Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I purchased a 2009 Solstice in May of 2009. Within two weeks it was in the shop with an air conditioning issue. In September of 2009 the top needed to be replaced, the trunk lid needed to be re-aligned, and all of the trunk torques and springs needed to be replaced and the a/c unit needed re-charging, again. In three months, back with the a/c unit needing re-charging and the center console cover was cracked. Six months, another new top and trunk lid re-alignment. Six months later, another top and another a/c re-charge. The latest problem is a break line leak which two dealerships cannot tell me how it occurred. Apparently, it "just came loose". All in all, the cup holder has been replaced twice, center console cover four times, top has been replaced four times, and the blue tooth has needed to be replaced. With a brand new vehicle which is only three years old with 47K miles on it, I am finding this disturbing. Is there anyone out there who has had any problems like this?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Wow. Not me. Just the cupholder and an initial broken buttress pin. I have 37k on my 2009.

Do you drive on rough roads?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide App

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Let me offer some advice based on having two cars and been involved in one way or another in helping maintain 40+ cars in our local club.

While there are many instances of issues with the top, if properly adjusted and maintained they are lasting very well. Our two are now over 5 years old and still look factory new. I make sure they are properly aligned, clean them regularly and treat them at least twice a year.

The issues with the top generally involve
1) improper alignment of the windows which causes the glass to rub against the top and damage to the canvas
2) lack of lubrication on the over the door hinge points which can result in pinching and damage
3) failure of the trunk hold down rubber feet which can result in damage to the top
4) failure of the adhesive joining the rear window with the canvas top cover
5) improper tension on the top which can result in several issues that present when the top is moved to the up position.
All of these issues are relatively easy to address by a tech who knows what they are doing. If you can provide a better description for the top issues you are having we may be able to offer some advice. You should never see a top failure.

A/C issues – since you are apparently loosing coolant fluid there is a hardware problem that can be addressed. I had my coolant depart the car after it sat idle for most of 2 years but I took it to a competent A/C repair shop, they used a die to find the source of the leak, installed some stop leak and a new charge and it has been working fine for several months. Most of the issues with A/C are related to the lack of use and the seals drying out and leaking. The recommendation is to make sure you engage the A/C (or defroster which uses the A/C) at least once a month to keep the seals well lubricated. The fact that the unit was recharged multiple times implies that one or more of the seals has failed and needs to be replaced. Again a competent tech will figure this out the fires time and get it fixed.

The center console has been recognized as a failure point for several years. The console cover is designed with the assumption that no heavy weight will be placed on it. It is a nylon injection molded structure that bridges the electrical cabling and parking brake hardware. It is a well-known failure point for owners who press down firmly on the center console while entering or exiting the car. Repeated high force cycles will cause it to crack and fail. There are a number of fixes.
1) Don’t lean on it
2) Reinforce the back side of the structure using off the shelf fiberglass / epoxy material
3) Install a brace under the cover to take the load
I did the latter on several cars and have not had any issues. Basically I cut a piece of semi-rigid packing foam and put it under the console cover such that it takes the load and the center console structure does not fail.

Alternatively, DDM Works sells a “hard” replacement console cover that includes two cup holders that many people have used with great success.
Again, a good tech should have addressed this failure with you so you could take the action of your choice. If you choose to install your own foam backing, the center console comes off very easily. Grab it on the rear on each side and pull upward and forward. There are two tabs on the rear that will pop loose. There are two tabs on the front so after you rotate it up to release the rear tabs, slide it to the rear and upward and the front will release. Then you can cut a piece of reinforcing foam to go under the cover and reinstall it.

Having to adjust your trunk lid is not difficult nor is it unusual. There is even a PDF version of the GM body adjustment manual available from this forum that you can use if you are of a mind to do your own adjustment. The fact that you have had your hinges and torsion bars replaced suggests that the adjustment was due to the trunk lid coming open while driving which will spring the hinges and cause the trunk to go out of alignment. I chose to do fine tuning adjustments on both our Sky and Sol over the past couple of years. I recommend you review the document.

The center cup holder is notorious. But . . . many have had very good experience with them once they are properly lubricated. Basically the issue is the design of the cup holder is when it retracts the curved portion collapses in upon itself. Without proper lubrication, this results in the cup holder “sticking” and eventually the friction becomes high enough that the hinge pins come out of the mechanism and it is “broken”. In most cases, if the “broken” portion is reinserted into the hinge and some dry lube installed on the sliding parts the cup holder will work as designed. Both of mine are lubricated on a regular basis and both work very well and freely. Please review this post for the “pinch method” for closing the cup holder. It works very well.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/replacement-fix-broken-cup-holder-69061/

Another consideration is you can have the center cup holder installed if you wish. They were deleted from the 09 model year but they can be installed as the mounting location is in all years.

I have not seen anyone with brake line integrity issues so have no historical perspective to offer. But that should not be a recurring issue.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My husband and I purchased a 2009 Solstice in May of 2009. Within two weeks it was in the shop with an air conditioning issue. In September of 2009 the top needed to be replaced, the trunk lid needed to be re-aligned, and all of the trunk torques and springs needed to be replaced and the a/c unit needed re-charging, again. In three months, back with the a/c unit needing re-charging and the center console cover was cracked. Six months, another new top and trunk lid re-alignment. Six months later, another top and another a/c re-charge. The latest problem is a break line leak which two dealerships cannot tell me how it occurred. Apparently, it "just came loose". All in all, the cup holder has been replaced twice, center console cover four times, top has been replaced four times, and the blue tooth has needed to be replaced. With a brand new vehicle which is only three years old with 47K miles on it, I am finding this disturbing. Is there anyone out there who has had any problems like this?
Sorry to hear about the recent problems with your Solstice. If any of these are reoccurring after the recent repairs, please let us know. Send a DM with your VIN#, contact information, dealership information, situation, and name please. This will be used for setting up a case with GM to record the problems and repairs. I hope all issues are resolved for you. Regards.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
1. Find another dealer. That's insane what you've gone through.

Rob nailed it on all points. Have an '07 that has had it's typical quirks but nothing like what you've been going through.

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
1. Find another dealer. That's insane what you've gone through.

Rob nailed it on all points. Have an '07 that has had it's typical quirks but nothing like what you've been going through.
:agree:
Sadly it appears that they have a sympathetic dealer who has done a lot of work that was probably not necessary had they sufficient experience with the platform to be able to affect the proper adjustments rather than just continually swapping out parts without addressing the underlying issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input everyone. I do not drive on rough roads. I avoid them like the plague to avoid any issues actually. All in all this car has been seen by 6 dealerships not counting the one it was purchased from.

Rob, In regards to the window issues, have you had an instance where the seal which goes from one side to the other around the windshield needs to be replaced and could this be causing some of the issues with the top? When the dealership replaced it, they told me it was basically shredded. How could this occur when the seal itself is somewhat protected? Also, I am leaking from the windows. Could they be out of line or something? I do notice that they fog around the edges after it has been washed. In regards to the a/c, it is the sensor GM used in the 2009 models. I was given the bulletin on it the first time it went in with the issue. Problem is, the unit is acting to specs with GM so they will not do anything about it except re-charge it when it is low. They put the dye in and could not find the leak. It has to be going somewhere right? What is happening with it is it blows cold, then warm, cold then warm. It is shutting itself off. This is due to the sensor. I live in a warm state so the a/c is used frequently so I do no think usage is the issue. My main concern is why it seems everything is coming loose. I am forever finding nuts and bolts all over the car when no work has been done. No one can tell me why a break line just came loose either. I am now looking at safety issues I guess. I wonder what is going to just fall off as I am driving down the road.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
If the weatherstrip on the top of the windshield was "shredded" I'd imagine it was from vibration - indicating the roof and/or latch was not adjusted correctly. If it were too tight it may have also worn, but I would think it would just be over-compressed, not "shredded".

My '07 has two spots where the "pins" on the top are supposed to go under and into the winshield frame before latching shut. Obviously the first owner didn't pay attention to this detail when closing the roof. Even though there are two divots taken out of the seal, it doesn't leak.

If you're leaking from the windows that is an alighment problem. There are several threads on those adjustments on the forum here. I get the fog around them when washing also and occasionally a drip on the inside if I shot water directly at the edge. It has never leaked on the rare occasion it's driven in the rain so I don't bother messing with it (for fear of making a problem where one doesn't exist.) I just open the door after washing (which I do anyway to wipe down the door frames and sills) and wipe down the glass.

As for the dealer stating that your A/C is "performing to specs" that just sounds to me like saying "we couldn't find out the problem." I'm pretty sure the GM "specs" don't include "re-charge every six months" so that argument doesn't hold true. You're right, if it's leaking it's going somewhere, they're just not looking hard enough.

As for the cold/hot/cold/hot that's pretty much a sign that your system needs to be recharged. The compressor kicks on and you get a dose of cold air then it kicks out and the air warms back up. I'm assuming this is fairly rapid?

I wouldn't hesitate to send a private message to Matt from GM Customer Service as he posted above (the private message button is in the upper right hand corner of all forum pages.) I'd push the issues. What you have going on is far from "normal".

·
Registered
702 Posts
My husband and I purchased a 2009 Solstice in May of 2009. Within two weeks it was in the shop with an air conditioning issue. In September of 2009 the top needed to be replaced, the trunk lid needed to be re-aligned, and all of the trunk torques and springs needed to be replaced and the a/c unit needed re-charging, again. In three months, back with the a/c unit needing re-charging and the center console cover was cracked. Six months, another new top and trunk lid re-alignment. Six months later, another top and another a/c re-charge. The latest problem is a break line leak which two dealerships cannot tell me how it occurred. Apparently, it "just came loose". All in all, the cup holder has been replaced twice, center console cover four times, top has been replaced four times, and the blue tooth has needed to be replaced. With a brand new vehicle which is only three years old with 47K miles on it, I am finding this disturbing.
Other than that, how did you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

Wow, what a litany of troubles.

My '09 has around 22,000 miles on it -- and have not experienced any of the troubles you mention. Knock on wood.

The only common problem you mention is the cup holder, which is notorious for breaking. The only reason mine hasn't broken is because I never use it.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Question, was this vehicle purchased new or used? If used, did you have a Carfax performed to see if it had been involved in any previous accidents? Also, many have replace OEM cupholder with billet a Santana cup holder, that I believe goes in place of the OEM unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Question, was this vehicle purchased new or used? If used, did you have a Carfax performed to see if it had been involved in any previous accidents? Also, many have replace OEM cupholder with billet a Santana cup holder, that I believe goes in place of the OEM unit.
It was purchased brand new. 50 or so miles on it when we took it home. The first a/c problems started at 1500 miles. I have pulled a CarFax and no accidents were ever reported so unless something happened from plant to dealership I have no idea. That is the first question I am asked when I bring it in with a problem so I am now wondering.....

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Many people are happy with the Santana cup holder.

Some have stated that it is sized for a larger cup and if you use a "small" cup its problematic. I have no personal knowledge.

As I have said, when properly used and lubricated as necessary our center cup holders have worked well for us. We use them frequently with no challenges.

They are not a great design and the choice of materials is not helping their functionality over time, but they can be made to provide good service in my opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To those of you who have suggested contacting, GM, they are no help. I think I will just begin mailing the parts back to them as they continue to fall off.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
To those of you who have suggested contacting, GM, they are no help. I think I will just begin mailing the parts back to them as they continue to fall off.
Did you have Matt set up a Customer Service Case number for you?

Believe me, when I say: It is possible to get GM Customer Service involved, and it will make a difference.
(See my P0101 thread)

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
dtl - don't give up that easily. You've gone through too much. Be adamant about it. As GS stated if you get a case number assigned they will continue to follow through. Sometimes it takes a while but don't walk away from it.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
On the other hand, if you want to just mail them parts as they fall off, you increase the odds of other members here being able to find replacement parts.

:lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you have Matt set up a Customer Service Case number for you?

Believe me, when I say: It is possible to get GM Customer Service involved, and it will make a difference.
(See my P0101 thread)
"Matt" is probably the same person I have been dealing with. Also, the same person who gave me a meaningless warranty a year and a half ago. They were willing to cover the center console only because it was replaced this past January and they would pay half for the interior door pieces. Unacceptable to me. If I never once did anything to maintain the interior of this car, I may be able to understand the door panels bubbling, but this car has been kept in immaculate condition and spends the majority of the time garaged. The door panels are clearly a mechanical and/or design flaw and I am unwilling to take that sort of deal from them. They have refused to cover anything and they refuse to continue to cover anything. This to me is General Motors refusing to stand behind their workmanship. This was a district manager I was speaking with and when I asked him to send me to the next level, I was told he was it. I am sure the General Motor's Board of Directors would love to know that they are not the ones making any sort of decisions within their own company. Oh, they did offer to take the car back and give me a credit for another GM vehicle. They haven't fixed the one I currently own why would I want another one?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts