Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone used the car bag to store thier solstice ? We're ablaze to also use batt mintor?

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on getting a car bag ( they are made in the usa in Bath Michigan ) but do not know if I attach battery tender will it produce any gases from batt. ? The bag encases the entire car.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No it comes with drying pellets a friend of mine stores his Mustangs this way been couple years loves them but takes batt. Out

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
I used to store my custom Harley in one and I had the fan set up it kept everything like a climate controlled environment . I would wash and wax it before I put it away and in the spring when I pulled it out it was just like when I put away, I could take it to a show it kept it that nice .It was in an unheated garage in northern Ohio so the temperatures fluctuated throughout the winter and yes I did remove the battery I'm actually thinking about getting one for my car . I keep it in my barn which is dry and has a cement floor it is covered with an outdoor type car cover I also park it on heavy rubber horse stable mats to keep moisture from leaching up through the floor in the winter but I still get a light coat of rust on my rotors which are slotted and drilled and it takes a couple of days to clean them up this really drives me nuts!

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My friend with the Mustangs stores them in a barn here in Michigan my sol. We'll be in unheated garage he's never had any dust rust or corrosion .im just worried if there is any gas buildup from batt. Tender

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Thread moved out of "Forum Web Site Issues" to "Car Care"

Great discussion, but this wasn't really a problem with the Forum web site itself, so I'm moving this important "Winter's on it's way" topic over to the "Car Care" forum.

Depending on how well the bag seals, desiccant pellets can work. The better the seal, the better the pellets will work at removing the moisture. However, if the bag develops a hole, or doesn't seal well, then the pellets will continue to absorb water until they are saturated, then the humidity inside the bag will start to rise.

The issue is that as the temperatures turn colder, the moisture from the trapped air inside the bag (which was dissolved in higher temperature air) can exceed the water vapor carrying capacity of the air as that air cools down. This can lead to condensation inside the bag and on the vehicle itself--even in places deep inside the structure--not just on the surface!

The fan solutions keep the air circulated and typically, the dew points are somewhat below the ambient temperature inside a garage, so you keep the vehicle in a non-condensing range of humidity just by using fresh air that, while it does have water in it, typically has less water than the condensation point, especially with the few degrees of increased temperature--even in an unheated garage--over ambient. However, the draw-back of a fan solution is that it will also pull in dust and fine particulates suspended in the air. To prove the existence of these particles, just look at the dancing patterns of dust inside your house in the still of the morning when the sun is streaming in through the window. So, in that sense, the fan solution, unless it has some pretty good filtration, may not provide as much protection against the deposition of dust on the vehicle as the sealed bag with the desiccant pellets.

Hmmm... That might be too much information for this forum, but I could provide some additional explanation of the solubility of water in air, dew points, relative humidity, the action of desiccant compounds, the Brownian motion of dust particles in air, and so forth... I'll leave it to you to ask for more if needed.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Wow ! way too much information for me "dancing patterns of dust" ?, bottom line is that once again I have used a bag and was pleased with the results I also have friends who have used the bags with the dessicant pellets and they too were pleased with the products just a matter of choice ,

·
Premium Member
17,529 Posts
Personally I would not seal up my car in a bag and leave it for long term storage. The fuel will outgas, the various volotile products will also outgas over time.

I also do not like to pull the battery. I like to keep it on the tender so the car is alive and ready to go. It is also monitoring its own systems and security systems.

If you put the battery on the tender for 48 hours prior to bagging the car, there should be little to no outgassing of the battery as the tender will charge it to an optimum level and keep it there.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all your input this is a awesome forum glad I joined ����

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Personally I would not seal up my car in a bag and leave it for long term storage.

Rob I agree with you I too would not leave a car in for "long term storage" but I think what we are looking at here is cars put away for the winter months maybe 5 . Once again myself and some friends have used these types of products for years with no ill effects .

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Personally I would not seal up my car in a bag and leave it for long term storage. The fuel will outgas, the various volotile products will also outgas over time.

I also do not like to pull the battery. I like to keep it on the tender so the car is alive and ready to go. It is also monitoring its own systems and security systems.

If you put the battery on the tender for 48 hours prior to bagging the car, there should be little to no outgassing of the battery as the tender will charge it to an optimum level and keep it there.
Excellent point! The fuel evaporation and battery outgassing as well as the other volatiles from the plastic and rubber materials would argue for NOT having a sealed bag. For that matter, a breathable cloth car cover to keep the dust off with a battery tender is probably all that is needed for long term storage.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again it will be one cover - steal wool-dryer sheets-40 lb in tires-full tank with stabl and decon!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts