Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 17, almost 18, and have been looking for my first car. I've been really passionate about getting a coupe car, as I really love their general design and the aesthetic of them. I found a Convertible '07 Solstice 2dr in my area for ~7k, the car looks to be in great shape and has 130k miles on it. I've looked at dozens of other coupes but in my area, it's mostly Camaros, Mustangs, and a few Corvettes, all considerably higher priced.

I'll be going starting college later this month; however, I'm not too concerned with storage space, as I've seen/heard many point out that this car has very little storage space, (especially with the top down) but I don't have much I'll be needing to take with me, nor will I have the top down very often. In terms of my daily commute, my commute from my house to the college is 15 miles and from my house to work is 17 miles (And 2 miles between work and the college). With these numbers in mind would it be a good daily driver, and would it be a good daily driver for my first ever car?

I'd greatly appreciate any and all feedback on this you all can provide, I've seen you all to be passionate about this car and I hope to (if not with this first car, eventually down the road) join the group of Solstice owmers.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,319 Posts
It depends. does it snow where you live?
Are you responsible?
Will you treat the vehicle like it should be treated?
Have you driven a RWD vehicle before?

Are you looking at getting an automatic or a manual transmission?

Do you know how to turn a wrench? Or do you have deep pockets? Repairs are costly when they come up and if you don't know how to do it yourself or you are unwilling to learn how then you will have to pay someone and that really drives the price up. Water pump is common and has a cost of just under 1000.000. Timing chains also need to be replaced and have a high price tag. HPFP will set you back a few bucks as well.

Not trying to scare you away from getting a Solstice, you need to know what you might be getting into.

One of the best things you can do at your age and seeing as how you are looking at getting a car for the first time, do the repairs yourself. Learn how to do it, you have the worlds largest single source of information at your fingertips. You have been given the one skill that you need in order to do anything. you know how to read. You will take better care of your vehicle if you invest your time , blood and sweat into keeping it road worthy. It doesn't matter what car you get, learn to fix it yourself. Nothing quite like that feeling you get after a successful repair especially if it was a challenging one.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
yeah - snow is a great topic.

I still vote 'no' for a first car.

Unless you have access to someone else's car to haul stuff,
Get a Vibe or Matrix, or the Camaro, a Kia, a Toyota-anything...

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Would love to welcome you to the circle, but going to school full time will mean you don't have the time or money if something crops up. That may not happen, but when mileage goes up that means things are wearing out and repairs are more likely. I would be concentrating on reliability at this stage of your life.

For clarification, a "coupe" is a hard top. A "roadster" is a 2 seat convertible.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
9,176 Posts
I am 17, almost 18, and have been looking for my first car. I've been really passionate about getting a coupe car, as I really love their general design and the aesthetic of them. I found a Convertible '07 Solstice 2dr in my area for ~7k, the car looks to be in great shape and has 130k miles on it. I've looked at dozens of other coupes but in my area, it's mostly Camaros, Mustangs, and a few Corvettes, all considerably higher priced.

I'll be going starting college later this month; however, I'm not too concerned with storage space, as I've seen/heard many point out that this car has very little storage space, (especially with the top down) but I don't have much I'll be needing to take with me, nor will I have the top down very often. In terms of my daily commute, my commute from my house to the college is 15 miles and from my house to work is 17 miles (And 2 miles between work and the college). With these numbers in mind would it be a good daily driver, and would it be a good daily driver for my first ever car?

I'd greatly appreciate any and all feedback on this you all can provide, I've seen you all to be passionate about this car and I hope to (if not with this first car, eventually down the road) join the group of Solstice owmers.
My first car was a 17-year-old MGB, and my second was a 10-year-old Triumph TR6. In between was a 10-year-old Honda motorcycle. I was advised against all three, all three were totally impractical, none were very reliable, and I am absolutely happy about all three choices, even with the problems they caused me.

Mechanically the Solstice is no more or less reliable than any other 15-year-old car, but it would be a disaster to get repaired if you bend part of it. It is also not the best choice for bad weather driving, with low ground clearance and wide tires.

How flexible is yur schedule, and what resources do you have if something goes wrong?

Reactions: Sting Ya

·
Registered
527 Posts
Most roadsters serve better as a 2ndary or tertiary car. Vandalism may be a concern depending where you will be a parking it. In your stage in life, it's best to own a more practical vehicle that requires little maintenance. Practical does not necessarily mean less fun. There are lots of coupe or sporty practical car options available.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Based on what crap I did with my first car, today's me would never choose a Solstice as a first car for 18-year old me. In fact I think 18-yo me should have gotten a cheaper, simpler car still than what I did!

I suggest you get a real beater as your first. Mistakes will happen, it's part of life. Making them with a Solstice (or a Camaro, Corvette, Mustang) will just be so much more expensive and aggravating.

It'd be really wiser to establish a savings fund toward your future sports car, for you to buy it after college as the second or third car you have owned. Believe me, even if I don't know you, I know there's a good statistical chance you'll be giving your first car a harder life and it will cost you more if it is a sports car of any sort.

Might I suggest a Scion xB? I find some charm in that car's exceedingly square styling. Or even a Nissan cube, also a square-ish box that'd be economical, roomy and reliable. If you're fonder of the curvaceous aesthetic, a Nissan Qashqai might be more of your liking?

Get your beater econobox, drive the hell out of it, learn to find emotion and fun in an adequately powered (or even slightly underpowered!) car first. It's not all about sheer acceleration only. Getting a powerful car for starters might alienate you from all the other fun aspects of driving, skills you will be more inclined to hone if you get a econobox of some sort. After you feel you've ironed out some kinks (and saved for a sportscar), you will be able to enjoy a Solstice much much more. And depending on how much you've saved, it might even enable you to keep the Sols as a hobby, weekend car and keep your econobox for daily use!

I'd like to finish this piece of advice by stating a Brazilian proverb that says that "if your advice was really that good, you wouldn't give it away for free, rather charge for it". So, with all that text up here said, it's still your call. Good luck.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Based on what crap I did with my first car, today's me would never choose a Solstice as a first car for 18-year old me. In fact I think 18-yo me should have gotten a cheaper, simpler car still than what I did!

I suggest you get a real beater as your first. Mistakes will happen, it's part of life. Making them with a Solstice (or a Camaro, Corvette, Mustang) will just be so much more expensive and aggravating.

It'd be really wiser to establish a savings fund toward your future sports car, for you to buy it after college as the second or third car you have owned. Believe me, even if I don't know you, I know there's a good statistical chance you'll be giving your first car a harder life and it will cost you more if it is a sports car of any sort.

Might I suggest a Scion xB? I find some charm in that car's exceedingly square styling. Or even a Nissan cube, also a square-ish box that'd be economical, roomy and reliable. If you're fonder of the curvaceous aesthetic, a Nissan Qashqai might be more of your liking?

Get your beater econobox, drive the hell out of it, learn to find emotion and fun in an adequately powered (or even slightly underpowered!) car first. It's not all about sheer acceleration only. Getting a powerful car for starters might alienate you from all the other fun aspects of driving, skills you will be more inclined to hone if you get a econobox of some sort. After you feel you've ironed out some kinks (and saved for a posrtscar), you will be able to enjoy a Solstice much much more. And depending on how much you've saved, it might even enable you to keep the Sols as a hobby, weekend car and keep your econobox for daily use!

I'd like to finish this piece of advice by stating a Brazilian proverb that says that "if your advice was really that good, you wouldn't give it away for free, rather charge for it". So, with all that text up here said, it's still your call. Good luck.
PS. Some other fun cars come to mind... Honda Jazz (any generation especially 2nd). Hatchback Corolla (only relatively new ones come in hatchback style). Ford Fiesta or Focus Hatchback. Chevy Sonic. Scion tC. Etc. Etc.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,319 Posts
OK OK OK. I gotta let the goat out of the pen here.

all of the people in this conversation except for the OP have quite a few years behind them. While we all speak from experiences in reality we cannot tell you whether or not you should get it as a first vehicle. Well we can, But each and every single one of us already knows that you are going to get whatever it is you want and there is nothing that any of us can say that will change that. You have to live your life and you have to live with the decisions you make. All we can inform you of is maintenance costs, the driving aspects of the car .. handling and such, and also how impractical these cars are. One of the biggest things you should be looking at is the cost of insurance. A 2 seater vehicle with a teenage driver listed as primary driver.. the insurance alone is going to cost you a small fortune. The cost of insurance is what may make your decision for you.

Do you live near the ocean? I know that sounds like a silly question, but I did when I was your age and I can tell you that I spent many many summer days at the ocean and the ability to only have one other person go with you I would think that would kinda suck. I am also working under the assumption that you are a guy as you really don't have a feminine username so don't take offense to this if you are a female but the same kind of thing would apply. Say you are out with a buddy and you meet a girl, maybe she needs a ride home.. guess what?? you just struck out. You shouldn't leave your friend standing on the curb.

As much fun as you would have in the car you will have twice as many not so fun times because of the inability to carry pretty much anything other then yourself and one other person. You also have to remember that the car is an eye catcher. This can be a good thing, it is also a bad thing. Because there are not that many of them seen on the road they do draw attention, the attention of the police as well.

Don't get me wrong I was all about the 2 seater impractical cars a well. I still am actually. But with age comes the ability to own more then one vehicle. So owning an impractical one doesn't become a hindrance. Get something with a back seat, insurance will be cheaper and if needed you can put at least 2 other people in the car.

In the end you go ahead and get whatever car you want. Just know that the solstice is not a vehicle that likes snow all that much. If you drive it in the snow and are not familiar/experienced with how to drive a car like this in the snow you are going to bend it up. I will guarantee that. It took me a number of years of driving before I would say that I was good at driving most vehicles in the snow. I practiced a lot also, when it would snow out I would bring my car to the mall in the middle of the night where there is a lot of open space and intentionally get the car to slide at higher speeds. I did this to learn how to correct it and to learn how the vehicle handles. I still do this today with every new car I get. I just purchased a Lincoln MKZ and at the first snowfall in the middle of the night I will be at the closest mall doing my thing.

The other thing is the Solstice has a high number of costly repairs that can need to be done even if the car has <50,000 miles on it. It is not like a Toyota or a Subaru where the car is mostly trouble free from anything major for the first 100,000 miles. So just because you may find one that is an excellent price at it has 40,000 miles on it, you need to have 3-4 thousand in the bank to pay for the typical repairs that need to be done around that mileage if they haven't been done.

Reactions: GAT

·
Registered
08 Sky Redline, 5M
208 Posts
I also vote for NO as a first car. Agreeing with what everyone on all points above, as a now-40-something person who also loves cars. My first car was a 77 TA and I barely had enough money to keep up with repairs. I also now have a Honda Fit and tho it's not fast, it does handle "OK", and has loads of space inside for moving stuff and people. It's super cheap for repairs, needs almost nothing except fluid changes, brake pads and tires. Had an older Honda with 300k miles on it, still ran great when I sold it.
As a 2nd car when you have more income, go for it.

Reactions: GAT and agent008

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Say you are out with a buddy and you meet a girl, maybe she needs a ride home.. guess what?? you just struck out. You shouldn't leave your friend standing on the curb.
I hope that my wingman knows how to use the Uber app! :ROFLMAO:
I say go for it... but get a non-turbo 2.4L with an automatic transmission.

• Haha
Reactions: agent008 and JohnWR

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I vote yes for a 2.4 but with a manual transmission.
I wonder if today's new drivers would be able to work triple pedals... :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so much to everyone who has replied so far! The car is a 2.4L Automatic for anyone wondering (I would get a manual but I haven't been able to learn just yet). Without divulging too much information about myself: I live in East TX about 150-160 miles from the nearest beach, I needn't really worry about passengers as I'd really only have my gf in the car with me if anyone (whenever I go out with friends we've had a set person always driving because their vehicle has more space than anyone else's and they're fine with being the so-to-speak, "designated driver"), and lastly the car I have the most experience driving is a FWD so I don't have much experience with a RWD vehicle. I treat my things really well and have always been a cautious driver, nonetheless I understand the concern on having a new/inexperienced driver behind the wheel of such a car. If anything serious comes up most of the money would be spent on getting the part as I have some family friends and family who have varying degrees of experience as a mechanic, I also have several ways of getting anything hauled if necessary, so that's not an issue.

However, I went to the dealership that had the Solstice earlier today and he had sold it recently but forgot to update his website to say it was sold. So it looks like I won't be able to get the car, I appreciate all the caution and information you all have presented to me, and, hopefully, somewhere down the line, I'll join this amazing group as an owner of a Solstice. Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
132 Posts
All the things above are good points. I will make a couple others
1. They are really easy to brake into. Never lock them and make sure you never leave valuables inside. Keep the stock radio. No one wants it so it won’t get stolen.
2. You will need lots of money. I’m not talking about repairs. I’m talking about date money. Because the girls will be lined up. 😂

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
I've owned well over 70 cars in my lifetime many were by others standards impractical and pretty much enjoyed most of them ,the others were a life lesson . Your young and have a whole life ahead of you to deal with the practical side of it I say go for it !
I agree!!

·
Banned
143 Posts

i would have to say, "GO FOR IT", as a 1st car.

as long as you respect the car, and don't abuse it with burn-outs and feeling the need to impress others by racing between stop lights...it is a car that will give you years of enjoyable driving.

yes, some replacement parts are difficult to find, so treat this car right.

enjoy your decision of purchasing this unique and fun car.
expect a lot of attention and smiles per mile.

regards,
konoa

·
Registered
107 Posts
Best first car is one that heightens your awareness of fear of major injury during mishap.
Best first car is one you will love so you will respect it and take care of it.
Best first car is inexpensive.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts