Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I said on another thread, I sent out e-mails to seven dealers in the Houston area saying I'd love to buy a 2006 Solstice from them if they could assure me I wouldn't pay over MSRP+TTL. Only one responded positively, but he wouldn't take a deposit yet. Well I just now got this e-mail from one of the other six dealers and it was so good I though I'd share it:
Dear David,
I spoke to our Pontiac Manager and he said you can bring a deposit but he
can't guarantee the price because we don't know how many we will get. We
haven't started ordering them yet. We should know more by the end of the
month.
If you want to bring a deposit by you can and if we find out we are not
getting very many in and the price isn't right for you I will give it back
to you without a problem.
ARRGGGHHH!!! :brentil: The wolves have got the scent and they're circling round us with mark ups in their eyes!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
DreamerDave said:
The wolves have got the scent and they're circling round us with mark ups in their eyes!
You got that right. Too bad all the dealers by you seem tough, some are finding decent ones here and there but it seems like hit or miss.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
It definately sounds like they are thinking of doing a markup. "If the price isn't right." Yeah, he isn't talking about MSRP! :brentil: :cuss:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Looks like GTOJ is going to be your best bet. See what he can do about having one delivered to your area, or whatever else he can do. Whatever it is it'll be cheaper then any markup these fools want to tag on.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
We won't take the best advice in this situation, which would be to run, not walk away from ALL dealers that addon over MSRP until they get stuck with their own oversupply and have to liquidate them at $500 UNDER INVOICE! :lol:

·
Registered
82 Posts
achieftain said:
We won't take the best advice in this situation, which would be to run, not walk away from ALL dealers that addon over MSRP until they get stuck with their own oversupply and have to liquidate them at $500 UNDER INVOICE! :lol:
Funny, Never going to happen. :crazy:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Everyone should run from gouging dealers, but if they end up having to sell Sol's for $500 under invoice, this car is going to be in serious trouble! :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
Patience, six months after the dealers start getting them they'll be at MSRP. Luckily got my Elise early at original MSRP, but now you can even get those at MSRP in the N East right now and only going to be 2200 of them.

Remember the PT cruiser, everyone was marking them up, a year later they deep discounted them to unload them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey guys I know Dave's situation. I heard the same thing when the GTO came out last year and it has started this year with the 2005 GTO but never fear here at Sewell we don't charge anything but MSRP and not a penny over. My owner wrote the book it is called "Customers for Life" his name is Carl Sewell. At my dealership we do business differently. Every order that I take off of this website you guys get FREE WINDOW TINT with purchase of the Solstice.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Have any of these problems been sent to GM? The dealers are what will kill this car and I'd hate to see it happen. I doubt GM would take action, but look at what the dealers did to the GTO when it first came out.

I wish there was a way to just cut out the dealer. :cuss:

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
Have any of these problems been sent to GM? The dealers are what will kill this car and I'd hate to see it happen. I doubt GM would take action, but look at what the dealers did to the GTO when it first came out.

I wish there was a way to just cut out the dealer. :cuss:
Car Manufacturers need to take a queue from DELL.

·
Registered
82 Posts
MSRP= manufacturer suggested retail price. GM would not do anything about price increases.
It doesn't mean all dealers do it. When they do, it never lasts. If you can't find a dealer in you area that will sell at MSRP, be patient, they will. :yesnod:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Actually, manufacturers do not like it when dealers gouge. The manufacturer makes no extra money on it, and they end up taking an image hit from the consumers, who invariably blame the manufacturer.

I have seen rumor that GM has "punished" dealers who gouged GTO's and SSR's by cutting their allocations of those and other future niche products. Gouging has been blamed for the dissappointing sales of both vehicles, since it turned many initial buyers away who did not come back. I don't know if its true or a rumor however.

·
4,592 Posts
bullseye said:
Patience, six months after the dealers start getting them they'll be at MSRP. Luckily got my Elise early at original MSRP, but now you can even get those at MSRP in the N East right now and only going to be 2200 of them.

Remember the PT cruiser, everyone was marking them up, a year later they deep discounted them to unload them.

welcome bullseye!!!

you hit it dead on, gouging only happens if the public allows it, period! Wait, and the Sol will be yours for a bargain, MSRP a thing of the past....

RODEO

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dealer Deal

:willy: I just placed my order tonight with my local dealer. MSRP plus TTL, that's it. Only wanted a $50 deposit because "since it is months before the car comes in, it just wouldn't be right to take more." I am the sixth person he has takne an order for a Solstice so far. Now all I have to do...is wait.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ouch! Show off!
But I'm still hopeful.

She will be mine! Oh yes, she will be mine! Wayne's World

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
This morning I "placed my order" with the local Pontiac dealer. In quotes because it's still a Salesman Worksheet Order as the manager says GM is not yet officially taking dealer orders on the Solstice via their computer system. But I received the same deal as others: MSRP + TTL with a $300 fully refundable deposit. All in all, I'm MUCH happier than I was yesterday - with the advent of the SI cover advertisement, I was seriously concerned that the later I got something written up, the less my chances would be of getting exactly what I wanted THIS summer. :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Great news. I agree with you that if you want one this summer you need to get on a list soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My experience was the same as SolsticeWaiting. Just a salesman order until they can officially load it into the computer. I need a new car soon (my personal mechanic for my '88 BMW 325i Convt-my son-is going back to college and will no longer be available) so that is why I will not be waiting until next year. Of course, soon is a relative term-"Summer 2005", whenever that may be.
Now if I could only decide on what color I really want....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts