Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wisconsin Badgers vs. Ohio State Buckeyes

Outdoor hockey. Yes thats right, OUTDOOR hockey! On February 11th in Lambeau Field, Green Bay, the Badgers will take on the Buckeyes in what will certainly be the biggest attendance hockey game in Wisconsin state history. The ice rink will be built in the north end of the playing field with bleechers built across the south end of the rink. Normal stadium seating will be used for the rest of the seating capacity which should be between 30,000 to 40,000 warmly dressed spectators. When Michigan played Michigan State outdoors they slammed the puck before a crowd approaching 79,000.00! Not exactly a Solstice tailgating event but should be great fun for all us hockey fans!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Finally,

Hockey, the way it was meant to be. Way to go Big Ten.

PAS, any idea on the usual airfare and flight conditions at that time of year?

Also, since it seems everything gets routed through O'Hare, would taking a train up be a reasonable alternative to the connecting flight if time isnt an issue?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Michigan - Michigan State game was a cool event, but there wasn't a good seat in the house. The seats were just too far from the field, the ice surface was too high and (worst of all) the ice was nearly clear (which made it look dark)!

Without the contrast of a black puck on a white surface, it was very hard to see the puck.

:( Man do I miss hockey.

·
Registered
316 Posts
MAKsys said:
Michigan - Michigan State game was a cool event, but there wasn't a good seat in the house. The seats were just too far from the field, the ice surface was too high and (worst of all) the ice was nearly clear (which made it look dark)!

Without the contrast of a black puck on a white surface, it was very hard to see the puck.

:( Man do I miss hockey.

Wow, Mak youre right. I hadnt thought about that. Also, is there any daylight that far North in February? :lol: If we cant see the puck, then that only leaves drinking something to keep one warm and singing, unless you watch the fights which I really hate to see happen at the college level.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully they learned some things from the Mich -v- Mich St game about rink placement, field color etc. At Lambeau placing the rink at the curved end of the stadium should make any seat from the 50 yard line through the north end zone great. End zone seats may be the best, but upper rows might have trouble seeing the puck.

Green Bay flights inter-connect from Austin-Strauble through Chicago, Detroit and Minneapolis. However if you are renting a car you can direct flight into Milwaukee (Mitchell). About and hour and forty-five minute drive north on I-43 to GB. I have found this is often quicker and more convenient than transfering flights. No passenger train service anymore to Green Bay. Caution, there are thousands of hotel rooms in the GB/Valley metro area but they fill up fast during a major event.

Badger hockey is a hot ticket in Wisconsin (as is any Badger sporting event). UW-Green Bay doesn't have a hockey team but the City has a USHL team that plays at the Resch Center next to Lambeau. Hockey diehards will travel from all over to this one! I will post ticket prices once they are announced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts