Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 06 NA back in February this year with 44k miles on it. I later discovered the rearend clunk, 2 check engine problems, sagging top and leaking trunk. Per the contract and Carfax, the car had 50,000 miles when I bought it but I'm only at about 47,000. I've been told that if I try and trade it in or take it for service they will report the mileage which will raise a red flag due the mileage discrepancy. is this something I can force the dealership to take care of or perhaps take the car back? just curious.

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
if you like the car and want to keep it, then it should not be an issue.

If you are looking into seeing if you can force the dealer to redress the issues due to inaccuracies in the documentation or potentially even fraud, its difficult to make the case that they were trying to defraud you by listing the mileage higher than the actual mileage. That would seem to be contraindicated.

The mileage is maintained in the ECM. I would check to verify that the current ECM is the as built unit and that it has not been tampered with. Have the dealer pull the data and verify it with the GM data base. The only way the mileage in the ECM could be tampered with is by an individual with the proper tools and skills, or by swapping the ECM out. I am not sure where the VIN is hard coded for the chassis but you could verify that the ECM VIN matches the bar code just for grins.

If you do force the dealer to take the car back, he is I believe within his rights to charge you for the use of the car you enjoyed.

If you are seriously looking to find out your rights, talk with a lawyer who knows the local system is the best advice I can give you.

Better than that is consider a V8 swap!:devil:

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Nobody can force CarFax to do anything. They won’t change anything. Like it was said, about the only thing to do is take a 3000 mile roadtrip before you take it to the dealer for service. I can tell you what happened. The dealer took it in on trade and was too lazy to walk out and get the exact mileage off of it. So they asked the customer and he said around 50k. They put that on their paper work and that’s what was reported to carfax. I’ve worked in the dealership setting for 15+ years….I know how things work….

I had a buddy that was told the 300 SRT8 he bought was accident free at the dealership. He saw the carfax when he bought it, nothing reported. He did not however get a legitmate copy, just a quick pic off his cell phone. He ran another carfax when he decided to sell it and found out there was over $6000 in damage that was on the carfax. Basically what happened was the car came in from an accident, the person traded it in while it was in the body shop. They called my buddy and said they had this awesome car. He bought it, all before any of it hit carfax. So now he’s stuck with an SRT8 that had a major accident. He IS NOT happy!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Did you read the contract when you bought your car? C'mon, if the mileage listed was incorrect you should have pointed it out and had it corrected prior to signing (if you thought it was really an issue).

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, at first I was going to trade it in but I'm so far upside down it's cheaper to keep it for a while. I just don't want that red flag on there and have a dealership or individual try and use that against me later on down the line. the dealership we got it from has a shop that they bring stuff to and if I bring this up, they might cut me a deal and do the work and not report it to keep out of trouble.

I looked thru all my stuff and did not find a disclosure agreement for the mileage. They also have the color listed as agressive but the car is gray. My son bought this in his name for me since the car he drives is in mine and he failed to look at anything.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Sorry....but when you sign the RD108 (application for title) the mileage is right there....

·
Premium Member
3,858 Posts
Carfax is a joke! I traded my Miata in last year on a van it was a 3 owner car when I bought it I had all documentation from the previous owner .Just for the hell of it I did a car fax check and the dealer showed it as a 2 owner car I was the 4th owner.I was looking at a wrecked Z06 corvette a couple of tears ago that a friend of mine who is a Progressive Insurance authorized body shop told me about . A local dealer in Maple Hts Ohio had the car and was fixing it up to sell granted it was not totaled but it did have some serious damage ran a car fax and it showed no damage at all I bought a Crown Victoria that was a Federal Marshalls car and there is no records on this because it was a government vehicle.Yes it good for maintence issues but I wonder now how accurate this stuff is .

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just an update, I mentioned this to the finance guy that did the paperwork on the GXP and he said that I should avoid getting any service until after 50k miles and that if I took it somewhere and it did get recorded it would faise red flags and could impact someone getting a loan for it. even if the difference isn't much it still looks bad at a glance. we are going to keep it and hopefully I'll have over 50k by the time it needs to be inspected. I got till February so I should be OK.

·
Registered
350 Posts
good excuse for a road trip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts