Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2007 gxp that I put about 1000 miles on it this summer. I had the oil changed last October. Should I have the oil changed again before its put into storage for the winter, which lasts at least 5 months. Just looking for advice. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Assuming you put in the recommended synthetic oil, it should be fine

Make sure you use a battery tender to maintain the battery. It's a good idea to start the car and let it warm up and if possible drive it at least a short distance to keep everything lubed up

Consider conditions, if you get critters, use something like moth balls to keep them from eating your wiring.

Also, treat the rubber seals with dielectric grease to keep it from drying out

Fill the gas tank and add some stabil. Then run the car to distribute it through the fuel system

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
All that sounds fine, except the starting to let it warm up. Unless you drive several miles, more than 5 or 10, you will not warm the oil fully, and combustion products will build up. It's better not to start it at all, if you can't drive it long enough for a full warm up. We have the same discussion on the motorcycle forums, and I've personally seen the peanut-butter like stuff that forms in a crankcase from a too-short drive in cool weather.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advise and yes I used synthetic oil. Between road salt, snow and ice it doesn't leave the garage until April.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I change oil and filter before I store for the winter. Drive the car up on pieces of wood and fill the tires to 45psi so they don't flat spot. Been doing this for 7 years with no problems.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
All that sounds fine, except the starting to let it warm up. Unless you drive several miles, more than 5 or 10, you will not warm the oil fully, and combustion products will build up. It's better not to start it at all, if you can't drive it long enough for a full warm up. We have the same discussion on the motorcycle forums, and I've personally seen the peanut-butter like stuff that forms in a crankcase from a too-short drive in cool weather.
My recommendation was based on warming the car fully. Its possible to do anything poorly :grouphug:

In my opinion, based ln cars and motorcycles, its always better to run them than let them sit idle for months.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
I store my cars and trucks for the winter months and agree with all Rob has said a couple of things I would like to add .I wash and wax the car and give the interior a good cleaning I also run my vehicles when stored usually for around a 1/2 hour to get the temp to operating temperature .I cover the cars and place the car on jack stands and for the Solstice and Chevelle they are parked on heavy rubber horsemats to prevent the moisture that seeps up through the concrete .I've done this for more years then I care to remember and have never had any issues by the way it's snowing today in Columbia Station so it looks like I will be putting things away sooner then expected !

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
It's hard to get the oil up to temperature without driving several miles. Maybe idling 1/2 hour, or more, could do it, but, without an oil temperature gauge, you just don't know. It's certainly not hot when the radiator fan first comes on. I've always just let them be, and things are just fine in the spring. As long as you fill the tank and stabilize the fuel, and either get the tires off the ground and let the pressure down, or air them up if there is weight on them, it will be good. Driving/riding less than 5 miles in cool weather will cause the moisture in the oil to make a brown slurry, which is why I started taking the long way around to work and back, when I still worked. I had to take the engine apart after a fall season of 2.5 mile one way rides to work, maybe 3 times a weak, and was amazed how much peanut butter had built up.

A good battery tender helps, too, especially on a vehicle with a constant drain, like the Solstice.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Also, don't forget the Victor mouse traps: Amazon.com : Victor Easy Set Mouse Trap 4 Pack M033 : Home Pest Control Traps : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I use 8 of them around the walls in my 2-car garage, year round, trigger side set against the foundation. After going mouse free all summer long, like every year past, I scored 6 kills over just the past 3 weeks as soon as the night time temps started dipping into the 50's. You don't want these dirty pests setting up shelter in your cars, tools, parts boxes, and lawnmower bags over the winter.

I also like to throw a few old cotton sheets over my car when it sits for more than a few days. They help keep dust and dirt from settling into the top and paint finish.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Notably bad advice IMO and IME on starting a car in short term storage (< 1 yr). Starting a car periodically over winter that is in storage will introduce more moisture into the engine and oil through the cold hot cold cycle, even if you bring it up to operating temperature for a significant period of time. Also, acids in the oil are generated which isn't good for the bearing surfaces etc. These points are especially the case if you can't drive the car when started. There are plenty of good threads on this forum that talks about this and about storage.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Want to add this to my post as for mice I store my Solstice in my barn (it has a concrete floor )so mice are a problem I buy 6 boxes of moth balls and place them underneath each corner and in the middle of the car I also stuff a sponge in the exhaust pipe I've never had any problems with the little critters .One thing I'm looking at is a car cocoon which is a bag that you drive the car into and then zip it up .I had one for my bikes and the nice part is the chrome and brake rotors look just as nice as when you put the car away they run a couple hundred bucks for a car .

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Thought I'd be doing winter prep soon, but maybe not. Out for lunch on Sunday a local pulled in driving his Shelby "continuation series" Cobra. When I mentioned the days of driving were numbered he told me the projection is for mid-50's through November.

Might just be leaving the insurance on the Sol for a little longer!

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Thought I'd be doing winter prep soon, but maybe not. Out for lunch on Sunday a local pulled in driving his Shelby "continuation series" Cobra. When I mentioned the days of driving were numbered he told me the projection is for mid-50's through November.

Might just be leaving the insurance on the Sol for a little longer!
Whoa, that would be great news!!!! I am hoping to keep mine on the road until maybe US Thanksgiving. Weather will dictate. Snow = road salt = Sol go sleepy.:willy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts