Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would love to go back to the stock exhaust. Bought the car with the solo exhaust. Like the sound but drones a little too much for me. Trade for a stock exhaust, or willing to purchase one. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for slow response! Yes, I am in Maine. Just got car out of storage this weekend and crawled underneath it. Discovered what the previous owner said was a Solo exhaust is actually a Flowmaster muffler and tips. So, I do not have a Solo exhaust to trade and looking to buy a stock GXP muffler and tips.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Well, I have a stock GXP cat back to tips.just pulled it a couple weekends ago at 21,000 miles.
I had to cut the pipe just south of the flex joint in order to be able to put it in my attic.
Bad news is we are geographically undesirably opposite from each other as I am here in LA.
Even if I trimmed the pipe closer to the muffler to make it smaller for shipping I gotta imagine it may not be worth it to ya...?
PM me if you don’t find somebody closer.
PS> I saw a used one in EBay asking around $200-ish?

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Never mind on the eBay one. I just checked and it looks pretty rough.. that one looks like it would need new chrome tips and they are asking $270 and ships from Mississippi... still half way closer than I am.
The stock muffler on the GXP is huge (considering the size of the car). I mean it’s like two pony kegs stacked sideways big. And damn near as heavy.

I am far from knowledgeable here but maybe you could look into a local shop that could add an inline resonator to help quiet it down a bit?
Probably cost less than the shipping alone on this muffler... just a thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HH Gadget, I found one fairly close by in NH, but he is asking $500 for it. Not sure I want to pay that much for it when I could get a new Solo exhaust for $650. That may solve the "droning" problem. Good idea on the resonator-will look into that. How much would you want for yours shipped?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
a resonator in the middle did not solve the droning problem from the Magnaflow system on my coupe. i remember once-upon-a-time someone on the forum said they put resonator tips on the exhaust (don't know what brand of exhaust or resonators) but supposedly it solved the drone problem.

Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great info-Thanks. Wonder if the Solo exhaust has the drone problem? Will do some research on tips as well. What did you end up doing, or do you still have the magnaflow system and are living with it?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Great info-Thanks. Wonder if the Solo exhaust has the drone problem? Will do some research on tips as well. What did you end up doing, or do you still have the magnaflow system and are living with it?
personally, "I" don't like the sound of the Solo exhaust, but that's just me....

coupes, by the very nature of their design, are susceptible to drone (think drum...). the single 2.4 NA exhaust did not have this problem, BUT i wanted the cool look of the dual outlook exhaust and no GXP exhaust was reasonably available for the same reasons as mentioned above and the Magnaflow matched that look perfectly. Magnaflow only listed it for the convertible, but i figures the coupe and the convertible are the same body so it would fit (and it did). BUT there is/was a drone that would probably not be noticeable on a convertible. so i tried a Moroso spiral resonator in the middle, but that didn't help (again, think drum); so now i live with it.

we had a big discussion as to whether the GXP exhaust would have a drone on a 2.4 coupe (the turbo on the GXP would surely modify the exhaust frequency) and we noticed a 'lump' in-line in the GXP exhaust which resembles a resonator but no one cut one open so we don't know if or what was inside

the 1st picture is the single exhaust (without the lower fascia), the 2nd is the dual exhaust, the 3rd is what i believe to be a Solo Shorty, and the 4th is the parts breakdown of the Magnaflow exhaust

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info and great pictures! Want to go back to stock as they say their is no power difference. Will keep looking...

·
Registered
235 Posts
a resonator in the middle did not solve the droning problem from the Magnaflow system on my coupe. i remember once-upon-a-time someone on the forum said they put resonator tips on the exhaust (don't know what brand of exhaust or resonators) but supposedly it solved the drone problem.

Bill View attachment 111966 View attachment 111967
That looks like a 4" round x13" long canister. That is bit too small of a chamber to diffuse your exhaust noise. Resonator placement is important. Generally the primary resonator would be right under or aft of the driver's seat. This ensures the unwanted frequencies are taken cared off earlier. I'd suggest Vibrant UQ series or browse Solo's many spiral chambered resonators.
I think 3" pipe is sub-optimal for a 2.4NA. Your exhaust gas will be travelling at a lower velocity due to the large pipe.
Note that a stock GXP is equipped with 2.5" exhaust which is considered not a power robbing unit. I think the stock muffler is restrictive however.

·
Registered
235 Posts
we had a big discussion as to whether the GXP exhaust would have a drone on a 2.4 coupe (the turbo on the GXP would surely modify the exhaust frequency) and we noticed a 'lump' in-line in the GXP exhaust which resembles a resonator but no one cut one open so we don't know if or what was inside
I too thought it might be some form of resonator too. But the size is too small for an effective one if it is. While I didn't cut my GXP exhaust up, I did run a borescope in to check out that 'lump' recently. It's just a boring connector chamber. There's no perforations found typically in a resonator. Maybe a pipe strengthening device or something to slow down the exhaust velocity? No idea. Was a bit anti-climactic. :(

I haven't really decided on selling my stock GXP exhaust yet. Might want to keep it if I do sell my car one day. Good luck in finding the right exhaust for your 2.4NA.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
That looks like a 4" round x13" long canister. That is bit too small of a chamber to diffuse your exhaust noise. Resonator placement is important. Generally the primary resonator would be right under or aft of the driver's seat. This ensures the unwanted frequencies are taken cared off earlier. I'd suggest Vibrant UQ series or browse Solo's many spiral chambered resonators.
I think 3" pipe is sub-optimal for a 2.4NA. Your exhaust gas will be travelling at a lower velocity due to the large pipe.
Note that a stock GXP is equipped with 2.5" exhaust which is considered not a power robbing unit. I think the stock muffler is restrictive however.
the 'canister' is a Moroso spiral wound resonator supposedly to be used in racing applications where too much 'noise' is not allowed, and is placed midways in the car.

Spiral Flow Racing Muffler; 3.0 in. Inlet/Outlet; 4 in. Dia. x Installed Length 12 in.; • Reduced noise levels with minimal backpressure• These mufflers offer a 5 - 7 db drop over open collectors and the mufflers flow 850 C.F.M

Bill

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,457 Posts
to get rid of droning cut the tops off and add some pipe and then weld the tips back on. get the tips out past the rear fascia. This is a Magnaflow exhaust, you see how far the tips stick past the rear fascia.. that's what you need to do.

The drone sound is caused by the sound getting underneath your car and it ends up echoing into the passenger cabin. By making sure the tips extend past the rear fascia far enough the drone will go away. Cars you see that have performance exhausts and the tips are even with the back fascia is because the tip is 100% surrounded by the fascia. You can do that with that style of fascia and end up with minimal drone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kgschlosser, I will try that! Thanks for the picture illustrating the concept as my car is that exact color so will look the same. Thanks for the advice-enjoy reading your posts on this forum.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
no worries m8

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
to get rid of droning cut the tops off and add some pipe and then weld the tips back on. get the tips out past the rear fascia. This is a Magnaflow exhaust, you see how far the tips stick past the rear fascia.. that's what you need to do.

View attachment 112000

The drone sound is caused by the sound getting underneath your car and it ends up echoing into the passenger cabin. By making sure the tips extend past the rear fascia far enough the drone will go away. Cars you see that have performance exhausts and the tips are even with the back fascia is because the tip is 100% surrounded by the fascia. You can do that with that style of fascia and end up with minimal drone.
the first picture is the projection of the OEM single exhaust tip for a 2.4 NA, no drone... the second picture is the projection of the Magnaflow dual exhaust tip, drone... projection seems to be a bit more for the Magnaflow but not as much as car above.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
It's only about an inch and a half more at most.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts