Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer accidently ordered XM as one of my options (which means I have a fully loaded Solstice except for smokers pkg). Anyway, do you like it? Is it worth the extra $325 plus monthly fee? Any and all comments welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I really like it, I make sure I get it in every rental car when I am in the States. You will not be sorry to have it . . . of course you should make the dealer pay for 6 to 12 months of service for you as an apology.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Most definately worth it in my opinion. I have sirius in my current car. I ordered XM on the Solstice. Once you go to 100+ commerical free music channels plus additional 40+ channels for sports, news, comedy, weather, etc. You will never go back. Haven't listend to AM/FM in over 2 years now. I'm anxious to see the difference between Sirius and XM.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This will be the best investment, other than the car itself. You will love it. Like it was said before, I would get the dealer to pay for the monthly fee for several months, afterall it was his mistake.

·
Registered
278 Posts
on thing i hate about am/fm is living in a valley i get alot of static, and usualy when a good song is on. do you still get that with xm?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Xm.....yes!.......

tednelson83 said:
on thing i hate about am/fm is living in a valley i get alot of static, and usualy when a good song is on. do you still get that with xm?
No Static with XM. I have it in my Audi A4 Convertible. I wouldn't trade my XM for anything. Music, Sports, Comedy, Etc. (at your finger tips). Solstice with XM is a great deal! :yesnod:

·
Registered
383 Posts
tednelson83 said:
I live in the Mountains of Maryland and we have poor reception of stations on AM/FM and XM. I moved from Florida where we never had an interruption (except waiting in line at the bank) but up here..if we are between moutains or next the side of one..it definitely goes out. That said...it is well worth the investment. I am a sports nut and can listen to any baseball game or nascar race I want. Also we love the 80's and 90's stations...and even with the interruptions I would recommend it. I did not order it though because I have a portable system that cost me $59 and I can transfer from my wrangler to the Solstice whenever I want to. If you suscribe and pay for two years ahead of time they give you a break on the cost and if you decide to add a second unit it is only $6.95 a month. Otherwise, the inital cost is $11.95 a month I think...been a while since I got mine. Good luck!

·
5,641 Posts
Sol Deep said:
My dealer accidently ordered XM as one of my options (which means I have a fully loaded Solstice except for smokers pkg). Anyway, do you like it? Is it worth the extra $325 plus monthly fee? Any and all comments welcome. Thanks.

The nice part about it is that you will have a three month free trial to see how you like the service before you have to subscribe.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I like Sirius better!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
ESERIES3 said:
I like Sirius better!
:agree: :agree: :agree:

But I opted out because of
A. my iPod
B. the dimple on the decklid

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have XM in regular daily driver, it works great. I'm very happy with it. There's all manner of music, sports, and news channels to choose from. Plus you can literally drive across the country and never have to change a channel if you don't want to. It's not CD sound quality, but I think you should try it out and see if you like it.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have to admit that my only experiance with XM was with a rental a few weeks ago (4 days).

I absolutely hated it :cuss:

Admittedly, my musical tastes are somewhat narrow - but the only thing worse than having one station that plays crap you don't like - is having 100 stations that play crap you don't like :brentil:

The older I get, I tend to spend a lot of time listening to talk-radio (metro Detroit is blessed with two 24-hr sports-talk stations). The talk stations on XM were either jam-packed with commercials (FOX, CNN, MSN) of just plain sucked.

If you take a lot of short trips, around town - I just don't see XM as a big benefit. But as much as I didn't care for it - if I were still traveling a couple hundred miles a day across the barren wastelands of Ohio, I'd probably get it :lol:

Maybe the rental didn't have a 'full' subscription?

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Sol Deep said:
I thought about getting it myself. They just raised the price from $9.95 to 12.95/per month. Not that that was a big deal but I have Sirius on my Dish and like it slightly better. I was also concerned where they might put the antenna. Does anybody know where it is mounted?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
PubliusE said:
I thought about getting it myself. They just raised the price from $9.95 to 12.95/per month. Not that that was a big deal but I have Sirius on my Dish and like it slightly better. I was also concerned where they might put the antenna. Does anybody know where it is mounted?
It is smack dab in the middle of the rear deck lid, like a giant pimple! If you look through the gallery photos, you'll probably see it in some of the pictures. Definitely unattractive!

Edit: In fact, here is one that I pulled out of the gallery, from the Oregan press event.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
dengel said:
It is smack dab in the middle of the rear deck lid, like a giant pimple! If you look through the gallery photos, you'll probably see it in some of the pictures. Definitely unattractive!

Edit: In fact, here is one that I pulled out of the gallery, from the Oregan press event.
Just got XM in my wife's new Bonneville GXP. It is absolutely great! I did not however, order it for the Sol primarily because of the antenna mounting location. I plan to purchase a portable unit that I will install in my Sol.

:cool:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've been an XM subscriber for a year now and use a Roady 2 clip on unit. Yeah, the wires are a distraction, but I think the technology will become obsolete during my term of ownership. I tend to keep my cars 15 years or more...and this one I want to keep as original as possible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
XM & Monsoon?

Sol Deep said:
My dealer said I couldn't get the monsoon system w/o XM ... is that true?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the feedback

Thanks, everyone. I purposely didn't opt for it because I ordered the 6-CD changer which would give me more than enough music, and the antenna on the deck lid doesn't look so hot. But, as SD said, I get a 3-month trial so who knows, maybe I'll like it. (If I ever found out that the installation of XM held up my delivery, that's another story :brentil: ).

·
Registered
350 Posts
studentpastr said:
My dealer said I couldn't get the monsoon system w/o XM ... is that true?
NO, but you do have to atleast upgrade from the base radio to the MP3/single CD.

From the dealer world website
UQ3 Sound system feature, Monsoon premium speaker system, includes amplified 7-speaker audio system, 2 6-inch door speakers, 2 1-inch A-pillar tweeters, 2 3.5-inch rear speakers and 1 subwoofer
1 - Not available with (U1C) Sound system, ETR AM/FM stereo with CD player. A1

Check it out at:
http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2006&regionID=1&divisionID=7&type=0&vehicleID=2053&section=oi_def&page=3&butID=3

1 - 20 of 27 Posts