Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my Solstice. But wouldn't it be nice if you could program with the remote/DIC to have the windows go down/up when you unlock the doors or trunk or up when you lock it... would make putting the top up and down much eaiser.

·
Registered
729 Posts
It would be nice if it was standard, and I'm pretty sure you can get this feature with an after-market alarm system.

- bspate -

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Loft_guy said:
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my Solstice. But wouldn't it be nice if you could program with the remote/DIC to have the windows go down/up when you unlock the doors or trunk or up when you lock it... would make putting the top up and down much eaiser.
I thought that Kappasphere (Lillie) had that as a possible mod item (remote).

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
The G6 windows go down one inch EVERY time you open the door, and go up automatically when you close the door.

QUESTION:

Are the power-window switches AUTO? i.e. one press and the window goes down without having to hold the button?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Fortimir said:
QUESTION:

Are the power-window switches AUTO? i.e. one press and the window goes down without having to hold the button?
Driver's side - YES.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Electric Top.......

Since we're dreaming. Let's go for the gusto........A remote top (complete electrical without the manual stuff). :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
ntouched said:
Since we're dreaming. Let's go for the gusto........A remote top (complete electrical without the manual stuff). :yesnod:
Ya know, at the very least it seems strange that they didn't have an electric loser on the trunk. Hopefully aftermarket will offer something.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Editguy said:
Ya know, at the very least it seems strange that they didn't have an electric loser on the trunk. Hopefully aftermarket will offer something.
MOST cars have a handle or something to close the trunk with... can't say the same for the Solstice. An auto close would be nice, but how easy to impliment?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Fortimir said:
MOST cars have a handle or something to close the trunk with... can't say the same for the Solstice. An auto close would be nice, but how easy to impliment?
I wouldn't think it would be any more difficult than any trunk; and it already has electric release. It would eliminate the closing problem most people have. When I did it Saturday, I didn't get it the first time but got it the second. I just think it would be simpler to have power close.

·
Registered
819 Posts
These thoughts are great, but we also have a whole host of other things to consider. This car is intended as a "back to basics roadster". All the automatic features break that mold. I know, so do a whole group of other add ons, but I just had to bring it up.

Let's consider the automatic closer for the trunk. The automatic opening is done through a latching solenoid, which should be fairly small and light. An automatic closer would add quite a few other cables and motors that we have limited room for now. It might also make the problems, that have been discovered with the closing of the top (locking mechanism not set for storage), even worse than they are when the trunk is closed manually.

Remember, they were bringing this car to market mainly from the GM worldwide parts bins, and in a fairly short period of time. I like the ideas, but also see the various pitfalls that may happen when trying to implement them.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Fortimir said:
Can't be that hard... my '88 GTA had it.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
crawdadsolstice said:
These thoughts are great, but we also have a whole host of other things to consider. This car is intended as a "back to basics roadster". All the automatic features break that mold. I know, so do a whole group of other add ons, but I just had to bring it up.
If GM were to give us a Solstice with everything on it that has been suggested on this forum, I think it would end up being the Cadillac Solstice! :glol: Loaded to the gills, and priced like it. ;)

AS for after the purchase mods... I think it would be nice to be able to wire something into the power windows that adds window indexing, so you get a good seal everytime you shut the door (that is when the window drops a quarter of an inch when you open the door, and goes back up after it is shut).

·
Registered
854 Posts
Fortimir said:
The G6 windows go down one inch EVERY time you open the door, and go up automatically when you close the door.

QUESTION:

why?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
No extras, No problem......where's my Solstice?

I will be jumping for joy when my Solstice rolls off the transpo truck. With or without the gadgets. I am going to happily get in and out of the car to raise and lower the top. I'll have no problems manually opening and closing the trunk. Just get me my Solstice! :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
crawdadsolstice said:
Let's consider the automatic closer for the trunk. The automatic opening is done through a latching solenoid, which should be fairly small and light. An automatic closer would add quite a few other cables and motors that we have limited room for now. It might also make the problems, that have been discovered with the closing of the top (locking mechanism not set for storage), even worse than they are when the trunk is closed manually.

Remember, they were bringing this car to market mainly from the GM worldwide parts bins, and in a fairly short period of time. I like the ideas, but also see the various pitfalls that may happen when trying to implement them.
The parts bin is exactly why this would be so simple. Caddies have had these for decades. The release and closing mechanism is one unit. It doesn't require any cables and only a simple motor, and the wiring that is already there. You push the trunk lid down until it engages and the motor pulls it down into place. And closing it that way would be no different than doing it manually (therefore, no more problematic than it is now), except that it would close first time, every time. I have taken them and retrofitted them to another car. I may do that if I'm fortunate enough to get a Sol. ;)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
TOY4TWO said:
Why do the windows in the G6 go down every time you open the door and go up when you close them?

Window Indexing: By moving the edge of the glass INTO the weatherstripping instead of the weatherstripping just sitting there, causes a much better seal. When you put the top up on a convertible, put the windows up last.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Window indexing is a great feature... my previous car had it and it does make sense. Also the seals don't wear out as fast...on my Solstice drivers front window part of the exterior flap always gets caught in the window instead of staying put on the outside. Needs adjustment, if the car had window indexing, the window would lower then raise up after the door was shut and form a good seal. BTW, no water leaks in mine even with the window seal not staying put. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts