Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Poor Rob... LOL...

One of the perks of belonging to this "watch of the month" club is that we can trade with other members. I have traded for a very popular brand with this group called Out Of Order or OOO. They are meant to look old and worn. And I just traded my only Deep Blue for this (time to order another Deep Blue) :

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I started out with a couple of Tag Heuer watches, then graduated to a Stainless/Black Submariner, and then finally to a Stainless/Platinum Yachtmaster. Around the time of The Great Recession, I kind of felt like it became a bit socially inappropriate to wear an expensive watch, and eventually sold my Yachtmaster.

With the economy back rolling, I've toyed around a bit with the idea of replacing my Yachtmaster or maybe getting a Stainless/Black GMT II, but just haven't fully justified the expense to myself.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I started out with a couple of Tag Heuer watches, then graduated to a Stainless/Black Submariner, and then finally to a Stainless/Platinum Yachtmaster. Around the time of The Great Recession, I kind of felt like it became a bit socially inappropriate to wear an expensive watch, and eventually sold my Yachtmaster.

With the economy back rolling, I've toyed around a bit with the idea of replacing my Yachtmaster or maybe getting a Stainless/Black GMT II, but just haven't fully justified the expense to myself.
Sounds like you would like what's called a "Centum" level in this watch club. It's $1000 and has a waiting list, but you get a watch guaranteed to be $1800-$3500. I'm in the $300/mth and these watches are guaranteed to be $300-$1200. So far they've all been right around $500. Last Centum was either a Terra Cielo Mare or a Maurice Lacroix. The Maurice was incredible! I wasn't a big fan of the TCM.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
RTE...my latest edition. I'm not a big fan of it...I don't like nylon bands.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
RTE...my latest edition. I'm not a big fan of it...I don't like nylon bands.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Glad I found this thread as I do enjoy watches. I'm a one watch guy. Currently that watch is a frederique constant fc303c5b4. Once I have the means, it will be an A. Lange & Sohne Saxonia Thin 37mm in rose gold. To me, the perfect watch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is what I got myself for Xmas. I bought both the strap and bracelet, but ended up really preferring the look with the strap.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Watches are about the only real "guy jewelry" so yeah, it's easy to find you have more than you need. My first "good" watch was a self winding Seiko in 1974, since then I've gotten 3 more Seikos, I guess averaging a new one every 15 years isn't a mental illness. :)
I had a mid level Rolex President worth around $3k and I found it didn't bring the joy the commercials said it would, and the battery-operated winder/rocker thingy never noticed the difference when I gave it my thyristor-based Seiko Aviator so I traded it (the Rolex) for a "$5k" engagement ring almost 8 years ago. Win-win, other than we all know watch & Jewelry prices are based on moon phases and thrown darts. I think daddy needs one of the new "atomic clock" ones.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Wearing today: (one in the middle)

Ironic thing is that today, owning a nice wristwatch is kind of like driving a beautifully designed car that no one notices. No one cares about, and no one notices watches and pens (another thing I collect) so it has to be a solitary hobby (except for threads like this where we can be watch nerds together.)

I'm good with that as my enjoyment is mostly from ownership, not having others admire things, but for the 'look at my Viper' types, it can be a bit of a come down. Glad some on this site take an interest in this 'old' stuff.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts