Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hate the fact that there is no place to put my phone in my solstice. I could get a generic mount but the windshield is already small enough without a huge suction cup mounted to it. So what I was thinking was remove the passenger vent (it's as simple as just putting your fingers in the vent and pulling it pops right out) and replacing it with a cellphone mount. The mount is angled at roughly 15 degrees to angle it towards the driver. This is not only great to rest your phone but it's also a good place if you use your phone as your GPS. I have a 3d printer on the way and will be making myself one of these mounts. I was just curious to see if anyone else would be interested in it.

The install would take less then 1 minute and is 100% reversible within a minute as well. You could keep the vent in the glove box and use the mount while you drive to the car show. Once you arrive simply pop-out the mount and pop-in the vent.

The current setup will block the vent so it won't be useable, but I'm working on a design where it would be partially useable. The left vent will work just fine and won't be blocked.

The pics below show the center dash of the car where the 2 vents are located

Edit: Added image

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would love to have somewhere to put my phone. It either rests inside the shift boot once im in cruising gear, or slides around on the passenger seat.

·
Registered
453 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This bicycle mount fits perfectly on the top portion of the grab bar. I use it for my cell phone, GPS and iPod. Costs $4.89.

Bicycle Bike Handle Bar Mount Holder for Cell Phones iPhone 4 4S Galaxy S3 Droid | eBay

Rotates to horizontal or vertical use, and swivels 180 degress for the perfect line of sight.
Personally I think it's a little too bulky and out of place. I'm looking for something that is very minimal and out of the way, but still easy to see at the same time. I decided that no generic mounts will suit what I'm looking to achieve and I will have to build my own.

Edit: Do you have a picture of it installed by any chance?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Personally I think it's a little too bulky and out of place. I'm looking for something that is very minimal and out of the way, but still easy to see at the same time. I decided that no generic mounts will suit what I'm looking to achieve and I will have to build my own.

Edit: Do you have a picture of it installed by any chance?
I'll take a pic in a few minutes. You're making a problem where none exists. This device is perfect and is not out of place; especially compared to something jammed into a vent. And it doesn't cost you use of the vent. Suit yourself ,though. I have no dog in this fight, and won't make a dime.

First pic shows device pushed aside when not in use. Second is when in use. Both pics were taken while in in the driver's seat, as if driving. BTW, my girlfriend thinks her picture on the phone makes her look fat. What do you think?

I'm betting you think that's not my girlfriend, because only really smart people own kappas ;o)

But, DMG is right. It is too clunky. I have a compact, lightweight version on order and will post when I get it. But at least you now have another option, or at least food for thought. Cheers!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Considering the alternatives available, I would only look into this solution if the cost (including shipping) was $10 or less.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Not sure how much it will cost I haven't created it yet. I have it all drawn up and ready to print I just have to print it. I would imagine it would be over 10$ shipped though as it won't be made on some mass production line :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
I hate the fact that there is no place to put my phone in my solstice. I could get a generic mount but the windshield is already small enough without a huge suction cup mounted to it. So what I was thinking was remove the passenger vent (it's as simple as just putting your fingers in the vent and pulling it pops right out) and replacing it with a cellphone mount. The mount is angled at roughly 15 degrees to angle it towards the driver. This is not only great to rest your phone but it's also a good place if you use your phone as your GPS. I have a 3d printer on the way and will be making myself one of these mounts. I was just curious to see if anyone else would be interested in it.

The install would take less then 1 minute and is 100% reversible within a minute as well. You could keep the vent in the glove box and use the mount while you drive to the car show. Once you arrive simply pop-out the mount and pop-in the vent.

The current setup will block the vent so it won't be useable, but I'm working on a design where it would be partially useable. The left vent will work just fine and won't be blocked.

The pics below show the center dash of the car where the 2 vents are located

Edit: Added image
I like it, and if the price is right would,buy one

·
Registered
413 Posts
First of all love the ingenuity and would love to talk about another type of project but for this I have a great phone case that slips right into the vent. Though they no longer carry my exact one here is a model that is similar. It works for iPhone 4 and you just rotate the vent (upside down) so it stays vertical or horizontal for landscape view.
Here is a pic from eBay they range from $8.95 to $10 right now. Later if anyone's interested I can take a pic of my exact one in use.

In eBay search: iPhone 4 rubberized kickstand

SOLODIO

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
dmg - have you worked with 3D printers before? I'm concerned about the durability of a "snap" member. I've worked with rapid prototypes before - mostly SLS - and the nylons you can work with are fairly durable but I'd foresee a snap/latch not holding up for many cycles.

Though I personally wouldn't want the type of mount you've designed, I can see where others may be interested. Nicely done!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I just got one of those black silicone jackets for mine and keep it in that cutout area under the e-brake handle. Unless you make an extremely fast and hard left, it pretty much stays put.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have a sticky rubber between the seats you can pick them up a flea market for 5 and 7 bucks. Clean console lay it on a put phone down. When it loses its sticky you wash it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
cartmann32 -- what's the name of the obdII phone app?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
It's a great option and an easy install. I have one of my center vents converted to a change holder. :thumbs:

·
Registered
453 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts