Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a fan of wraps although I suppose they do allow you to gauge whether you like a colour on your car before spending the money to repaint.

Here is a really tacky but strangely alluring wrap on an Aston - has anyone done a chrome wrap on a Solstice (other than James Bond, I suppose)?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think ( Juston Beeber ) has a Chrome car but don't know what kind it is.
It's a Fisker Karma. He has a condo the next neighborhood over from mine and I've seen him, along with the paparazzi in tow. The chromed look is a bit too harsh on the eyes. Might be a little more interesting if it were somehow tinted or smoked... then it might look cool.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Guy near me has an SL-500 wrapped like that. Not a fan at all, looks ridiculous to me in person, plus what about fingerprints? That would drive me crazy if prints show!

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guy near me has an SL-500 wrapped like that. Not a fan at all, looks ridiculous to me in person, plus what about fingerprints? That would drive me crazy if prints show!
Way back in the 80s I was down racing at Laguna Seca and the AC club attended as spectators. I took a lunch break and went out into the surrounding fields to take a look at all the club cars. One industrious type had taken his Cobra, which was made up of alloy sheeting bent and welded, and polished it to a near chrome finish. He had signs around it saying 'PLEASE! DO NOT TOUCH!'

No idea how he overcame the issue of impurities at weld lines, except maybe constant polishing, but he had turned a perfectly usable car (worth a ton of money today, but that's another story) into something he would have had to spend significant time polishing every single week.

To each his own. At least the wraps don't oxidize and need constant upkeep.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Back in the mid 40s the war time Cars had what was called Black Chrome . All the chrome on the car was polished black and the cars were Black to.I think they were 1941,42 and 45 . the ones I've seen at shows were Plymouth ,Dodge & Chevrolet .They looked good and used overseas military Cars.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Didn't even know they could do that to cars. Anybody driving around that car better have polarized sunglasses.

So, are the racing stripes I see on the sols in this forum just vinyl instead of paint?
Some stripes are Vinyl and some are painted. :thumbs:

Vinyl is easy and relatively inexpensive.

Mine is Vinyl.

HTH

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
You always see the tractor Trailers W/polished chrome trailers they will blind you when the sun is in the right spot .My twin brother had a custom 46 ford pick-up W/polished diamond plate in the Bed & got a warning ticket to correct it so he sand blasted it gray.But the other big rigs get away with it . That was 10 years ago.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
There's a Nissan Cube here in Watertucky that is wrapped with pink and huge leopard print... I see it all the time. Next time, I'll try to catch a pic. It actually looks cool, then I think...."I could never date/marry/be married to anyone that would drive that"!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
That's scary 1 Lil.

The fact that you have a twin.

; )
Ya The scary part is we both have and do the same things ( Identical ) although he got rid of his Street Rod so he is Carless unless I can talk him into taking one of my Cars to a show . Oh and we are the same Age still :lol:. I am 2hr 20 min. older

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.