Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Columns/articleId=104594

According to the article, Ford has grown tired of Jaguar bleeding red ink. It quotes a figure from Ford showing losses by the Premier Auto Group and Ford of Europe as a whole at over $600 million last year, and indicates most of that is tied directly to Jag.

Ford officially says they are hanging with Jaguar, and Bill Ford thinks they should cut back on market share, dump entry level cars, and concentrate on the upper end of the market. Or in other words, go back to where they were before Ford showed up.

The problem with that is Jag was in no better shape than now.

Looks like they will be around a while, but just the thought of killing it going through the halls of Ford has to really worry Jag loyalists!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Jaguar- A long time Jaguar enthusiast here. The Jaguar was solely responsible for the beginning of my love of cars. I remember still as a 7 year old boy leaving school one day and seeing one parked at curbside and thinking it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen, (still is). I must have walked around that car 20 times... And I fell in love... not even knowing what it was. It was an E-Type. As an attorney friend told me once in SF, 'You know Mike? A Mercedes will always scream nouveau riche but a Jag whether old or new always says 'old money'. My counter was that the Merc does indeed scream new money, but the Jaguar's understatement would likely be a whispered 'Oh really?' Jaguar will survive. I believe that. Ford needs to let Jaguar be a Jaguar and stop playing with the marque. They've americanized that car to point of being criminal. :rant

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
If they drop Jag then they should be forced to drop the Lincoln LS (shared chassi with S type), the new Zephyr derivative as well as the all wheel drive versions of the Montego and the 500. Seems like the accountants posted some things in the wrong columns. And to think I was this close to an X-type. BMW could probably step in for purchase and someday every British car will come out of Germany.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts