Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a local dealer that has guaranteed me the first Solstice that they get and will custom order it to my specs as soon as the ordering opens up...I want the dark blue with the two tone leather and told him that I want all the options.

I got to thinking about the XM radio though and am not sure I want it. There are a lot of times I really wish my Envoy and C5 Vette had it, but after seeing the antenna on the new C6 Vette I don't think I should get it on the Solstice. Has there been any indication of where the antenna would go or what it would look like? The Vette has it it on the middle of the decklid on the convertible...looks like a dorsal fin.

As it stands right now I think I am going to pass on the XM...just was wondering what everyone else thought?

By the way, the guy at the dealership that orders the vehicles asked me where I get all this info on the Solstice...he said I know more than he does. At least he's honest! :cool:

·
Premium Member
10,412 Posts
C5Vette said:
I have a local dealer that has guaranteed me the first Solstice that they get and will custom order it to my specs as soon as the ordering opens up...I want the dark blue with the two tone leather and told him that I want all the options.

I got to thinking about the XM radio though and am not sure I want it. There are a lot of times I really wish my Envoy and C5 Vette had it, but after seeing the antenna on the new C6 Vette I don't think I should get it on the Solstice. Has there been any indication of where the antenna would go or what it would look like? The Vette has it it on the middle of the decklid on the convertible...looks like a dorsal fin.

As it stands right now I think I am going to pass on the XM...just was wondering what everyone else thought?

By the way, the guy at the dealership that orders the vehicles asked me where I get all this info on the Solstice...he said I know more than he does. At least he's honest! :cool:
It looks the same on the Sol, right square in the middle of the trunk, looks awful, I do not know why GM can not put the antenna inside the car, maybe by the winshield.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
My biggest problem with factory XM is that you are stuck listening to it in the car. With a Skyfi (or SkiFi2, or whatever) you can take the receiver where you want, and hook it into whatever you want with the right kit. Home stereo, car, etc. However, if your paying for service in a factory radio, there is no portable receiver so you cannot listen to the satelite radio anywhere but in the car. Just something to think about if you are interested in XM.

PS, I heard XM will soon be raising their rates to $12.95/mo.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
It'll probably be very easy to make some sort of cover to go over the antena module to make it blend in with the car's body.

If you can, try to get a copyof the order form and prices to post here. :D

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I'm going with the WiFi handheld thingie. I like the idea of being able to move it around and not be tied to a car with antennas.

·
Registered
58 Posts
mceb said:
I'm going with the WiFi handheld thingie. I like the idea of being able to move it around and not be tied to a car with antennas.
That is exactly what i'm gonna do... :agree: I love XM radio...just not exclusively...The hand held is awsome and goes anywhere.

·
Premium Member
10,412 Posts
NO FACTORY installed XM for me, it ruins the lines of the car, PERIOD.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, get the satellite xm if you want. The question is can you get the Solstice without the factory installed receiver?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
hoffman said:
Yes, get the satellite xm if you want. The question is can you get the Solstice without the factory installed receiver?
Yes XM is completely optional. Onstar is what you get even if you don't like it.

·
Premium Member
10,412 Posts
mceb said:
Yes XM is completely optional. Onstar is what you get even if you don't like it.
MCEB, that may no longer be the case, I visited a large South Florida dealer yesterday and he had a sheet where the On Star was an option, I mentioned to him that we heard different and his reply was, well you are seen what I got from Pontiac, go figure, I do not know what to believe any more.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
LatinVenom said:
MCEB, that may no longer be the case, I visited a large South Florida dealer yesterday and he had a sheet where the On Star was an option, I mentioned to him that we heard different and his reply was, well you are seen what I got from Pontiac, go figure, I do not know what to believe any more.
GM had that big promotion where OnStar is in all cars standard I thought?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
mceb said:
GM had that big promotion where OnStar is in all cars standard I thought?
I just went and rechecked it, the official information now says;
By the end of 2007, OnStar, which includes one year of service, will become standard on all new trucks and cars sold in the United States and Canada.
So technically that means the Solstice and Sky might not have it as a standard option till then.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I was checking up on XM service again, and apparently you can add a second receiver to an account for a reduced rate of $6.95 a month. So if you wanted it in the car, and later wanted a portable receiver, it at least wouldn't cost you double in subscription costs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts