Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just receive a post card from GM about Chevy's SSR.
Although I have no use for such a pickup/car, the top picture got my attention, here is the same photo from the web site :

Since both vehicules are propulsion (with differential), would this concept be feasible?

Although, I don't think we would gain trunk space :(

What do you think Solstice gurus?

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
bmwtourer said:
I just receive a post card from GM about Chevy's SSR.
Although I have no use for such a pickup/car, the top picture got my attention, here is the same photo from the web site :

Since both vehicules are propulsion (with differential), would this concept be feasible?

Although, I don't think we would gain trunk space :(

What do you think Solstice gurus?
It will put the cost of the car over $30K.
However GM maybe thinking about it a long this line, though.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
It is a trick top, but its just not in keeping what the Solstice is meant to be. The mission for the Solstice, as stated by Bob Lutz, is a "back to basics" roadster. Part of that means going with simpler, cheaper equipment and leaving off some nice, but unnecessary convenience upgrades. A power operated hardtop would certainly fit.

Plus, the added weight of a folding hardtop and its associated power equipment would certainly negatively affect both the curb weight of the car, and its center of gravity.

Pontiac will be offering the G6 as a hardtop convertable in the not too distant future.

·
4,592 Posts
Is it possible, yes - will it happen, who knows? Let's ask Solsticeman's Magic Eight Ball:

Well, there you go! :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
RODEO said:
Is it possible, yes - will it happen, who knows? Let's ask Solsticeman's Magic Eight Ball:

Well, there you go! :lol:
I was wondering where that thing went!!!!!!

GIMME THAT BACK!!!

Let me shake it: <shake shake shake>

"Oh magic 8-ball, tell me... will Rodeo get himself into trouble soon?"

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Oh, man, I LOVE the SSR. A little pricey though, although the new near 400HP LS2 and 6-speed manual kinda makes it worth it.

Seems like Pontiac has a winner in that G6 hardtop convertible. Nice looking car, and for that price point, you can't buy any other hardtop convertible new (or used?). I can't imagine the Solstice getting a hardtop beyond a lightweight one-piece that you have to leave at home when it comes off.

I kinda appreciate that the top's not powered. Just more things to go wrong, you know? I have a buddy with an SLK230, and his top stopped working mid-retract. He drove home looking weird.

·
4,592 Posts
solsticeman said:
I was wondering where that thing went!!!!!!

GIMME THAT BACK!!!

Let me shake it: <shake shake shake>

"Oh magic 8-ball, tell me... will Rodeo get himself into trouble soon?"
What's a troll to do? :( :) I Fedexed the Magic Eight Ball back, please don't ban me, I'll be a good little troll.

I think there is a possibility that the Sol could one day morph into 2 cars, the original back to basics roadster, and an upscale version with a retractable hard top, but again, that's all speculation. It would give the Sol a selling advantage over the MX-5, but in an upscale way, the softop would remain as it's performance competitor.

Or, maybe the Sky will get it, and the Sol will remain a softtop only!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
It is possible that some day, the Solstice, Sky, another Kappa version, or a completely different small roadster will get a hardtop in place of the softtop at GM. However, the Sol just isn't going to get one overnight. Were probably talking a couple generations down the road. Certainly not this generation, and I'd doubt the second generation would get it either.

·
Registered
178 Posts
RODEO said:
What's a troll to do? :( :) I Fedexed the Magic Eight Ball back, please don't ban me, I'll be a good little troll.

I think there is a possibility that the Sol could one day morph into 2 cars, the original back to basics roadster, and an upscale version with a retractable hard top, but again, that's all speculation. It would give the Sol a selling advantage over the MX-5, but in an upscale way, the softop would remain as it's performance competitor.

Or, maybe the Sky will get it, and the Sol will remain a softtop only!
:lol: You guys are always good for a laugh or two. That's one of the many things I like about this forum. :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I just want to know where to get the images of the magic 8-ball :lol:

·
4,592 Posts
mceb said:
I just want to know where to get the images of the magic 8-ball :lol:
I see a new thread starting here :glol:

think google???? How 'bout you all mighty super mod, how'd you do it - oh - he took a digi cam into his office, and picked up the 8-ball from his desk :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts