Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had a phone call last week from a former Solstice owner. He has a GM rack for sale, new still in the box. PM me and I will give you his contact info. It is chrome and I don't know what he is asking. We live on Vancouver Island.

Cheers, Don

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
I did not think the GM luggage rack came in Chrome.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
They came in gloss black and gloss silver (chrome plated plastic)

They require drilling 4 holes in the trunk lid and mount through the structure supporting the trunk lid. They sit on a ~ 1/2 inch thick foam pad that transfers the load of the rack and its contents to the trunk lid.

The silver has the appearance of chrome, depending on how close it is to factory new condition.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The person you recommended me is trying to rob me my identity. There are no pictures of the item. He does not accept Paypal or any other safe electronic options. He does not want to use the USPS COD process. All He wants is my bank account, telephone and address. Who are you??? Are You the person trying to rob my identity.

I had a phone call last week from a former Solstice owner. He has a GM rack for sale, new still in the box. PM me and I will give you his contact info. It is chrome and I don't know what he is asking. We live on Vancouver Island.

Cheers, Don

·
Registered
363 Posts
The person you recommended me is trying to rob me my identity. There are no pictures of the item. He does not accept Paypal or any other safe electronic options. He does not want to use the USPS COD process. All He wants is my bank account, telephone and address. Who are you??? Are You the person trying to rob my identity.
Yes that is highly suspicious. If someone won't take PayPal and doesn't have an established track record of customer service, I wouldn't give them a credit card even. But a bank account? No, that is a fraud attempt imo.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
They came in gloss black and gloss silver (chrome plated plastic)

They require drilling 4 holes in the trunk lid and mount through the structure supporting the trunk lid. They sit on a ~ 1/2 inch thick foam pad that transfers the load of the rack and its contents to the trunk lid.

The silver has the appearance of chrome, depending on how close it is to factory new condition.
I thought maybe the rack was the same silver paint that the wheels and windshield surround are painted. Is this not the case?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I thought maybe the rack was the same silver paint that the wheels and windshield surround are painted. Is this not the case?
No.

The factory optinal rack is cast plastic that is coated in a shiny plastic outer layer. It comes in shiny black or shiny "chrome". It is closer to the chrome wheels and door handles. Nothing like the frame / windshield silver.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If your looking to buy one just because you like the looks and appearance of it ok but if your looking to get it just for functionality wise then I'd strongly recommend getting a hitch put on instead. then buy a luggage rack that slides into your receiver I got one on mine. heres the pros and cons in my humble opinion.
1. you can take the rack off easily
2. you can carry a WHOLE lot more, like 4 good size suit cases
3. 200 lbs Load capacity
4. my opinion the most import and It keeps the everything your carrying behind the car and so it dosent impede on your already horrific field of view. (safety)
5. the hitch is multiversital, can be used for many other applications
6. Made out of tough durable steel.

·
Registered
643 Posts
If your looking to buy one just because you like the looks and appearance of it ok but if your looking to get it just for functionality wise then I'd strongly recommend getting a hitch put on instead. then buy a luggage rack that slides into your receiver I got one on mine. heres the pros and cons in my humble opinion.
1. you can take the rack off easily
2. you can carry a WHOLE lot more, like 4 good size suit cases
3. 200 lbs Load capacity
4. my opinion the most import and It keeps the everything your carrying behind the car and so it dosent impede on your already horrific field of view. (safety)
5. the hitch is multiversital, can be used for many other applications
6. Made out of tough durable steel.
Do you have a pic of the hitch receiver on the car without the cargo rack installed.
I was thinking a silver painted rack would have looked good on the car, but not plastic chrome.

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
Do you have a pic of the hitch receiver on the car without the cargo rack installed.
I was thinking a silver painted rack would have looked good on the car, but not plastic chrome.
If you are concerned about the looks of the GM luggage rack and it's quality, don't be. It is one of the best mods I have done. Whenever people see it at "Sol Meets" I always get lots of questions and compliments. Two people within our Ontario club have ended up getting it after seeing it on my car and more are thinking about it. It also works great to hold one bag. Look up some of my old threads on it and you will see it with the bag I made from a motorcycle tail bag.

I am able to fit everything I need for me for a 5 day trip and give the rest of the storage space in the trunk and behind the seats to my wife.:devil:

Bottom line...if you want looks and the ability to carry one good size bag then this is the way. If you are looking to carry more then look at other options.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry I tried posting pics on here but can't figure it out I'm a car guy not a computer guy. Sorry but if you pm me you phone number I can send them that way your call. But Northern Sol is correct you can fit one good size bag up there and they do look good when no luggage is on it but it still take away vision when loaded. Its like driving a cargo van only with side mirrors 1/3 the size.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.