Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have a 2,5 , 2008 Solstice.
Today i see a yellow engine light on (first light in the upper left corner).
The engine run ok and all seems ok.
What is this light??

Thank you very much!

M.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Mario - take the car to a local auto parts store that has a code scanner. They will be able to give you a number or a couple of numbers that are codes to explain why the engine light came on.

From there you can search the internet or this site and find out the possible causes of the check engine light (CEL).

·
Registered
572 Posts
Well yeah.. But I don't know whether it's just my car but it should be sticking out in a blue outline.... :brentil: Maybe they pulled some covers off while working on my underlights and took out the ODB2 port :brentil: LAST time I let ANYONE step inside my car or touch it. :brentil:

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
:huh: Um, I don't see why anyone would go through any effort whatsoever to remove an OBD2 port.

Then again, I don't understand why anyone would steal someone's rearview mirror glass.

As pointed out above, the scanner is an OBII or OBD2. It's an acronym for On Board Diagnostics and the "2" is the second version of the standard. The simplest of the scanners will simply read the code or codes stored in the car's memory as the reason for the CEL. As you move up the price scale, you can clear codes and get some descriptions of the codes and what they mean. The more expensive scanners will list the possible causes and corrections right on their displays.

I received one as a fathers day gift - about a hundred dollar version. I was skeptical at first, but it includes a USB interface and web portal. It accessed the makers website, checked my VIN number, listed all options on the car as built, all recalls and TSB (Technical Service Bulletins) issued for the year make and model. For the code I had read it also listed the most likely causes and corrections.

Just for reference, auto parts stores may not "clear" a code for you as I believe technically it is illegal for them to do so. They can, however, tell you what the code is.

Even with just the code number, you can check on the web or here on the forum and find out what's going on. It's nice to know even if you're going to have a dealer or service shop work on it.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Well, that picture shows it sticking out - and it looks like there's a blue outline too! :lol:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Everyone is a comedian today. :rofl: It never occurred to me to use paint to draw a blue circle on my picture. (OF course, that was fairly early into my first cup of coffee this morning.)

·
Registered
572 Posts
HA. I laughed so much reading every post after my previous one. But I honestly thought they pulled the OBD2 port out since I never bothered looking under the steering wheel (or anywhere besides the windows to drive, really) But mine has a blue outline (shush) and well I guess it's normal and not really pulled out - so my bad.

Tha'nks for the laughs nonetheless! :rofl:

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I'm really thinking of either getting my own scanner or the wireless adapter and soft. the youngest is getting a new laptop for Christmas and I'm gonna move the Dell netbook out in the garage. Been wanting a designated computer for the garage for a while now and looks like soon enough I'll have one.

Just go to the auto parts store and tell them your Check Engine light is on and ask them to check it. it's free and only takes a few minutes. They will then give you a print out and from there you can respond back with the code that's on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts