Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I thought the Lotus Elise forum was active, where I've been for the past year!
Wow! Anyway, hello!

After multiple price increases, test drives, and "really examining" the Lotus Elise in detail, I came within a month of picking up my car after having it on order since last September.

But I've got to tell you, as a car guy, this Pontiac is every bit the "ground up from the design stage" vehicle that the Lotus is, with it being "stateside." When I look at the fact that my Lotus was priced at $50,000.00, you have got to believe that my wife is extremely happy that I am ordering my car today, ( Sly with two tone leather, chrome wheels, etc.) at half the price. And by the way, whatever "bugs" emerge from this first production run, it can't be any worse than what the Elise has spawned ( by reading their Forum.)

Glad to be a part of you all...I've got a lot of reading to do!

Bob in Utah! :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Welcome Bob, Lotus is awesome but you'll get tons more space in the Solstice too. Heard they are a tight fit.

:cheers:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I saw an Elise drive up my road here a few days ago... BEAUTY of a car. Definition of "exotic" I'd say where the Sol is more "roadster-sport"... 2 different cars in different leagues(despite obvious similarities).. Both good cars nonetheless. I've always loved the way Lotus' looked since the olden days of the Esprit... Like a "diet ferrari".. or Ferrari-lite

·
Registered
126 Posts
Also saw my first Elise here in Michigan a couple of days ago -- bright yellow -- very slick, but alas its price takes it out of my league!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Welcome aboard! You've chosen wisely! I fell you or anyone that choses a Solstice over a Lotus is making the right decision. I'm all for getting a car made at home. I feel the Solstice is a much more practical choice for everyday and/or weekends/track driving. Now another wait begins for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
753 Posts
i've heard that the new lotus is a fun ride but not a candidate for a daily driver. i pulled alongside one on my commute to work a few weeks back....it is really small! i think it's smaller than an mr2 toyota... the guy driving it must have needed a shoe horn to get in. the esprit was a much larger car that the elise.
i'm with you on the the optimism for the solstice. the chassis is ground up as a roadster and to my eye seems constructed along a similar vein as the lotus- a rigid boxed center tunnel and the suspension pushed out to the corners.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The Lotus is a fabulous car, and I cannot even imagine how much fun it would be to drive. However, it is essentially a race car too, with a smallish interior, not a ton of creature comforts, ride on the harsh side from what I have read. I think it could be a little much for a lot of people.

Welcome to our forum, and I hope you really enjoy your Solstice!

·
4,592 Posts
where ya at in utah, that's one beautiful state! i've been through the parks there 8-9 times!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Bob in Utah said:
Hello All!

I thought the Lotus Elise forum was active, where I've been for the past year!
Wow! Anyway, hello!

After multiple price increases, test drives, and "really examining" the Lotus Elise in detail, I came within a month of picking up my car after having it on order since last September.

But I've got to tell you, as a car guy, this Pontiac is every bit the "ground up from the design stage" vehicle that the Lotus is, with it being "stateside." When I look at the fact that my Lotus was priced at $50,000.00, you have got to believe that my wife is extremely happy that I am ordering my car today, ( Sly with two tone leather, chrome wheels, etc.) at half the price. And by the way, whatever "bugs" emerge from this first production run, it can't be any worse than what the Elise has spawned ( by reading their Forum.)

Glad to be a part of you all...I've got a lot of reading to do!

Bob in Utah! :grouphug:

I was *THIS CLOSE* to buying an Elise earlier this year. Found a dealer at EliseTalk that was willing to sell it at the old MSRP before the increase, had called GEICO and was all set with an insurance quote. Everything was just great until I actually SAT in the Elise.

The Elise is not a car you can actually drive around the city, it's a track car. It's ridiculously sparse inside, and TINY. Even if your a small person the car is absurd to get in and out of. Plus, don't forget the waiver that Lotus got because the car cannot pass 5mph crash tests, this thing is not something you would realistically driver anywhere.

The Elise is beautiful, no question. But not only is it expensive, it's a car that realistically can only be driven on special occasions. The Solstice is a car you can drive anywhere. It's a real car!

If your rich, you can have an Elise along with your 20 other cars that you never drive. I'm not that guy.

Flagg

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Flagg said:
I was *THIS CLOSE* to buying an Elise earlier this year. Found a dealer at EliseTalk that was willing to sell it at the old MSRP before the increase, had called GEICO and was all set with an insurance quote. Everything was just great until I actually SAT in the Elise.

The Elise is not a car you can actually drive around the city, it's a track car. It's ridiculously sparse inside, and TINY. Even if your a small person the car is absurd to get in and out of. Plus, don't forget the waiver that Lotus got because the car cannot pass 5mph crash tests, this thing is not something you would realistically driver anywhere.

The Elise is beautiful, no question. But not only is it expensive, it's a car that realistically can only be driven on special occasions. The Solstice is a car you can drive anywhere. It's a real car!

If your rich, you can have an Elise along with your 20 other cars that you never drive. I'm not that guy.

Flagg
You said the car was rediculously sparse inside. Could you elaborate? Give us some details on what it is missing and should have?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
On my way home today travelling north on US 41 through Green Bay I saw what I thought was a Ferarri quickly approaching in my rear view mirror. As the bright read machine came along side I looked down from my GMC and still thought it was one of Enzo's creations! Then as it sped ahead there it was "Lotus" Elise on the rear name plates. Surprised? You bet. Not having followed Lotus fortunes of late, and parden my ignorance, but is Lotus still owned by GM or did they sell it off? It they did they shouldn't have.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was one of the first to own an Elise in the U.S. It was great fun to drive but impossible to enjoy as a daily driver. Getting in and out, esp. with the top on was painful and the cockpit cramped (I am 6ft, 185lbs). Sold it after 6 months and got a Civic Si hatchback. One of the most fun cars I have had and I have owned S2000, 350Z roadster, SLK, AudiTT, MiniCooperS. Can't wait to get my Solstice.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
gvoeller said:
...I have owned S2000, 350Z roadster, SLK, AudiTT, MiniCooperS. Can't wait to get my Solstice.
Wow, an impressive list of cars.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
mceb said:
Welcome Bob, Lotus is awesome but you'll get tons more space in the Solstice too. Heard they are a tight fit.

:cheers:
?Only car on planet with smaller trunk than Sol?
USATODAY said:
Trunk space is sufficient for the removable top and a couple of backpacks, gym bags or briefcases. No room for golf clubs other than in the passenger's seat.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Bob, now you can spend the 25k you saved on accessories for your SLY baby!!! Welcome :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
solstice / elise

I am happy that the sol is much more to my tastes in design than the elise. nothing against the elise. the sol will be another gm classic one day. no doubt in my mind. every car i owned in the 60's became a pricey classic. I see no difference here. I wish I had the resolve to put one in storage for 20 years. :) no chance! I intend to drive the wheels off of it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts