Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my mind settle on a Solstice....out curiosity I visited a local Chrysler dealer where a brand new loaded 04' Crossfire was available for $10k off sticker (below KBB). The salesperson offered a test drive in a Dark Gray, 6spd. I must admit I was impressed with the excellent fit and finish, performance (mostly midrange torque/hp), decent trunk space, and styling. I seriously consider pulling the trigger on this Crossfire since it costs the same as a loaded 06' Solstice....any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Crusher said:
I had my mind settle on a Solstice....out curiosity I visited a local Chrysler dealer where a brand new loaded 04' Crossfire was available for $10k off sticker (below KBB). The salesperson offered a test drive in a Dark Gray, 6spd. I must admit I was impressed with the excellent fit and finish, performance (mostly midrange torque/hp), decent trunk space, and styling. I seriously consider pulling the trigger on this Crossfire since it costs the same as a loaded 06' Solstice....any thoughts?
LOL, tell him to hold it until October, when you test drive your Solstice. Then make the decision...I wish everything was that easy :)

·
Premium Member
10,409 Posts
But even with 10K off if it is a convertible it will be over 30K for sure. The sticker price for a convertible is well over 40K.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It's not even out, and the Solstice has be getting a lot of attention in the market place... competitors are pannicking... noticed a Honda dealer here offering all of their new S2000's for 30k...remember 2 yrs. ago, IF you could find one, it was at a 2-5k premium over the 34k sticker...now they are all over the place...at least here in the Detroit area!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was a coupe for over $24k. A 05' Crossfire soft top was available for $4k off. My better half owns a TT Roadster, so the Crossfire would be a nice change of pace. I really like the German engineering built into the Crossfire (aka 04' Mercedes SLK) and the Chyrsler 7/70K powertrain warranty.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Edmunds says the TMV for a base softtop is about 33k and the SRT6 version has a MSRP of over 49k. I'll wait for those in used.

·
Registered
312 Posts
New Crossfire (2004) = $24K

Yep,

I concur! The dealerships around the Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN area are packed with all sorts of Crossfires. Even 70 miles out of the metro where I live, my dealership has about 5 of them...some 2005.

A 6'+ won't fit....I'm hoping the Solstice is better.

But, really, the Crossfire at $24K is a steal...really a Mercedes Benz but better looking.

RadRiv

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Crusher said:
Keep in mind, the '06s are out or soon to be out. That makes the Crossfire two years old already. The Solstice will be at center stage when it hits the streets. It will turn quite a few heads. The Crossfire is old news. I wonder just how well they sold as I rarely see them on the road.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the comments!

Well, I admit I was a little concern with the Solstice's First Model year quality control and overall growing pains. I feel very comfortable with the Crossfire's proven drive train and even though the Crossfire is a 2004, it's still new for me. IMHO, the Crossfire is more car for the money in this case. I will make a final decision today....so keep the comments comming!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Crusher said:
First off, you said Crossfire is a 2004...10k a 04 is no big deal...secondly, it was "news" 2 yrs. ago, Solstice will be THE news for the next year or so...If you got a bug to drive something NOW...do what I did, I just found a 1991 MR2 in GREAT condition...I now have 2 people who want the MR2 when my SOL comes in, one gave me a sizeable deposit... and I'm having a great Summer at minimal cost. If you do a little homework, find an older (depreciated) "toy" that is in great condition...I believe you WILL find a similar opportunity!! :yesnod:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Crusher said:
Well, I admit I was a little concern with the Solstice's First Model year quality control and overall growing pains. I feel very comfortable with the Crossfire's proven drive train and even though the Crossfire is a 2004, it's still new for me. IMHO, the Crossfire is more car for the money in this case. I will make a final decision today....so keep the comments comming!
Crossfire is a really nice vehicle. Where else are you going to find a Mercedes engineered sports car for $24K new? I agree, it is a hard deal to pass up.

If you buy it, I wouldn't have any regrets if I were you. It is a stylish looker and fun to drive.

·
497 Posts
I'll wait

I have always been fond of the SLK and especially the new 350. I was very excited with the introduction of the Crossfire; I was very interested until I actually sat in it. The interior totally turned me off. I know it is purely subjective but to me it seemed cheap and I didn’t care for the angular dash design as it seemed dated. In all fairness, had I taken the car for a test drive, my impression of the interior may have been a non-issue.

From this experience, I can’t help but think in the back of my mind that there is a possibility I’ll feel the same way about the Solstice. At least I really like the design of the Solstice interior (and LOVE the exterior) and I was very happy with what I believe to be similar materials, fit and finish in the G6 I recently rented on a business trip.

Thankfully, I am not in immediate need of a new car and I am, quite frankly, amazed that I’m feeling so patient waiting for the Solstice. I think it will be worth the wait.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
NADA lists a 2004 with 50 miles for $25,100, trade in $21sumpthin. Made the assumption that it wasn't a roadster (were they even available in 2004?)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Crossifres are going for incredibly low prices now. I've seen them sell for as low as $22,000. I don't know why they're so unpopular. I guess it's because you can get better performance (S2000, 350Z) for close to the same price. But I've driven the Xfire and thought that it had plenty of "real world" performance.

Remember this, though. Next year, Chrysler dealers will be dumping leftover '05 Crossfires for $25,000. Why not wait til then and if, for some reason, you decide that a Solstice isn't right for you, pick up an '05 Crossfire?

·
Premium Member
10,409 Posts
If you want a convertible you have to get a 2005, they did not make roadsters in 2004.
KBB list a 2005 roadsters use with less than a 1000 miles for a trading value of 25K.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts