Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yellow/orange Solstice...Why Not Paint It?

First, I want to thank everyone here for the valuable Solstice and car info that has been made available. I have found it to be very helpful.

I am not a big auto enthusiast so please excuse my naivete, but no one has mentioned the option of having a quality vendor paint their Solstice to get the color they want. Is this unrealistic because of finishes or cost, etc.?
I assume it would not void the warrantee.

Further, can a car be ordered without a finish coat so buyer can have it painted himself later?

Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I don't think you can order a car without finish coat.

Repainting a brand new car would (I'm reasonably certain) void warranty for corrosion.

It is mostly certain that an aftermarket paint job will never be as good as the factory original (assuming it was a good process to begin with). Any "good" paint job will cost in excess of $1500. It is especially critical if you are changing a color.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Zolsol said:
...but no one has mentioned the option of having a quality vendor paint their Solstice to get the color they want. Is this unrealistic because of finishes or cost, etc.?
well, this can be done. i guess there are two ways to go about this... one is that you could have a place strip all the old paint off down the the sheet metal. then they would paint from scratch. this can be kinda pricey, so i havent heard of many people doing it this way. a second method would be to just paint over the current color. this is cheaper, however there are a few drawbacks. first, unless you put a lot of coats on, the other color may show a little through the first (you see this intentionally with candy coating). also, if your paint gets a chip or ding, it looks kinda funny having another color shining through. and finally, this adds quite a bit of weight to the car. i am not sure how much, but i bet without stripping off the old paint, you are probably adding a few pounds.

Zolsol said:
...I assume it would not void the warrantee.
a paint job won't void the warranty unless you paint something that was not originally painted by the factory.

Zolsol said:
...Further, can a car be ordered without a finish coat so buyer can have it painted himself later?
i doubt it, but it would be nice, wouldnt it!

Just wondering.[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I had a car leave me a prize in the form of a dented fender one day as I left a convenience store in my area. I decided to have my Miata repainted so I could also have various stone chips and parking lot dings repaired. I worked with the son of a friend who does auto painting for a living and still paid $1500 for the repaint. This was keeping the car in the same color. A repaint in a new color would require the interior of the car to be removed so the door jambs and thresholds could be properly painted without ruining the interior. The trunk and hood would also have to be removed. The engine compartment would have to be painted which requires the temporary removal of lots of wiring and electrical components. Without the removal, the job will look like a Mickey Mouse job. My Dad was the body shop foreman for our local dealership with over 26 years of experience and he said he wouldn't touch a repaint for less than $4000.00. Lots to pay for a custom color. You would be better off to wait for the first Sol to be trashed in an accident and buy it and rebuild it as a project. Lots of work but very rewarding. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I had my 97 GTP repainted the same color, just because of a lot of little stone chips and a few scratches - it was easier for the shop to sand the whole hood than to fill in all the dimples. Remember that the factory paint is baked and that the robots get into all the nooks and crannies. A repaint will not be as "hard" and resistant to elements.

Other side of coin is I sat in on a paint seminar and the guy drove black which was a notoriously bad factory color. He had his new car repainted in the first month, of course his labor and materials were free.

Swatthefly won't like this suggestion (because of what he does for a living) and you won't either with a new car, but if your car gets sufficient damage in an accident that calls for a total repaint, the insurance co. will pay for any color paint you pick out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
achieftain said:
Swatthefly won't like this suggestion (because of what he does for a living) and you won't either with a new car, but if your car gets sufficient damage in an accident that calls for a total repaint, the insurance co. will pay for any color paint you pick out.
AHHH! now i dont want anyone here to get their insurance from me!

just kidding! ;)

true, true. if you have damage to your car where you need the car to be rapainted (even if its not the whole car, but who wants a red fender on a blue car? superman?) then you will be able to select your color. depending on who your insurance adjuster is, as achieftain said, you may be able to get the new color with all the labor and everything and have it covered, however, if you get a nasty adjuster, then he/she may only give you what it would cost to have the original color.

but ladies and gentlemen... dont wreck your car just so you can get a different color! :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Idea: Don't paint mine... let me do it!

I was watching an episode of The Simpsons the other day where Homer walks into a Krusty Burger restaurant and on the menu there is a small sign for the bugers exclaiming "Now without lettuce!" :lol:

So, that got me wondering if I can order a car without a paint job so I can take it to a bodyshop and get my own custom paint-job, maybe. Has anyone ever heard of getting a car from the manufacturerer entirely unpainted?

-greg-

·
Registered
670 Posts
make mine primer gray

If you can I would sign up because my wife would give her right arm for burnt orange but wants a first one and will not wait. :cool:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Painting your own

GM used to allow this with the Corvette...back in the racign days. They have figured out economies of scale now and they like everything to be much like a cookie cutter. That is why you won't see manual windows in a Vette again...even though the Z06 hardcore guys wanted them. GM looks at the cost to install and the cost to put in another step in the process. The cost to put in is usually cheaper due to the wages being paid on the assembly line.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Scion line of cars can be ordered in Primer...might just be the big boxy one or they were at least talking about it a while back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts