Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had no idea how addicting this car and forum is. 2 weeks ago I left a stupid message on how I gave up on the Sol for a 350z but Im back on this bandwagon. I missed the convo and I cant get this car out of my mind. Im back and its gonna be worth the wait. I wish I never left, hope you guys take me back :lol: Ill never sell out again!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
who are you, again? ;)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
anticd70 said:
I had no idea how addicting this car and forum is. 2 weeks ago I left a stupid message on how I gave up on the Sol for a 350z but Im back on this bandwagon. I missed the convo and I cant get this car out of my mind. Im back and its gonna be worth the wait. I wish I never left, hope you guys take me back :lol: Ill never sell out again!
Hey, I see it like the parable in the Bible of the prodigal son. He was welcomed back with open arms and given a party. So...
:party:

Why did you change your mind about the 350z?

·
4,592 Posts
Welcome home! I did a similar thing recently due to a job change and lack of desire, but then the job came back online, and we saw a black Solstice, it won us over (although ours will be red). Now, if the darn turbo edition would come online :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
John....hit the solstice chat room.....

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
Good one, Editguy!

Trying to think of some expression that had "but ye knew me not." What was that from?

Anyway, welcome back, dude. Like Edit said, :party: I'll drink to that. Heck, I'll drink to anything. Nobody at my previous job knew I was an alcoholic, until I came to work one day sober. :)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...the bible

gizmo2004 said:
Good one, Editguy!

Trying to think of some expression that had "but ye knew me not." What was that from?
I thnk Jesus said that about rejecting starving, needy people, etc.
:cool:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just couldnt get the look of the Sol out of my mind

·
Registered
414 Posts
anticd70 said:
Welcome home-but there should be some sort of Solstice Forum punishment! :lol:

·
Registered
766 Posts
oregon solstice said:
Welcome home-but there should be some sort of Solstice Forum punishment! :lol:
Maybe we should make him take a time out in the Sol's trunk. How tall is he anyway? :devil:

·
5,600 Posts
The Solstice will be worth waiting for. The important thing is what you get, not when you get it. You experience remorse when you don't hold out for what you really want.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
5'6 on a good day

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
anticd70 said:
I just couldnt get the look of the Sol out of my mind
Enticing, isn't it? I hope to have mine by the end of the year so that I can dream about something else at night.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Zolsol said:
Maybe we should make him take a time out in the Sol's trunk. How tall is he anyway? :devil:

What trunk - we don't need no stinking trunk (least not according to GM). :rant:

Forum punishment - you will have to WAIT a really long time for your solstice. Hold on... we're doing that already :willy:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Short guys get lots of extra storage with their Solstices!

anticd70 said:
5'6 on a good day
Me too, I'm 5' 5.5"

Now, there is a really big advantage for guys our size: extra storage (a lot of it!) behind the driver's seat. I slide the seat almost all the way forward, and there's about a 8 inch area of the floor behind the seat. It holds my laptop bag and when we took our trip to Monterey (4 days 3 nights) we put a soft side tote style cooler bag on top of the Laptop bag for sodas and other refrigeration required snacks. On the wife's side, we put her computer, and a snack bag, and stowed her and my hats....

By the way, we packed for the three nights complete with sweaters and a couple of rain flys and STILL had the ability to put the top down! It was a great trip, and the seats are VERY comfortable, even for a long trip. That's saying something for me, because I always have to have good lumbar support, or I pay for it in back pain, but with the Solstice, I drove 5.5 hours up and 6 hours back without ANY problems or back pain. I can't even say that about my Saturn with the lumbar cushion!

The ride is very smooth until you jam on the brakes, snap the throttle open, pull on the wheel, and dive aggressively into asphalt forest, barking the tires as you make the first to second shift. Then when you shift back into 5th, and tap the cruise control, 80 MPH will get you about 23.5 mpg, and the engine noise is almost not there.

You'll love the car. Mine came in without polished wheels (dealer accidentally deleted option when I added floor mats), and I was very disappointed for about 3 days, then with each passing day, I just feel better and better about the purchase, and while I will order the wheels, the machine is just such a pleasure to look at, drive, sit in, and throw vigorously around the roads, that I'm no longer in such a big hurry to make it look exactly like the show car I saw in January 2005.

Edit:

In exercising the engine during the last 200 miles of the high power break-in doing laps around the Verdugo peaks (134 East to 2 North to 210 West to 118 West to 5 South back to 134 East), I did a lot of high speed running. There were some RX-8's and several modified machines. It was all fun.​

I've squared off against some stock 350's, and much past about 120, they start dropping back, as the Solstice continues to pull up to the max that I've reached, 132-3? (didn't study the speedo that closely while buzzing along at that clip ;) ) It might have gone a couple of miles an hour faster, but you start to run out of road, and the acceleration is becoming asymptotic with the top speed.

It pulls VERY well from 80 up to the 95/97 MPH red line shift from 3rd to 4th, and that shift leaves you well up in the power band at somewhere around 5000 to 5100 RPM. The Solstice will continue to climb, and will get to 105 after a bit more time, and then it starts pulling a bit faster as you cross through 110 and 115, then it starts to flatten out as you cross through 120 on your way to 125.

Somewhere around 128, I start getting a low frequency (~10-12 hz) oscillation on the right side in the form of a thunder like buffeting. I think it's the right side buttress, and it's a bit disturbing, but it doesn't get that much louder as you push up towards 132.

Of course, this takes some very clear road, but it has been very fun, and continues to impress. Especially since the Solstice is not a straight line drag car, nor is it a freeway warrior shaped like a stiletto. It's got fairly awkward aerodynamics with the flat vertical rear window, but the car just works so well for what it's designed for, you really don't notice.

Edit:

The cruise up to Monterey was very nice, and demonstrated the car's other side to it's personality, a comfortable machine for road trips. It's not church quiet inside like most luxury cars, but for me, it's as much the driving as the destination that makes a road trip fun. So just for clarity, the top speed testing was done in the days leading up to the Monterey trip, not on the trip.​

Oh, by the way, Anticd70 welcome back! An to you too, Rodeo!

·
4,592 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Lunch?

RODEO said:
You're welcome.

Hey, I'm not going to the SEMA show afterall (auto industry business owners are basically the only folks allowed to register... There's a loop hole for Car Club officers, but we're going to be a week too late! :( ) Maybe we should get together and thrash old 821 a bit on the roads north of the Basin.... At least, Saugus for lunch ;)

·
4,592 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
You're welcome.

Hey, I'm not going to the SEMA show afterall (auto industry business owners are basically the only folks allowed to register... There's a loop hole for Car Club officers, but we're going to be a week too late! :( ) Maybe we should get together and thrash old 821 a bit on the roads north of the Basin.... At least, Saugus for lunch ;)
You're not challenging a MSM to a canyon run are you???? :lol:

Would love to hook up, keep in touch..... signing off for night....But it would be good to get the competition together!! Some good pics I forsee!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts