

Not sure if I should be experiencing these leaks or not, but wasn't as bad as I was anticipating and was worth the little bit of water to get the salt removed. I would say that it is probably not going to be a problem during a normal rain.

(By the way Rodeo if you see this, I finally got the new avatar. Couldn't bear the thought of leaving the old Firebird out of the pic. Also, I doubt you can find that custom contrasting background in your part of the country :) )

·
Retired Free Range Sols
9,964 Posts
Fortimir said:

Thanks Fortimir! Was going to ask-and hadn't gotten around to it-will be checking it out while I'm in the area to clean him up, if I don't find a coin op on the westside!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Went through a touchless wash today.

Couple thoughts:

1. The hard water pressure around the windows sprung a leak. Didn't notice it until I felt my sleeve soaking. Nothing terrible and I doubt it would've happened in a normal rain.
2. Underbody wash seemed to work well if you drive in slowly.
3. Overall, very clean car now.

One question for all you carwash experts: the air dry blowers felt like they were going to RIP OFF the canvas top. Does this need to be a concern or do those pressure blowers not hurt the top at all?

It felt like I was driving through the reincarnation of Katrina.

Ryan

·
Registered
152 Posts
IS300toSOLSTICE said:
One question for all you carwash experts: the air dry blowers felt like they were going to RIP OFF the canvas top. Does this need to be a concern or do those pressure blowers not hurt the top at all?

It felt like I was driving through the reincarnation of Katrina.

Ryan
Bump - anyone have any thoughts? Marco - you've gone through these before...

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Here's a tip for those owners who are fortunate enough to be able to wash inside their own garage. I was concerned after I bought the F150 stable mate last fall. How was I going to wash it and keep it clean without splashing the Solstice?

Picked up a "fan" spray head. Lets you flood the vehicle being washed without splattering all over the other car (or cabinets, or walls, etc.)

I actually use this now for even washing outside. I prefer it's ability to flood the section to be rinsed. Still use the "jet" type nozzle for wheel wells, etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts