Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This new password criteria requirement is crap! 10 fricking characters, upper and lower case plus a frickin symbol. What the heck is this a government agency carrying government secrets? This is crap and I'm outta here! No, this is not crap, this is bullsh!t!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
its a pain

·
Premium Member
4,906 Posts
the password requirements being imposed are a little
over the top for something ( this site ) that is nothing but conversation. I guess I could live with it if it was one-and-done.

What really ticks me off is the need to reset the password
periodically. :banghead:

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
While I have never used the Remember Me? feature that's offered on the forum, I'm going to assume that for folks who don't like to sign in every time that it would be a useful feature to use.

At my workplace due to all the different programs and databases we deal with we are required to use and create unique passwords. A password to sign in, a password for timesheets, a password for purchases, and a passwords for almost every software program we use (and we use a lot). And don't even get me started on all the different interagency databases programs we sometimes have to access.

The only way I could keep track of them was by creating a password document that is now two pages long. It's a nightmare, plus they have to be changed on a continuing basis...because security.

Everyone at work B&M about it but most people knows it doesn't do any good because that's the work environment that has been created for us.

Now passwords are in our personal life too, turn the computer on and sign in w/a password. Want to do your personal banking or healthcare, how about buying stuff online, again passwords, passwords, passwords. Passwords are a part of life now and I don't see them going away anytime soon.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The thing people don't understand is what is called
"Social Engineering"
This is an important part of hacking and more importantly Identity theft.

While most people don't feel they post anything that has pertinent information there can be.
Most people use the same id's across numerous site and they also use similar passwords. So it might not be just the information from this site, but they can build a profile about you.
Someone could snag a password here, and then try and use it to access another site, like Facebook, to get more information, or a bank account, or open a credit card in your name, pretend to be you on a different forum, or see that you are at Nationals, and then go visit your unattended home, etc...

the first couple of episodes of the TV Show Mr. Robot, shows the above process. It's worth a watch if you want to get a somewhat accurate view of how this can be done.

Conversely creating a 10 Character password that satisfies the requirements is pretty easy. You just have to think about a way to make it easy for you.
Examples:
10Letters!
[email protected]@$$w0rds
[email protected]
S0lst!c3F0rum

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Secure passwords for stuff that matters. A forum about cars doesn't matter and if someone were to get my password it wouldn't matter. What's the worse they could do?

I have to agree with others that say this whole 10 digit password and the expectation that you will change it yearly is ridiculous. If the owners here would make more of an effort to secure the data instead of putting it on us we wouldn't be having this conversation.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
+1 for 10 digits is stupid.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Secure passwords for stuff that matters. A forum about cars doesn't matter and if someone were to get my password it wouldn't matter. What's the worse they could do?

I have to agree with others that say this whole 10 digit password and the expectation that you will change it yearly is ridiculous. If the owners here would make more of an effort to secure the data instead of putting it on us we wouldn't be having this conversation.
:agree: Since this whole issue started I've had to change my password 3 times once voluntarily the other 2 times because of the site .The first time went fairly easy the last 2 were a pain in the *ss at one point I could not log in for a couple of days because the site would not accept the password that they assigned to me .I really enjoy the forum and the interacting with other members but I have to be honest if I have to keep changing my password and going through the hassle that I have experienced I'll just end up not logging on and and become an outside observer .

·
Registered
96 Posts
Do yourself a big favor and go get this: https://1password.com, or one of the other good password managers.

I keep the passwords for everything in there and use it to generate new passwords as needed. It integrates into your browser and you can auto-fill password fields or copy/paste from it. By using 1password I have a unique password for everything, and never use less than 12 characters unless the site doesn't allow it.

As Elff stated above, the biggest risk is that you re-use your username/password from this site somewhere else more important. If you do that and this site gets popped (again), you risk someone being able to gain access to anyplace else you use the same username/password. A ten-digit password may seem like overkill, but anything less than eight is absurdly weak.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
So from what I gather this is first of all a service that you have to pay for and secondly who is to say that it can't be hacked no thanks !

·
Registered
189 Posts
It is a little much for a site that doesn't handle money or other info that I could possibly care about the world seeing/knowing. Not like I'd use the same password for teddybearsinpanties.com anyway :grin:

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I don't normally have my computer remember pass words but for this site I do since none of the information here is linked to any financial site. I just type my log in name and I'm in. "With all due respect" passwords aren't as much a problem for me as identity theft and if you've had that happen - well, you know what I'm talking about. All that said, I still would prefer not having to worry about password theft.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I've been down the identity theft road, and it wasn't fun, but the password requirements here are indeed over the top. I use similarly secure password methods on my financial websites, but it's not necessary on a forum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So from what I gather this is first of all a service that you have to pay for and secondly who is to say that it can't be hacked no thanks !
www.lastpass.com

Free, and since the information is not stored with them, its very secure.

IF you know computers, and computer security you can read all about it on their website. You can even go high security and print out a code sheet or something, and you have to have it to log in

Anyhow, its very secure, and Most my passwords are now over 20 characters, except sites that limit you to small numbers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts