Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the pictures of TurpFan's new Solstice, I suppose it's time to try and decode the VIN number. His is black with a black interior (is it leather?) From the picture, his VIN starts 1G2MB33B56Y000***. Anyone care to guess, knowing a lot of you already have numbers to compare it with, how these numbers break down? Is a VIN code description for 2006 already on the internet?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Do a search, someone posted it not too long ago. ...I think it was Small Dealer.

1G I think designates the Pontiac division, 2MB is the model code (Solstice), some of the other stuff signifies that it's a convertible, something else says what plant it was built at, and I think maybe there's a discernation for LSD and/or ABS?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
dori-san said:
and I think maybe there's a discernation for LSD and/or ABS?
Not in the VIN. A VIN can identify difference between optional engines, but that is the extent. Model year and country of origin is also in the VIN.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Original post by Craigar...
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=58952&postcount=24

I'll copy it forward here because I had trouble finding it.

Here is the vin decoded....

DIGIT DESCRIPTION MEANING
--------------------------------------------------
1 Country of Origin UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
G Manufacturer PONT GENERAL MOTORS
2 Division PONTIAC
MB Line SOLSTICE
3 Body Style 2 DR CONVERTIBLE
3 Restraint System MAN.BLT W/DR-PS INF.RES.FT&SD&ROOF
B Engine 2.4L 4CYL MFI,DOHC,HO.ECOTEC
7 Check Digit
6 Year 2006
Y Plant WILMINGTON, DE

000000 Last 6 is Serial Number

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check Digit?

Anyone know what the "check digit" is? Aside from the serial number it is the only digit that varies.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
dsg47 said:
Anyone know what the "check digit" is? Aside from the serial number it is the only digit that varies.
The check digit, as it's name implies, 'checks' the VIN to be accurate. Although the formula is well known, so I'm not sure of the actual validity of it. Think of a MD5 checksum for files on a computer, same sort of deal here. Let me assign 001 to the VIN that was posted here, it would be:

1G2MB33B?6Y000001

The check digit is the 9th digit (? in example above). You need to assign a numerical value to any letter (there is a table in a ISO standard), use the VIN # position (1st number, or 5th number, etc.) weight factor (again assigned in an ISO standard). You then multiply the numerical value times the weight factor. You sum up all of those products, and divide that total by the number 11. The "remainder" (remember division everyone?) is the check digit. If the check digit remainder is 10, then you use an 'X' for the 9th spot in the VIN.

So....

Vin: 1 G 2 M B 3 3 B ? 6 Y 0 0 0 0 0 1
Value of Vin digit: 1 7 2 4 2 3 3 2 ? 6 8 0 0 0 0 0 1
Weight factor: 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 10 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2
Product: 8 49 12 20 8 9 6 20 0 54 64 0 0 0 0 0 2

(I tried many ways to get this text to all line up, but nothing worked. Not even the *code* tag, sorry if it's hard to read)

Sum of products: 252
Divided by 11: 252 / 11 = 10 as remainder. Therefore the 9th digit is 'X'

Vin should read: 1G2MB33BX6Y000001

·
Registered
110 Posts
rlhammon said:
The check digit, as it's name implies, 'checks' the VIN to be accurate. Although the formula is well known, so I'm not sure of the actual validity of it. Think of a MD5 checksum for files on a computer, same sort of deal here. Let me assign 001 to the VIN that was posted here, it would be:

1G2MB33B?6Y000001

The check digit is the 9th digit (? in example above). You need to assign a numerical value to any letter (there is a table in a ISO standard), use the VIN # position (1st number, or 5th number, etc.) weight factor (again assigned in an ISO standard). You then multiply the numerical value times the weight factor. You sum up all of those products, and divide that total by the number 11. The "remainder" (remember division everyone?) is the check digit. If the check digit remainder is 10, then you use an 'X' for the 9th spot in the VIN.

So....

(I tried many ways to get this text to all line up, but nothing worked. Not even the *code* tag, sorry if it's hard to read)

Corectomundo, didn't go through your math but thats the idea. As an Auto Insurace Software Developer, I used this formula to tell if a VIN is a valid vin, It does not work for VIN;s before a certain date but after it became law.

You must be in the Auto (probably insurance).

Rhey also have "check didgits" in bank account numbers and other applications as a security check.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Karen1506 said:
Corectomundo, didn't go through your math but thats the idea. As an Auto Insurace Software Developer, I used this formula to tell if a VIN is a valid vin, It does not work for VIN;s before a certain date but after it became law.

You must be in the Auto (probably insurance).

Rhey also have "check didgits" in bank account numbers and other applications as a security check.
I didn't check my math either... but hoping I was correct! The idea is there, and I know the letters were coverted to numbers using the table (I have memorized the table).

I'm not in the insurance industry, but was a Tier 1 supplier to all of the major OEM's world wide (Bentley down to Kia's). I became very familar with VIN numbers and the ISO standard which dictates all of this kind of stuff. It tends to scare the dealers though, as I can look at the VIN and tell them some information about the car that they don't even know. Most dealers have no clue how the VIN is coded or even that it was coded in any way.

I knew bank accounts had the same thing, and I'm fairly sure most states do as well on their drivers license as some friend and I figured out how to generate correct drivers licence numbers for any name in the state of Michigan when we were in college. Of course we were all of legal age before we did anything with it. ;)

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
rlhammon said:

1G2MB33B?6Y000001

So....

OK. I am a chemistry professor, right? This means I care more about numbers and formulas than is good for me, right? So, when my dealer gave me my VIN today, and I somehow dropped a digit, I panicked, right? :willy: :willy: So....

I hit the forum and found this thread. I ran up a quick excel speadsheet and generated the lost number. (Haven't yet gone to find the ISO letter<==> number table, but you know I will, right?)

Any other number-obsessive (anal-retentive ?) people can have this "marvel" of programming ( :glol: )if you PM me.

OK, I'm back. Here's a good page showing the Numeric equivalents to the Letters and an example (just like rlhammon's!!) calculation.

http://home.planet.nl/~fransang/checkdig.html

Now, we can all sleep more easily! :glol:

--Chemist (Been at 3800 for two weeks. Need some movement toward 4200!)

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Vin#

So what is the bottom line here? Are the last six digit the numerical build number for real. Mine is 111230, have they really built that many so far? Or are the 10xxxx's built in 2005 and the 11xxxx's built in 2006.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Devoking said:
So what is the bottom line here? Are the last six digit the numerical build number for real. Mine is 111230, have they really built that many so far? Or are the 10xxxx's built in 2005 and the 11xxxx's built in 2006.
No the last five digest is the numerical build, however you have to add the 1st 1000 plus the pre build numbers about 700 and then Canada, but that number I do not know exactly what it is, maybe less than 300.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,870 Posts
........ Preproduction/test/mules: 6Y100001 thru about 6Y100750

Zero-zippers and early Canada: 6Y100751 thru 6Y101000 .........
I looked up various VIN and checked the RPO codes. Just did spot checks (so skipped many VIN) and still have to check many more. But I found cars with RPO Canada as early as 100690 and also noticed that in the Canadian range mentioned above (100751 thru 10100) there are many cars with RPO Mexico. Unfortunately I have run out of VIN checks at the moment, so I have to wait a couple of days :)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Hey RedOne07, can you tell me production number on a car option combo? I was thinking about options with some recent car talk here.

2007 is an interesting Solstice year. It was the only year where Onstar was optional (became mandatory in 2008). I'd like to know how many GXP's were produced WITHOUT Onstar but with XM/Sirius radio. My car is one of them. If you want to report the base car numbers as well, it would be interesting. I'm assuming it's a rare combo on the GXP, maybe the base car too, but I could be wrong.

Thx and cheers!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I am in a hurry so did a quick check ............

Normally RPO codes are confirming the installation of an option. RPO codes confirming a car does not have an option is very very rare. But in this case you are lucky.

8841 2007 GXP where produced (including EX-VIN)

Of these 8841 .....
  • 6809 had XM radio
  • 3669 had ONSTAR
  • 3459 had XM radio and ONSTAR
  • 0331 had no XM radio
  • 0041 had no ONSTAR
  • 0019 had no XM radio and no ONSTAR
  • 0008 had XM radio and no ONSTAR

But be aware that most Kappa are very unique when multiple options are considered. Owning a one of 100, one of 10 or even a one of 1 is very normal and not unique at all. Normally it will not bring any additional $$$$

As so very often the numbers do not add up. Normally the reason is that compnine has cars listed in various groups and that one needs to find at least 1 car in each group in order to find reliable totals. I did not try to locate more than 1 group in this case.

At first glance it seems not having ONSTAR is also the case for at least over 600 2008 GXP vehicles.
Thx RedOne07, you've been a great resource on this forum and it's much appreciated! Big kudos. I agree that rareness is not indicative of value, for me I was interested in what was likely a rare combination of two related options.

The numbers are very interesting and helpful. In crunching them I have a few questions. Can you or anyone help me understand a little more (no rush)?

If I see 3669 with Onstar and 3459 with Onstar and XM, does that not mean that 210 have Onstar with no XM? If it does, that number does not correlate well with the later reported 8 number for yes with XM and no with Onstar. What am I missing here?

If it was a typo being 3659 and not 3459 (with XM and Onstar) that would be a difference of 10 from the 3669 Onstar number, which correlates much better to the 8 reported number for Yes with XM and no with Onstar.

OTOH, one can find similar questions with the other reported numbers. For example if 6809 had XM radio, should 8841-6809=2032 not have XM radio (the list reports 331)? If 3669 had Onstar should 8841-3669=5172 not have Onstar (the list reports 41)?

It's as if some of the nested search results are inaccurate. Or I could be missing something simple. Any thoughts or feedback?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
One should be very very careful drawing conclusion from absence of information.
Understandable. It's not a perfect database. At this point which number for no XM radio and no Onstar would you trust most? (it appears to me that number crunching is happening across all reported configurations). My first thought is to go with the higher number versus the lower number. So 210 instead of 8. To do that I'm trusting the first three listed configurations more than the last four listed configurations. Thoughts? Thx

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
According to the presented numbers:

- 210 is not correct.
- 8 is correct.

Next step I would make in your case is trying to find out why the totals do not match.
Interesting discussion... if the 8 is correct, then the 2007 Solstice GXP I sold last month is one of those 8, and we've located 25% of that population.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts